• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

digital comics.. why not?

121 posts in this topic

Ive been reading and collecting comics all my life. I love print comics like most of you do. Lately, I quit reading new comics. Just lost interest in amassing a new pile of them week after week, reading a few, skimming a few, and ignoring a lot.

So, recently, as I heard about the Batman Owls storyline, and watching Walking Dead on TV, I suddenly realize that even at 3AM, If I want, I can download ANY new comics I might want on a whim to read right now! I tore thru the Batmans in an hour. (great series!)

and thats, purty cool!

Does it cost more since Im getting bits and not atoms I can store and maybe resell someday? Well, given the future of comics made of atoms, probably not much, After you walk out the LCS door your 2.99 magically becomes worth about 5 cents... so either way, you end up paying 3 bucks just to read a story. (with the print comics you are also buying a lottery ticket that MIGHT get you your money back if it stays in 9.8 condition that is and gets red hot. good luck with the odds.)

Im still not back to buying or reading comics like I used to be, but I can see a clear advantage in the immediate gratification aspects of downloadable comics. Im sure nearly all of us will come to the same conclusion.

I love the physical comic, but for that instant gratification hit .. there's nothing quite like buying the first 21 issues of 'Kamandi' for 69p each and reading them on my iPad.

I love the physical comic, but for that instant gratification hit .. there's nothing quite like buying the first 21 issues of 'Kamandi' for 69p each and reading them on my iPad.

+1

Also one of perks of digital comics I like is if you don`t like the comic you just read you can delete it. :devil:

I prefer deleting the comics then trying to get a nickel a piece for them on EBay or the LCS.

;)

Im still not back to buying or reading comics like I used to be, but I can see a clear advantage in the immediate gratification aspects of downloadable comics. Im sure nearly all of us will come to the same conclusion.

I can understand the appeal of digital comics for some but it's not for me. Having something tangible that I can hold and call my own will always be more important to me than the gratification of an instant download.

I recently went digital with books and I love my nook. However...I have to respectfully disagree with the OP when it comes to comics.

Unlike ereaders the iPad screen is not as big as a regular comic book making the reading experience patently different.

Humans also have a need to collect things which can't be done digital,and there's something to be said for the historical value of the ads in comics which digital eliminates.

As for money considerations I'm of the camp that if money is your driving force you will be sadly disappointed in the end.

To quote Rupert Giles (BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER) on the superiority of books over computers:

"Smell is the most powerful trigger to the memory there is. A certain flower or a whiff of smoke can bring up experiences long forgotten. Books smell... musty and rich. The knowledge gained from a computer is... it has no texture, no context. It's there and then it's gone. If it's to last, then the getting of knowledge should be tangible. It should be, um... smelly."

I recently went digital with books and I love my nook. However...I have to respectfully disagree with the OP when it comes to comics.

Unlike ereaders the iPad screen is not as big as a regular comic book making the reading experience patently different.

Humans also have a need to collect things which can't be done digital,and there's something to be said for the historical value of the ads in comics which digital eliminates.

As for money considerations I'm of the camp that if money is your driving force you will be sadly disappointed in the end.

read them panel by panel. you double click on one, and then swipe to move to th next one. the publishers have written them to zoom in and out of each panel for reading simplicity.

purists can always zoom out and look at the entire page if they want, which as you say, reduces the size from the printed comics.

but, as I stated, if you are just reading the story? whats the dif?

One of the best things about digital comics is access to Golden Age material, like never before. :cloud9: I love "c2c" cover-to-cover scans with the inside covers, ads, everything.

Realistically, many encapsulated comics are shown, shared, offered and purchased via "digital" image.

Except for the cracking out, much of the acquisition experience is "digital" anyway. So, in a way, it's not that far removed to just go ahead and view all the pages digitally, enjoy the hell out of it. :D

I have not tried digital comics on an iPad yet, but I really don't like the format on my iPhone. Now, not to say that I don't support them - I do. I am behind it 100%. I'm behind anything 100% if it promotes the art, stories and appeal of comics to the masses - even if it's not for me.

But - not for me. I just got done reading AvsX 0 and there is nothing electronic that will ever replace my brain taking in Frank Cho's amazing work spanning across the two paper pages in front of me. I hope that in some way, shape or form - comics manage to survive in print form...

I don't know why people keep saying you need an iPad or an iPhone.

Read comics on your COMPUTER SCREEN. Read it on a 24" screen. A 28" screen. Even a 17" screen.

Turn a 24" screen 90 degrees to portrait mode and blow your mind.

Read comics on your COMPUTER SCREEN. Read it on a 24" screen. A 28" screen. Even a 17" screen.

Ugh. I sit at a computer at least 10 hours a day. That's not a selling point for me. However, you do bring a good point: a backlit piece of artwork blown up bigger than it's print counterpart would look pretty good.

(thumbs u

I would like to get a pad in the future when they're cheaper, and hopefully a 12" screen for comics and pdf magazines. Until then...

Comic_Reader.jpg

'Kamandi' on the iPad .. for portability and conveniance. My Omnibus stays at home, in the library.

DSCF0010-1.jpg

hm

Can the Kindle products do this?