• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What will our comics be worth when

48 posts in this topic

China has no reason to destroy the US dollar, since they hold so much of it. It doesn't make much sense to drive the guy you loan money to out of business.

That is true, we will destroy the dollar ourselves much to the chagrin of the Chinese.

I can see it now... hm We owe you 1 trillion dollars...OK...

Oh by the way we're sorry our currency is only worth half of that now, I guess you Chinese lose out because of our inflation and devaluation of the dollar since we keep printing more all the time... :eek:

Gunna open a can of godsmack on your asses, he will

Calm down cracker.

:whee:

:cloud9:

You have many titles but I like that one the best. :luhv:

Ridiculous thread.

Why don't you bring up the UK which went up 258.6% from 2008-2010? (RE: MAJOR FOREIGN HOLDERS OF TREASURY SECURITIES)

Or Japan which went up 39.4% during the same period to $877.4 billion?

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/data-chart-center/tic/Documents/mfh.txt

(China and Japan are not that much different in holdings actually.)

Probably still a decent amount the Chinese like western pop culture. I actually send quite a few eBay items to china or to holding companies here in the US that ship to them.

This is exactly the scenario for destroing of the US dollar. More dollars which come back to US from China = inflation, which follows to lower value of the US currency. Simple economic rule :sumo:

Every other monetary system will tank before the us dollar.

Why do you believe that?

Its plausible to think so, at least in the present circumstances. Even in the current US economic troubles, most of the anxiety in the markets is caused by uncertainties in Europe (Spain, Greece, Italy etc) and strangely enough now also in China.

China needs the US every bit as much, their interests are so heavily entangled in the US, and China needs that big US market too.

Why do you believe that?

Its plausible to think so, at least in the present circumstances. Even in the current US economic troubles, most of the anxiety in the markets is caused by uncertainties in Europe (Spain, Greece, Italy etc) and strangely enough now also in China.

China needs the US every bit as much, their interests are so heavily entangled in the US, and China needs that big US market too.

Every super power eventually declines after it's day in the sun.

This is not an anti anyone sentiment, it's a law of nature. What goes up must come down.

England, Austria-Germania, Constantinople, Greece/Macedonia (sorry, I know how much some of you guys hate that), Rome, Sumaria...how far back do you want to go?...society, government and monetary values all collapsed.

Most countries definitely need the US but they also recognize that many of their economic troubles started on Wall Street.

I believe it's possible that an economic shift is happening now (and I believe has been for some time now) where economies are trying to decouple from being too reliant on other countries for wealth.

It's a cyclical thing, I think, that happens much like it happens in high school with groups...you get a group or a gang that works, and then eventually there is some dissemination within the ranks, then they break up and go rogue and then a new group forms...etc, etc.

Countries like India and China and Russia do not have the global positioning right now to be independent of the US but they are full of hungry, hardworking and ambitious people and I believe that is how a nation becomes powerful. Not through amassing of wealth but through blood sweat and tears by the millions.

As a continent we did it 70 years ago between the great depression and WW 2. A lot has changed since then.

Why do you believe that?

Every super power eventually declines after it's day in the sun.

This is not an anti anyone sentiment, it's a law of nature. What goes up must come down.

England, Austria-Germania, Constantinople, Greece/Macedonia (sorry, I know how much some of you guys hate that), Rome, Sumaria...how far back do you want to go?...society, government and monetary values all collapsed.

Most countries definitely need the US but they also recognize that many of their economic troubles started on Wall Street.

I believe it's possible that an economic shift is happening now (and I believe has been for some time now) where economies are trying to decouple from being too reliant on other countries for wealth.

It's a cyclical thing, I think, that happens much like it happens in high school with groups...you get a group or a gang that works, and then eventually there is some dissemination within the ranks, then they break up and go rogue and then a new group forms...etc, etc.

Countries like India and China and Russia do not have the global positioning right now to be independent of the US but they are full of hungry, hardworking and ambitious people and I believe that is how a nation becomes powerful. Not through amassing of wealth but through blood sweat and tears by the millions.

As a continent we did it 70 years ago between the great depression and WW 2. A lot has changed since then.

I would agree that nothing lasts forever, and every nation will experience decline, and you are right that there has been a shift in economic power, the US no longer having as great an advantage over the rest of the world as it did in its heyday after WW2.

IMHO India, China and Russia, however, in order to really gain parity (let alone supremacy) will have to succeed also in developing as open and democratic societies to fully realize the potential of their peoples to innovate and produce and *lead* technologically. I suppose the prospects for each of these countries must be evaluated separately, but decline is relative, and there is no reason a US decline could not cause an even greater decline in these other emerging but fragile economies.

China's governemnt, truth be told, fears its own people more than anything in the world, and despite appearances of economic strength I think their civil society is weak, and they will not escape this weakness until there is real democratic reform. *Then* I could see a China competing equally with the US. 2c