• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

digital comics.. why not?

121 posts in this topic

There is nothing wrong with FREE digital comics, but I'm not paying one red cent for air.

Amen brother. :applause:

No cable, dish, broadband, iTunes,?? Nothing? Rough way to live. :eek:

j/k. :D Maybe they'll figure out some physical packaging in the future, something on a peg rack. :wishluck: Who knows. Or just think of a tablet like a cable box & screen portable combo device.

I think the tide is turning for digital...pure convenience and lots of leisure devices now to enjoy them. I suspect when all print comics becomes history those printed books might be more collectible than you think.

Also thumbs up on the trading books...I plan on dropping Walking Dead after #100 and then TPBs after that.

:news: Throwing in the 'proprietary' towel...

Graphicly Switches From Digital Comics Distribution To Ebooks Distribution

"With more than two hundred million tablets and smart phones in the world, all with native ereaders, we are helping publishers bring their stories to the widest possible audience in a way that no single app could."

graphiclylogo-horblackfinal.jpg

Me too. I'm a big fan of open source but I have an Apple Mac, two iphones, ipad and soon Apple TV in the house. Sigh.

My future is all about owning and storing less stuff so digital is the way to go for me. I just look for keys and a few small silver and bronze age run books these days. I have a dream of geting my collection down to a few boxes of really good stuff.

Just emailed Comixology this morning actually:

"Hi there. My DC purchases synced into my Comixology account but my Marvel purchases from the Marvel App did not. I already wasted $2 thinking that if I downloaded a book I previously purchased through the Marvel App that would automatically download it without charging me. I wanted to use one App but find myself back to using the DC app and the Marvel app to handle my comic downloads. Any advice? I already tried to delete all three apps and reinstalling. Still... no Marvel."

As of now I deleted the Comixology account. Hey, if it doesn't work out it is Comixology's loss not mine. I still have my copies in their respective DC and Marvel Apps. The only one that really loses here is non Marvel and DC publishers and Comixology themselves as they will not be receiving a piece of the action.

Let's see if the response time is quicker than certain other companies.

Sorry to hear the news. I just checked my DC app vs the Comixology App and everything's there for download.

Here's the rub though, most people don't have infinite space on their iPad, so at some point, there won't be enough room for every single comic to actually be downloaded.

Right now, my Comixology App takes up 2.9 Gigs and is by far the largest App on my iPad.

Yeah, DC is fine, it is the Marvel portion that is not working. Like I said... no big deal it simply keeps everything separate into two apps. I am not a fan of keeping stuff that does not work so that means that there will be no other publishers on my iPad. I am mostly downloading Golden Age stuff or a few sample issues here and there. I do not plain on buying my one monthly purchase digitally.

Sorry to hear the news. I just checked my DC app vs the Comixology App and everything's there for download.

Here's the rub though, most people don't have infinite space on their iPad, so at some point, there won't be enough room for every single comic to actually be downloaded.

Right now, my Comixology App takes up 2.9 Gigs and is by far the largest App on my iPad.

I really think I am going to start reading monthly titles on the Kindle. If I wait a month the prices drop by a dollar which is a bigger savings than the one I get at my LCS. The title never sells out making back issues cheap and easy to find. For example I just read the JLA WW3 story arc on the Kindle for it as easier and cheaper to find the issues on Comixology then it was at my LCS or online. $1.99 an issue and instant delivery is a big advantage.

Now it's true that there is only so much space on the Kindle so I will run out of room, but I can just delete issues from my device for it should stay linked to my account available for download at a later date. What difference does it make if I buy the newest Batman in digital format read it and never look at it again as apposed to doing the same with a physical copy?

Now I still intend to buy physical copies mostly back issues that I want to own. I may even continue to buy some new issues off the rack, but a lot of my new comic buying will be in the digital format, the main type being mini-series titles. I'll just wait until the mini is over and buy all issues at one time. The books are cheaper, I can read them all at once and I don't have to wait 6-12 months for the trade.

Im still not back to buying or reading comics like I used to be, but I can see a clear advantage in the immediate gratification aspects of downloadable comics. Im sure nearly all of us will come to the same conclusion.

I can understand the appeal of digital comics for some but it's not for me. Having something tangible that I can hold and call my own will always be more important to me than the gratification of an instant download.

I agree. Plus the battery never runs out on a physical comic the way it does on a kindle or iPad....

Im still not back to buying or reading comics like I used to be, but I can see a clear advantage in the immediate gratification aspects of downloadable comics. Im sure nearly all of us will come to the same conclusion.

I can understand the appeal of digital comics for some but it's not for me. Having something tangible that I can hold and call my own will always be more important to me than the gratification of an instant download.

I agree. Plus the battery never runs out on a physical comic the way it does on a kindle or iPad....

Uh... Your mom could throw it away.

Lose your iPad and your comic is still there in cyberspace.

The one good thing about digital comics is the ability to read GA titles that I would not be able to any other way. There are some cool stories that I may never read due to the price of the book in question or just the fact that I may never see it for sale.

Now I would love to own a copy of Exciting Comics #39 and someday I may I just want to read the story now.

I also see the possibility of new creators breaking into the industry. They may have a great idea but the setup cost for a print book is just to high. They could sell their book online and not have to worry about distribution costs, printing costs and comic shops that don't want to take a gamble on a new title. I expect that there will be a day when this happens and the title sells so well that Marvel or DC make an offer to the creators and an actual physical copy is on the stands all due to the digital format.

Also this may be a way to reach the youth market. My stepson (OK he's 21 so youth is a relative term) has never had a desire to go to the comic shop with me, but he seems to enjoy reading copies of Walking Dead on my Kindle. Of course this may have more to do with the TV show than the digital format, but hey it's a start.

For 99 cents I just bought Kamandi #1 to check it out. Cheaper than getting it at a Comic Book Store and if I REALLY like it. Thanks!

'Kamandi' on the iPad .. for portability and conveniance. My Omnibus stays at home, in the library.

DSCF0010-1.jpg

For 99 cents I just bought Kamandi #1 to check it out. Cheaper than getting it at a Comic Book Store and if I REALLY like it. Thanks!

'Kamandi' on the iPad .. for portability and conveniance. My Omnibus stays at home, in the library.

DSCF0010-1.jpg

And it's in 10.0!

:news: Freebie alert.

Harley-Davidson free Avengers comic + contest

free starting today on the Marvel Comics app.

"Avengers: Heroes Arise #1 is written by Jeff Parker and drawn by Manuel Garcia, with a cover by Adam Kubert and Frank D'Armata. This comic will feature the stars of the upcoming Avengers movie (coincidence?): Captain America, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Iron Man, Thor and The Hulk. Of course, our heroes will be riding Harley-Davidson motorcycles."

b.510.0.16777215.0..stories3.newstemplate.4f8dcc6ae57d0-2.jpg

I think the tide is turning for digital...pure convenience and lots of leisure devices now to enjoy them. I suspect when all print comics becomes history those printed books might be more collectible than you think

Nice thought...

but that's not the way supply and demand works.