• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Sunshine Club, maybe it's a sign

42 posts in this topic

I've been browsing some of the non comic related threads, some of the comic books ones...and some of the Me threads. Some of the threads where people have problems, too.

Then I saw it would have been Nik's birthday today.

I've been thinking of a way to use some of the Me threads to a good advantage,, kind of a lemons and lemonade thingy.

What if we were to start a sunshine club in Nik's memory (or the memory of more people) ..and start it off by asking for voluntary contributions for certain things.

Like Me threads...

Or from Probation people.

Maybe just regular people who want to contribute, or who want to give a little back after receiving contributions.

My thought was to have 3 people as the holder of the funds...and perhaps some kind of election for people who can suggest distribution of funds.

That's as far as I got...

Thoughts? Suggestions? Stones?

(Beatles;)

Discuss

If something could be worked out, I think it would be great to have some sort of reserve to help boardies in need. Typically, we throw together auctions on the fly or spotaneously have a fundraiser upon becoming aware of the problem.

We might just have better results to have scheduled charity events with the funds held by trustees of some sort. Kind of thing where it can be announced ahead of time and we get more eyes on the donations.

Any way I can be of assistance, I am more than happy to help (thumbs u

Absolutely love how this place looks out for our own and would love to see that continue to evolve to meet people's needs during times of crisis :foryou:

I think a problem might be as to who holds the funds. I know I don't want to do it myself and I think a group would be best (checks and balances). I would not mind record keeping or even sending thank you's to people donating. I know a few people I'd love to see running the program, but I don't know how overwhelmed they are with work..

Anyway, thanks, Heath :foryou:

Doesn't seem to be an overwhelming response to the idea just yet:) but maybe someone will chime in later.

I still have an account labelled For the CGC with a fair amount of available cash in it.

I should mention, I don't want to hold no funds. I would be willing to contribute though.

I think a problem might be as to who holds the funds. I know I don't want to do it myself and I think a group would be best (checks and balances). I would not mind record keeping or even sending thank you's to people donating. I know a few people I'd love to see running the program, but I don't know how overwhelmed they are with work..

Anyway, thanks, Heath :foryou:

Doesn't seem to be an overwhelming response to the idea just yet:) but maybe someone will chime in later.

Agree completely Sharon...maybe someone more versed in such things can contribute, but could some sort of trust be set up and require that checks/withdrawals be double signed by whatever trustees are established? Any lawyers looking in with advice to offer? :juggle:

Sha, it's a thought I had a few years ago, first when Nik passed and then after we had a few other fund raisers for other board members.

It seemed like a natural progression only I ditched the idea (or posting about it) simply because I thought it might be a bit too messy to organize but hey, if someone wants to run with the idea I'm all for it.

Sha, it's a thought I had a few years ago, first when Nik passed and then after we had a few other fund raisers for other board members.

It seemed like a natural progression only I ditched the idea (or posting about it) simply because I thought it might be a bit too messy to organize but hey, if someone wants to run with the idea I'm all for it.

OK, Roy...here is an example...so if you started an ephiny thread, could you see donating to a Sunshine club for the privilege ;)?

OK, Roy...here is an example...so if you started an ephiny thread, could you see donating to a Sunshine club for the privilege ;)?

Oh, I can donate but I can't donate my time if that is what you're asking. My time is just about maxed out right now between the kids and my job.

I always try to donate to a legitimate cause, though.

What's a me thread?

A thread that's really more personal than comic related...we have them occasionally;)

ALTHOUGH if we do this...I think I'd ask people who make wonderful discoveries, who are grateful for good fortune...to donate as well.

I'm just tossing around ideas. I think that there were a few people tossing around ideas after Nik passed...but I think about it every time there is a board tragedy.

One of the problems is, if you have a sunshine fund, we might actually wind up with less donations in time of need because people might figure it's covered.

I suppose a few quick thoughts come to mind...

a) how do you decide how much each person in need gets

b) if you were to keep a balance it would need to be public to donating members much like a trust fund would be to contributors

c) if you don't give equal amounts to people there is the possibility of some animosity (you know how these things go sometimes)

d) if we decide that equal amounts are not necessary, how do you a) decide how much each person in need gets

If they don't apply or not realistic, no probs. Just trying to open dialogue.

All good points, that's why I suggested a committee. You'd have to have an elected committee with the members of the steering committee deciding how much to give and who to give by vote.

There could also be a set schedule, with set amounts, but we'd still have the problem of possible fraud. It's not like an office where you know the people exist and have the problem.

Probably a lot of work...

And much visibility to any activity if you are going to build on-going trust with any contributors. So whoever volunteers, this must be something they are totally committed to as they will be potentially constantly questioned.

And much visibility to any activity if you are going to build on-going trust with any contributors. So whoever volunteers, this must be something they are totally committed to as they will be potentially constantly questioned.

There are always so many nice people in trouble here, I think if I had won the lottery, I would have set up a trust fund:) ...but I didn't;) (Win)

Another good point.Nick, the questioning. I know even with the fund raising that was done previously and we did have multiple people watching the money...there was a shill making accusations.

Past my bedtime...I'll let anyone else come up with ideas, but I think I'm out of them myself for now:)

Night!