• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collectors of baseball cards striking out

802 posts in this topic

This was the last sports card I held onto before I sold it on eBay in college back in 2000. Griffey is my favorite player of all time.

If he didn't get hurt so much he would have destroyed Hank Aarons HR record. (Bonds doesn't count IMO)

I might re-buy it one day just for nostalgia.

The issue of value with sports cards is once they retire the demand really does go down, plus if they don't perform value also decreases of course.

1989_Upper_Deck_Ken_Griffey_Jr.jpg

Just curious I know there are many different sports card grading services out there in the marketplace unlike in comics so a question for some of you guys that still collect sports card is.....

What company(s) grading standards seem to have the most validity in the sports cards marketplace. Meaning if you wanted your Micky Mantle rookie card graded who would you send it to? Who wouldn't you send it to? Cause we all know a CGC graded book is more trusted & sells for more than a PGX etc.

John, how many you want?? I got about 30 factory sets in my closet. With your bankroll you should over pay me for it.

Bring one to San Diego. ;)

By the Way, i would go with Beckett for grading. They are the toughest on grades. PSA has come back from years of sheistiness from what i understand. Do not use Global. As far as authenticating signatures, use JSA Jimmy Spence authentication.
i maybe wrong here but was psa complicit in the honus wagner card having possibly being trimmed? or did the author of the honus card book(the name of the book escapes me at the moment) just hint that maybe that was the case?

No, you are correct. In the book, "The Card" they detail how the Wagner Card was cut from an uncut sheet in Long Island. The Wagner Card was the first card that PSA graded to make a splash. The owner of the card, Mastro, and the head of PSA were buddies. Mastro had a buyer for the card as long as it wasnt restored. So, it didnt come back restored.

The sad part was that the other cards from that uncut sheet were destroyed. If that sheet was still in tact, no doubt it should be north of 5 million dollars today. Sad how greedy people are.

a question for arexcrooke; do you think the prohibitive cost of a box of cards,with no chance of getting a set or even half of a set has driven the kids away?for example my grandson loves the topps heritage cards,but with a box being 75 dollars plus, and no chance of completing it for under 200.00 that puts him out of the game. whereas he claims for about 40.00 total,he has a shot at completing a magic set,or whatever the new cards along that line are. now back in the 70's my allowance and paper route i could afford to buy a box of 1975 topps for about 3.60 and could buy 3 or 4 boxes over the summer and complete a set. i did that with topps,donruss and fleer,right up until the early 90's. and i think the heritage cards are nice,but what would it cost to build a set of these,using the old way?

Man. I wish I could get a set of Magic for $40. A recent complete set runs $200-$300. A rare comes in every pack that is valued from $1.00-$80.00. My daughter bought a pack at Walmart the other day and pulled two rares out of the pack. One valued at $10 and the other at $40. The odds of pulling valued cards are greatly higher in Magic cards than sports cards. A lot of kids are purchasing magic cards and more and more each year.

they may be magic cards that my grandson buys,but he sure seems to like the fact he can get a set done. i know he trades with alot of friends. i think he's got a network of buddies to swap with!

By the Way, i would go with Beckett for grading. They are the toughest on grades. PSA has come back from years of sheistiness from what i understand. Do not use Global. As far as authenticating signatures, use JSA Jimmy Spence authentication.
i maybe wrong here but was psa complicit in the honus wagner card having possibly being trimmed? or did the author of the honus card book(the name of the book escapes me at the moment) just hint that maybe that was the case?

No, you are correct. In the book, "The Card" they detail how the Wagner Card was cut from an uncut sheet in Long Island. The Wagner Card was the first card that PSA graded to make a splash. The owner of the card, Mastro, and the head of PSA were buddies. Mastro had a buyer for the card as long as it wasnt restored. So, it didnt come back restored.

The sad part was that the other cards from that uncut sheet were destroyed. If that sheet was still in tact, no doubt it should be north of 5 million dollars today. Sad how greedy people are.

i recall reading the book from my local library while i was down from surgery. it sure put some things in perspective for me as hobbies go.

No way. I've used both. Beckett has gone down hill in the last 9 years. They are no where near as careful as they were when they first started out (and had something to prove). They are by far, one of the worst at spotting trimmed cards and a lot of this stems from their policy of accepting cards that have been professionally sheet cut versus cut from the original factory. If you look at all the big auction houses, there's really only two players in the game. SGC for pre-war cards, and PSA for everything else. I would stick with PSA.

This is one of the primary reasons why I will not use or buy another Beckett graded card again.

trimmed_bradycards.jpg

i recall reading the book from my local library while i was down from surgery. it sure put some things in perspective for me as hobbies go.

