• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Elektra: Assassin

10 posts in this topic

What are people's thoughts on this? I had a really nice #1 (from who knows when/where) that I was considering getting SS by Sink-ev-ich at Heroes this year, but I'd never read the whole story. I picked up the rest of the mini at the Charlotte ComiCon last weekend and finally finished it yesterday.

It was like Stray Toasters on crack... by the time I finished I mostly understood what had happened, but while I was reading it half the time I thought I knew what was going on and half the time I knew I was totally confused. The art was gorgeous and some of those covers (especially #4) are just outstanding, but the story was so... frustrating.

Even ignoring all the "Wind. Democrate. Liberal." blah blah stuff that Miller tossed in there. I liked the idea for the story a lot, but I wish it had been much less tripped out. Kind of doubt I'll be trying for the SS now as I'd just be selling it, and I'm not confident in 9.8 on the book.

Any remember this fondly or happened to have recently re-read it?

I loved this series. It's been a couple of years since I last read mine.

I'll admit that I didn't fully understand what was going on all the time but that didn't really detract from my enjoyment.

I was strongly tempted to get my #1 signed by Mr S in London, but opted for my NM18 instead (Otherwise I';d have ended up with yet another registry set I'd feel obliged to fill).

I've got to admit though, it's no-where near as good as the sheer awesomeness which is Elektra Lives Again :cloud9:

A brilliant read. It blew my tiny adolescent mind back when it came out and it still holds up. It also helped destroy my interest in mainstream super heroics, along with a few other key books and series at the time.

They were definitely reaching for a new mode of storytelling and it was just on the edge of being something amazing, but it was just too unfathomable to anyone but the creators. I mean, I got the plot, I got the effect, I just didn't get drawn in. It was all about the telling, rather than the story.

And the staples were rusty.

No. That's non sequitur. Never mind.

Covers were classic, art was nice but the story I had no idea what it was all about. Kept #1 for a sig, sold the rest.

yeah... that's pretty much me. Except I don't think I'm even going to go for the sig now. I tried to go back and re-read (skim) it, but I just really can't get into the story.

Cool to hear that some people actually enjoyed it tho. Seems like there are a good number of (very) positive articles/reviews out there. I just keep getting the feeling that I'm reading someone's deeps thoughts and interpretations on some ridiculously abstract piece of art that I know was done by a 2nd grader. You know... "I like it b/c I think I'm supposed to" kinds of things. To each their own. :)