• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why the centerfold?

21 posts in this topic

This may seem like the type of goofy question for CG, but I'm serious. Why are detached centerfolds such an issue for Gold books?

I could see if they were poster-type drawings that could be pulled out, but most times they're just normal story pages.

So, why so detached?

I would think its just down to wear and tear, after the covers, the centerfold would seem to be the next weakest area for damage.

Especially on a book thats been read and re-read over the years.

usually, it's from me thumbing up a dealer's book, real subtle-like pulling the cf loose, then pointing it out to the guy with the aim of getting a nice discount in light of the theretofore unknown defect. i usually do it only once per dealer, but it's worked 72 times to date with g.a.tor.

I would think its just down to wear and tear, after the covers, the centerfold would seem to be the next weakest area for damage.

Yeah, and I think the thickness of GA books is a contributing factor, as compared to SA books.

If you look at a lot of GA books, the staple prongs aren't really folded tight against the center, in many cases. I think they were just pushing the amount of paper they could hold with the staple size.

usually, it's from me thumbing up a dealer's book, real subtle-like pulling the cf loose, then pointing it out to the guy with the aim of getting a nice discount in light of the theretofore unknown defect. i usually do it only once per dealer, but it's worked 72 times to date with g.a.tor.

Don't think you are going to achieve time #73 now Billy....you have given away your modus operandi in a public forum.....g.a.tor. will now be wise to your shenanigans.

Yeah, and I think the thickness of GA books is a contributing factor, as compared to SA books.

If you look at a lot of GA books, the staple prongs aren't really folded tight against the center, in many cases. I think they were just pushing the amount of paper they could hold with the staple size.

Yep, makes sense. (thumbs u

Back in the 1930's-1940's those staples had to go through a lot more paper than they had to from 1950's to present. Often only 1 staple would make it all the way through to the centerfold, leaving it weak.

Also, quite often the staples are not dead on the spine, but are on the front or back of the cover and pages. When the books were opened to be read, those centerfolds would come loose.

Hope that helps!

lol

Nice thread. I have had to figure all this out personally, but it didn’t take too much: as I received my very first golden age book, I realized. Also I said: Wow! 64 pages!

Now a comic book has light, glossy paper, costs about 4 dollars and plenty of the pages are really ugly ads. Bleah.

Speaking of widths, did Timely have a wide range of widths during the 40s - 50s? I have several Timely/Atlas books that just don't line up and I don't believe they've been trimmed.

The Timely books definitely were reduced a bit in height as well as width. The differences are often small and I don't know that the precise date of the changes have been documented. GCD does not, unless the size change is significant like it is for Jumbo 1-8, vs 9 vs the rest.

Timely had 3 basic sizes. The large size goes from 1939 to early 1943. Books like All Winners Comics #12 are the mid-size Timely's. They only lasted a few months before they shrank further, resembling Silver Age dimensions.