Yep. Probably the biggest mistake PSA ever made. They have long since changed their policy and sheet cut cards are not acceptable for grading. At best, a non-numeric grade of "Authentic" is the only thing grade they can assign.

a question for arexcrooke; do you think the prohibitive cost of a box of cards,with no chance of getting a set or even half of a set has driven the kids away?for example my grandson loves the topps heritage cards,but with a box being 75 dollars plus, and no chance of completing it for under 200.00 that puts him out of the game. whereas he claims for about 40.00 total,he has a shot at completing a magic set,or whatever the new cards along that line are. now back in the 70's my allowance and paper route i could afford to buy a box of 1975 topps for about 3.60 and could buy 3 or 4 boxes over the summer and complete a set. i did that with topps,donruss and fleer,right up until the early 90's. and i think the heritage cards are nice,but what would it cost to build a set of these,using the old way?

Man. I wish I could get a set of Magic for $40. A recent complete set runs $200-$300. A rare comes in every pack that is valued from $1.00-$80.00. My daughter bought a pack at Walmart the other day and pulled two rares out of the pack. One valued at $10 and the other at $40. The odds of pulling valued cards are greatly higher in Magic cards than sports cards. A lot of kids are purchasing magic cards and more and more each year.

they may be magic cards that my grandson buys,but he sure seems to like the fact he can get a set done. i know he trades with alot of friends. i think he's got a network of buddies to swap with!

That is good. I encourage my kids to collect as it exercises their creativity and organizational skills.

That is good. I encourage my kids to collect as it exercises their creativity and organizational skills.

yes and i am getting him to read some of my marvel masterworks and dc archives and have given him several marvel essentials and dc showcase presents trades. he seems to enjoy them

No way. I've used both. Beckett has gone down hill in the last 9 years. They are no where near as careful as they were when they first started out (and had something to prove). They are by far, one of the worst at spotting trimmed cards and a lot of this stems from their policy of accepting cards that have been professionally sheet cut versus cut from the original factory. If you look at all the big auction houses, there's really only two players in the game. SGC for pre-war cards, and PSA for everything else. I would stick with PSA.

This is one of the primary reasons why I will not use or buy another Beckett graded card again.

trimmed_bradycards.jpg

You very well might be right. I havent gotten a card graded in a long time. I usually buy them raw nowadays. SGC ticked me off 15 years ago with a Dan Marino rookie card i got graded. The card was flawless to my eye. I waited and waited to find the perfect one. Most of them are off-centered. I bought the card at guide value 6-7 years before grading became popular. They graded it an 88 and said they lost the graders notes on it. Left a bad taste with me.

Thats funny, not funny that you had surgery. But i read the book while i was recovering from surgery as well.

damn open heart in 2009,so did lot's of reading that year. i know that book left a sour taste in my mouth. do you know,was there a book done on upper deck and some of the things that went on then? i recall reading somewhere about an upper deck expose' being done or in the works.

I think the point that Arex was making was the fact that sports cards aren't as dead as most people think they are. In Toronto they have have a semi annual show that features 500 tables at $1,000+ per booth and twenty five to thirty thousand people attending. Sure it's not the 50,000 - 80,000 people it once was but it's still pretty viable, and it is basically a hockey card show.

It ain't quite San Diego, but it's far from a stamp collectors swap meet.

Jim

I think the point that Arex was making was the fact that sports cards aren't as dead as most people think they are. In Toronto they have have a semi annual show that features 500 tables at $1,000+ per booth and twenty five to thirty thousand people attending. Sure it's not the 50,000 - 80,000 people it once was but it's still pretty viable, and it is basically a hockey card show.

It ain't quite San Diego, but it's far from a stamp collectors swap meet. oh i never doubted what arex was saying,but i know the kid's in my neck of the woods are not into cards,anymore. of course they have many distractions that we didnt,i.e.,ps3s,xbox,cells,i pods and ipads. i told my grandson i had a ps3 back in the 60's. 2 gi joes and a pile of dirt. he looked at me and said whats a gi joe?

Jim

damn open heart in 2009,so did lot's of reading that year. i know that book left a sour taste in my mouth. do you know,was there a book done on upper deck and some of the things that went on then? i recall reading somewhere about an upper deck expose' being done or in the works.

This was great reading like the Mint Condition book.

All about the rise and fall of the Upper Deck Empire!

Card-Sharks-197x300.jpg

Card-Sharks-197x300.jpg

thank you! looks like a must read. were there allegations of u.d. going back to press several times in 89? i seem to recall hearing something along those lines

Three spine surgeries for me. Hope you are doing better. I think I actually read about the Upper Deck scandal in the same book.

Card-Sharks-197x300.jpg

thank you! looks like a must read. were there allegations of u.d. going back to press several times in 89? i seem to recall hearing something along those lines

Yes there is lots of shadiness. ;)

Three spine surgeries for me. Hope you are doing better. I think I actually read about the Upper Deck scandal in the same book.

oh yes,doing well.just passed a nuclear stress test 3 wks ago,and impressed my cardiologist this past week,as my heart has healed from the major heart attack 3 yrs ago.