• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM : TALES TO ASTONISH

27 posts in this topic

I just received this TTA today. As a 9.0 but now that I have it in hand it doesn't look like a 9.0. I won't be posting more picture since I wasn't able to see it totally before buying. I want to see how well everyone judges it on this one picture. The bottom left corner has a crease or rip in it. which didn't come up well in this add picture. Please throw me a grade. I hate trying to grade these comics online. I prefer to handle them. I may try to return it even though the add says no returns. :mad:

TalestoAstonish67908000.jpg

Yeah, I can see the crease in the bottom left corner and there is a lot of spine stress going on there. It was overgraded.

It was on Ebay. I'm leaving negative feedback. If it doesn't get resolved

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220972412768?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649.

I think that pic was more then adequate to see that the book was not an 9.0. (unless there are issues with that corner or on the back.) I think this one is on you.

It was on Ebay. I'm leaving negative feedback. If it doesn't get resolved

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220972412768?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649.

I think that pic was more then adequate to see that the book was not an 9.0. (unless there are issues with that corner or on the back.) I think this one is on you.

the corner is a mess imo. it a slice about an inch long. from bottom of staple to bottom of book.

I am sure Ebay will side with you in the end..just go thru proper protocol and he won't have a choice but take it back.

Hopefully lessons learned...don't buy when pic(s) aren't clear or cut off and don't buy from people that sell raw books but won't take returns so you can avoid the hassle all together in the future.

Hi, Nid3: I guess I'd beg to differ, a little. I’m a little closer to Excelsior’s number, on the high end. Mine would be a "qualified" 8.0, which I say because the image is not of great quality, and (as has been pointed out) is itself incomplete, and unaccompanied by back cover. If grading from a scan generally is guesswork, as said in the intro to this forum, then you have us sort of "guessing about guesswork," here.

It could well be my eyesight (or the lack thereof) but I can’t make out the issues along the spine that have been mentioned. (For others similarly challenged, or really everybody, I wanted to mention a free ware tool that I've found very useful here, on eBay, and elsewhere on the Internet: Virtual Magnifying Glass Check it out.

My opinion doesn't matter here, particularly, Nid3, but your peace of mind does. One reason I wanted to chime in was to offer some reassurance, and a different perspective. You needn't be "sickened" by this book. There are cheesy sellers out there and there are thieves and liars, but I'm not yet ready to call this seller out and hang him for any of those offenses. This seems a fine enough copy that we could be dealing with an honest grading mistake/ disagreement.

As I see it, you have been less “victimized” than simply bought a book from one who grades differently. (And as I see it, there's WAY too much inconsistency in the grading done by the CGC itself to even begin to presume that these standards are as clear, simple, or easily applied as is usually assumed, or believed.)

If the book doesn't suit you, by all means return it. There is objective reason to do so, if for no other reason than the cover tear. (I just briefly checked a number of different standards online, and couldn't find any that allowed that particular defect in a 9.0 grade.) In the interests of seeing a happy outcome for all as you do so, my unsolicited advice would be to keep your cool, maybe give it a day or two, and then approach the seller exactly as you would like to be, were the shoe on the other foot. No reason for a war here.

I realize that this is a grading forum, but the reason I’ve responded with more than "just a number" is that I feel you are asking a different, and larger question. Hope you find any of it useful.

Its obviously to me. Since seeing what is written on the backing board That the person selling knew there was a crease in the bottom corner & didn't feel the need to say so in the add. Or they are reselling a book they bought from some else & never noticed it. You can see from this picture the crease runs through the whole corner.Sorry for the poor pic. its just not getting picked up by my cell phone.

032812211738.jpg