• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Slab w/ superglue

14 posts in this topic

Got a quick question for some of you. I received two slabs from eBay that look to have super glue added on the sides. It looks like the original owners didn't know the slabs are usually open on the sides a little. I can tell that the slabs weren't tampered w/ before as they came from different ebay sellers. Just my luck both were affected by this. The slabs are intact and crack free. It doesn't look bad but the slabs are sealed up for sure now, ha. Just wondering if this could do damage to the comics. None is on the inside and these aren't of that much value just added pieces to my personal collection.

I don't have the opportunity to take any right now. I'm just going to send them in to get re-graded or re-holdered. Quick question though, on the submission form do I check re-holder or a grading tier? Or both?

I don't have the opportunity to take any right now. I'm just going to send them in to get re-graded or re-holdered. Quick question though, on the submission form do I check re-holder or a grading tier? Or both?

It depends what you want them to do, re-grade (more $$) or re-holder (less $$).

Got a quick question for some of you. I received two slabs from eBay that look to have super glue added on the sides. It looks like the original owners didn't know the slabs are usually open on the sides a little. I can tell that the slabs weren't tampered w/ before as they came from different ebay sellers. Just my luck both were affected by this. The slabs are intact and crack free. It doesn't look bad but the slabs are sealed up for sure now, ha. Just wondering if this could do damage to the comics. None is on the inside and these aren't of that much value just added pieces to my personal collection.

All slabs have what looks like a 1-2" dab of superglue on one side (left or right). This is done with sonic welding to keep the slab from popping open.

If there is more than that, then yeah someone could have glued them.

Check to make sure there are no tamper evident cracks and reseals at the 4 corners of the slab. Those are the safety check points and should be /unstressed.

I wouldn't expect it to damage the book unless the glue was corrosive and ate through the inner liner but if it hasn't happened already you probably have nothing to worry about.

Reholdering the books is about $11 a book.

Shipping to and from would be an additional expense.

All slabs have what looks like a 1-2" dab of superglue on one side (left or right). This is done with sonic welding to keep the slab from popping open.

Check to make sure there are no tamper evident cracks and reseals at the 4 corners of the slab. Those are the safety check points and should be /unstressed.

I wouldn't expect it to damage the book unless the glue was corrosive and ate through the inner liner but if it hasn't happened already you probably have nothing to worry about.

You can tell they used household superglue because of the it's whiteness when it dried, it that makes sense. You know how superglue makes a whitish hue when it dries. Anyway, all corners are in perfect condition and the holders haven't been tampered with. It looks like it did drip a little on the inside but ya'll would know more than I would if standard superglue is corrosive to the inside holder. My question would you get the books redone or just leave them? The books are Wolverine Limited Series #3 at 9.4 and a random copper Uncanny X-men at 9.6.

My understanding of the way super glue works is it bonds on a molecular level so it changes the plastic it touches.

If it's only on the edges of the outer holder, I wouldn't worry about it.

So you bought 2 slabs off ebay, from 2 different sellers, and they BOTH seem to have been super-glued? Dude, that's an astronomical coincidence if true.

I would love to see pics just to be sure you're not seeing the normal CGC glue.

You can tell they used household superglue because of the it's whiteness when it dried, it that makes sense. You know how superglue makes a whitish hue when it dries. Anyway, all corners are in perfect condition and the holders haven't been tampered with. It looks like it did drip a little on the inside but ya'll would know more than I would if standard superglue is corrosive to the inside holder. My question would you get the books redone or just leave them? The books are Wolverine Limited Series #3 at 9.4 and a random copper Uncanny X-men at 9.6.

Neither of those books is worth paying for reholder and shipping fees.

The cost of reholdering is now $12; due in part to the new price increase. The problem is in your case, shipping will be about $25.00 registered each way. This is why it makes sense to reholder a lot of books at once. I usually send in a minimum of ten at a time when I do it.

Just some advice. If you have other books going in for grading, you could easily package both invoices together to save on shipping costs. It is up to you.

Kind Regards,

'mint'