• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hanging Art on Exterior Walls

5 posts in this topic

I've framed some higher-end pieces of original art recently, and my wife liked them so much she agreed to let me hang them in our finished basement instead of my small, extra bedroom "mancave" (a major step in her acceptance of this hobby!)

They're framed archivally with all acid free materials, museum glass, etc. We have them hung in a climate-controlled finished basement which gets little sunlight; we use the room as a recreation/media room.

I've read in several places that art should not be hung on exterior walls; unfortunately living in Chicago our houses go up, not sideways, so hanging these on "interior" walls is almost impossible.

Should I have any concerns? I hate to move them as they look great, but I also don't want to damage the art over the long term.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Am I being too obsessive here?

Thanks!

Bill

I kind of wondered the same thing... I keep my comics stored on interior walls, but my commissions are all hanging on the exterior wall next to the front door of my house.

It's only been about a year, but the only problems I've had so far are when people slam the door. :)

I've had art on exterior walls for years...no problems. My walls are several inches of plaster, they don't react any differently than the inside walls. My inside walls have closets, doorways and radiators, there is not much room on them.

If I had a house with sheetrock/ no insulation, and I had a valuable piece, I might react differently.

Heh heh, maybe i was too tired, when I was first reading this I thought you guys were talking about hanging art outside the house!

Now I know you are talking about a wall where the other side is outside the house :P

I've actually never considered that, and come to think of it, 2 of the walls I use are exterior walls (and the other 2 are interior walls)

Malvin