• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Computer illiterate here with some questions

47 posts in this topic

Hi guys. I just bought a spiffy new really nice DELL computer. My old one was over five years old. I am far from being a computer pro and am clueless in many areas. Although I am quite good at scanning and uploading onto Ebay, I have never been able to figure out how to add a scan to a post on these boards. I am also clueless as to how to add an avatar. I've checked the FAQ section of the forum and I have seen talk of downloading certain software in order to do this.

If anyone could give me a simple 1,2,3 steps of what I need, and how to go about enabling myself (and my new computer) to do these things then that would be great. I also don't know how to scan my images into a file small enough to fit in this system. For some reason I think the scan files are being saved quite huge. Sorry to go OT here but I know there are quite a few computer savvy people out there. Posting on this thread may be better than a PM so that nobody doubles up on the information needed. Thanks------Clueless In Seattle confused-smiley-013.gif

At the top of the screen click "My Home".

Now click "Edit" to the right of where it says "Personal information, email, password, etc."

All your avitar info is there and you just upload it from your hard drive.

To post a scan, you can either have the board host it (which means that it has to be less than 150k), or you can host it yourself on an external Website.

Then in a post, all you do is use the Instant UBB Code to insert the image specifying the location of the image. Since this image is on your Website, its URL would then be something like http://www.yourwebsite.com/special/image.jpg

(When you insert the Image tag, it'll look like this when it's finished.)

[img= http://www.yourwebsite.com/special/image.jpg ]  

Hi guys. I just bought a spiffy new really nice DELL computer. My old one was over five years old. I am far from being a computer pro and am clueless in many areas. Although I am quite good at scanning and uploading onto Ebay, I have never been able to figure out how to add a scan to a post on these boards. I am also clueless as to how to add an avatar. I've checked the FAQ section of the forum and I have seen talk of downloading certain software in order to do this.

If anyone could give me a simple 1,2,3 steps of what I need, and how to go about enabling myself (and my new computer) to do these things then that would be great. I also don't know how to scan my images into a file small enough to fit in this system. For some reason I think the scan files are being saved quite huge. Sorry to go OT here but I know there are quite a few computer savvy people out there. Posting on this thread may be better than a PM so that nobody doubles up on the information needed. Thanks------Clueless In Seattle confused-smiley-013.gif

Not until you go read ten comic books and post book reports for each. sumo.gif

Hi guys. Can anyone tell me how to save a scan in a small enough file to add to a post? I keep trying everything and it won't work. I am saving them as a jpeg but I can't get the file small enough. Thanks

Hi guys. Can anyone tell me how to save a scan in a small enough file to add to a post? I keep trying everything and it won't work. I am saving them as a jpeg but I can't get the file small enough. Thanks

Go to villagephotos.com. You can upload a few images for free, and then copy/paste the URL to your posts. thumbsup2.gif

Morning Sid! You're up early, then again so am I! What software are you using for scanning/adjustments?

Ugh!

Well, I have a Visioneer scanner and I am using MGI photosuite III software. This sucks. I didn't even know that I had to use software. I tried to just take the scanned image and go straight with that to the post. Software? I am just finding out now that I even need to go beyond simply scanning. 893frustrated.gif

Go to villagephotos.com. You can upload a few images for free, and then copy/paste the URL to your posts. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks but could you explain how this works. How does copying a URL of something else help me put up my own scans? Really, my experience thus far is just: scan (no touch up just thescan alone) then to Ebay, then that's it. I know nothing about resizing, or saving to a smaller file or anything. Thanks-----Sid

Thanks but could you explain how this works. How does copying a URL of something else help me put up my own scans? Really, my experience thus far is just: scan (no touch up just thescan alone) then to Ebay, then that's it. I know nothing about resizing, or saving to a smaller file or anything. Thanks-----Sid

Once you upload the image to the image host(villagephotos), you can copy the URL(http) and paste it into your posts using the image function.

You can resize the image if you want to....but it's not necessary.

Once you upload the image to the image host(villagephotos), you can copy the URL(http) and paste it into your posts using the image function.

You can resize the image if you want to....but it's not necessary.

Thanks, I just registered but I still don't know where to go with this. I know I sound like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person but I was really never taught how to do this stuff. Even at villagephotos it does not tell me how to do this. Make one wrong move and I'm screwed, happens all the time with this stuff. Thanks. It's always the fist time. Once that I have it down I know it'll be a breeze.

I think that my main problem with all this is that my scans are being saved as too huge of a jpeg file. Too large to dowload on anything except for Ebay. And I can't figure out how to keep it as a jpeg and make it a smaller file. 893frustrated.gif

Dont feel all alone out there Bass.. if you get at your wits end..give me a call this weekend, perhaps I can help clear up a few of the mysteries... perhaps

Either way Good luck.

Z

Thanks for the help guys. After HOURS of struggling I finally got the Avatar down which is a photo of a very similar bass guitar to one of my own. Hey, if I wrote on the music boards I'd use a comic-related scan. Gotta swim against the tide ya' know. Now I'm gonna try to post an actual scan of a comic in a post. More 893frustrated.gif ahead. ----Sid

Hi guys, sorry to be bugging you all so much but I'm halfway there. I was able to attach my scan of a comic as an "attachment link" as you can see in my previous post, but how do I get it IN the actual post automatically?