• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UK only selling-area

47 posts in this topic

This might not be the right forum, but it didn't seem appropriate to start a thread in the sales forum:

I was wondering if there might be any interest in a UK-targetted "for sale" sub-forum? From what I have seen here so far there are quite a lot of UK boardies kicking around.

I know that pretty much everyone who sells on here offers shipping to the UK, but the trouble is the postage charges, which (even when you're talking exact cost) come pretty close to wiping out the advantage you get from people offering decent prices - so unless you're after a really rare book there's almost no point in getting involved.

Others may disagree - and I may have over-estimated the UK presence - but I for one would be keen to have a little space where UK buyers and sellers could look at smaller sales more cost-effectively.

Any thoughts?

Why not narrow it down some more, maybe a place where only people that live within walking distance from you can buy and sell...imagine the savings...no more postal charges. :whee:

Why not narrow it down some more, maybe a place where only people that live within walking distance from you can buy and sell...imagine the savings...no more postal charges. :whee:

A 'pick up, no shipping' section of the forum? hm:juggle:

Seems easier to have a sales thread and just state where you live. Most of us can figure out shipping domestically will be cheaper.

This might not be the right forum, but it didn't seem appropriate to start a thread in the sales forum:

I was wondering if there might be any interest in a UK-targetted "for sale" sub-forum? From what I have seen here so far there are quite a lot of UK boardies kicking around.

I know that pretty much everyone who sells on here offers shipping to the UK, but the trouble is the postage charges, which (even when you're talking exact cost) come pretty close to wiping out the advantage you get from people offering decent prices - so unless you're after a really rare book there's almost no point in getting involved.

Others may disagree - and I may have over-estimated the UK presence - but I for one would be keen to have a little space where UK buyers and sellers could look at smaller sales more cost-effectively.

Any thoughts?

i like it :fear:

I demand that the Belgium-only forum will be bi-lingual, with a little spot in the center where both languages have to be spoken, simultaneously, badly and at the top of your voice. :sumo:

What would be the benefit of doing this? ???

All the UK boarders sell here already...to anyone happy to pay them.

It looks from this and some later replies as though I wasn't clear enough. I am not suggesting that anyone should only sell to anyone else.

What I meant was that it would be nice:

- for UK buyers to be able to easily identify UK sellers; and

- to create a market for UK sellers to sell lower value items, which I don't believe exists on these boards at the moment.

At the moment I suspect that very few UK sellers will bother listing lower value items as nobody from the States is likely to bother buying when you factor in the shipping charges. Likewise UK buyers are not going to be looking at lower value items from US sellers notwithstanding that they are willing to ship to the UK.

Now, you might say "well every seller makes it clear where they are from, so just look at all the listings you're interested in, and if the seller is from the US and you don't like the shipping charges, don't buy it". Or, you might say "stick to eBay UK". Both of those are fair comment BUT like I said, I think there would be a lot of people that would appreciate a sub-forum.

Obviously sellers and buyers in the UK who didn't want to use it could stick to what they are doing now, or simply list in both forums.

Hopefully that's a bit clearer. Nothing about my idea was intended to be restrictive to anyone, or to prevent anyone from doing exactly what they are doing now. Simply a way of opening things up a bit more.

Incidentally I do buy from US sellers on here and will continue to do so where the book merits the shipping cost.

Further ideas or criticism welcome!

Adam

Adam

Get to know the forum members in this thread and you've probably identified the majority of British boardies.

Then start a group PM just for sales with all of them.

Voila, secret society.

Adam

Get to know the forum members in this thread and you've probably identified the majority of British boardies.

Then start a group PM just for sales with all of them.

Voila, secret society.

Thanks, I didn't know about that thread - or group PMs. Will investigate.

It doesn't solve the problem for the more casual UK user though. I'd still prefer a sub-forum in the selling area though! Maybe I am just lazy...