• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Church Dispersal

116 posts in this topic

It's such a secret society here sometimes. Unless you're in the clique, you don't know who has what. So I'll join Mr. Berk and list what I have too. They are mostly cast-offs from others since the best of the MHs are locked up, but they are fun to have, nonetheless.

Wings Comics #17 9.8

Wings Comics #21 9.6

Wings Comics #36 9.6

Wings Comics #54 9.6

Wings Comics #55 9.6

Wings Comics #57 9.4

Wings Comics #66 9.8

Wings Comics #69 9.6

Wings Comics #78 7.5

Wings Comics #80 9.6

Wings Comics #82 9.6

Wings Comics #87 9.4

Wings Comics #96 9.4

Wings Comics #98 9.4

Wings Comics #101 9.8

Wings Comics #104 9

Wings Comics #108 9.4

Wings Comics #109 9.4

Wings Comics #110 9.4

Wings Comics #113 9.6

Wow Comics #66 9.2

How did I luck out and get this copy ?

RAD82D4D2010114_135031-1.jpg

My internet connection went down during the auction and I missed out on a few books.

It's such a secret society here sometimes. Unless you're in the clique, you don't know who has what. So I'll join Mr. Berk and list what I have too. They are mostly cast-offs from others since the best of the MHs are locked up, but they are fun to have, nonetheless.

Wings Comics #17 9.8

Wings Comics #21 9.6

Wings Comics #36 9.6

Wings Comics #54 9.6

Wings Comics #55 9.6

Wings Comics #57 9.4

Wings Comics #66 9.8

Wings Comics #69 9.6

Wings Comics #78 7.5

Wings Comics #80 9.6

Wings Comics #82 9.6

Wings Comics #87 9.4

Wings Comics #96 9.4

Wings Comics #98 9.4

Wings Comics #101 9.8

Wings Comics #104 9

Wings Comics #108 9.4

Wings Comics #109 9.4

Wings Comics #110 9.4

Wings Comics #113 9.6

Wow Comics #66 9.2

How did I luck out and get this copy ?

RAD82D4D2010114_135031-1.jpg

My internet connection went down during the auction and I missed out on a few books.

lol(worship)

I get a kick out of the fact that, since filming here, I am the sole owner of the only other collection to come out of the Edgar Church basement.

I am willing to part with it for 6X guide to help fund the rest of the project.

DJ

Thanks for posting this, David. Very cool to see.

This is Ground Zero:

Note the plumbing. The main floor bathtub sits directly above the interior of the closet. In those days, as opposed to boring a 2" hole to fit the tub drain down and through, they simply cut a 1 s.f. section out of the subfloor. It is just dumb luck that there was never a leak or overflow that would have spilled directly onto the collection.

Edgar's office is the open door to the right.

EdgarsClosetWatermarked002.jpg

+1

I have 14 issues of the Wonder Woman run between numbers #18-59. I refer to it as my "Good, Bad and Ugly" collection since the grades are all over the place. :P
the "monk" run (thumbs u

The majority of the books are part of the "monk" run. I did purchase a few other other issues though that fortunately the monk never got his hands on. That is the "good" part of the collection. lol

I owned the MH Wonder Woman #6 & #10 for about 10 years. Do you have either of them? The were both REALLY nice!

I have 14 issues of the Wonder Woman run between numbers #18-59. I refer to it as my "Good, Bad and Ugly" collection since the grades are all over the place. :P
the "monk" run (thumbs u

The majority of the books are part of the "monk" run. I did purchase a few other other issues though that fortunately the monk never got his hands on. That is the "good" part of the collection. lol

I owned the MH Wonder Woman #6 & #10 for about 10 years. Do you have either of them? The were both REALLY nice!

Don't have either the #6 or #10. I remember the #6 was for sale in one of Parrino's earliest catalogues as a 9.2 for something like 10K. I don't think it has been out on the public market since then. I don't think I have ever seen the #10 in a slab.

Thought I would share a little detective work I've done.

The first link is Google Street for the Church residence.

You can click and drag to view 360 degrees & see the entire neighborhood. Google Street

This second link is to the just released 1940 Census.

Edgar Church is shown about mid page. Church 1940 Census page

Interesting that the highest grade he completed was 8th grade.

You have to remember that America of 1940 was largely farm based. Being a High School graduate was an achievement. Being a college graduate was the exception to the rule. It was an entirely different world than it is today.

Has it ever been determined where Edgar bought his comics?

I've been meaning to do an old phone directory search. I've been tracking down his old addresses. He lived at 5 [known] addresses all within 1 square mile. I've taken photos of each (says alot about me).

But, by the time he started the colletion he was at the house we've seen.

That house is 50 yards off a wider street (read: bus route through a residential neighborhood). On that busier street are two opposite corner structures that were small markets and I suspect newsstand. These are both just a few hundred yards from his house. Of course, this may be totally off. My supposition is that given the shear volume, it would have to be a welcome, easy stroll.

"The Readers Guild", where he bought the used issues from 1952-58 (no longer in business), was on a blvd. in a different direction, but still just a half mile away. This neighborhood is a prewar suburb, city close, and extremely walkable, though, of course by the 50's, everybody drove to their nextdoor neighbors, seemingly.

Maybe I'll post a few pics of the markets. I don't know...is this interesting to anyone else?

Has it ever been determined where Edgar bought his comics?

I've been meaning to do an old phone directory search. I've been tracking down his old addresses. He lived at 5 [known] addresses all within 1 square mile. I've taken photos of each (says alot about me).

But, by the time he started the colletion he was at the house we've seen.

That house is 50 yards off a wider street (read: bus route through a residential neighborhood). On that busier street are two opposite corner structures that were small markets and I suspect newsstand. These are both just a few hundred yards from his house. Of course, this may be totally off. My supposition is that given the shear volume, it would have to be a welcome, easy stroll.

"The Readers Guild", where he bought the used issues from 1952-58 (no longer in business), was on a blvd. in a different direction, but still just a half mile away. This neighborhood is a prewar suburb, city close, and extremely walkable, though, of course by the 50's, everybody drove to there nextdoor neighbors, seemingly.

Maybe I'll post a few pics of th markets. I don't know...is this interesting to anyone else?

Heck yeah. Post away. :popcorn:

Heck yeah. Post away. :popcorn:

Fuelman,

Have you seen the video, BTW? I still have it out on YouTube. Been meaning to take it down. But it's fun to see if I can get views from all 50 states and just how many foreign countries.

Don't have the link to it at the moment. But just search "Greatest comic book collection ever". You'll see the 'hood and the house. in some parts.

Please, no grief about what my "Chuck" looks like. He was just a stand-in. He was the right age...yes, that's what 21 looks like nowadays.

This is Ground Zero:

Note the plumbing. The main floor bathtub sits directly above the interior of the closet. In those days, as opposed to boring a 2" hole to fit the tub drain down and through, they simply cut a 1 s.f. section out of the subfloor. It is just dumb luck that there was never a leak or overflow that would have spilled directly onto the collection.

Edgar's office is the open door to the right.

EdgarsClosetWatermarked002.jpg

Hard to imagine that someday, within that closet, was a 100 Mil ??? collection of funny books by today benchmark.