• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 129 CGC 9.4 WP - $950 - no longer available - note: debris in case

90 posts in this topic

UPDATED Please note: there is debris inside the case. There appears to be two larvae shells inside the case, you can see one in the scan below the 'A' in Jackal - the other is in the lower left hand corner. These are outside the comic encapsulation chamber and in no way affecting the book itself. I have no idea how they even got in there. If you want to get them out, you will need to pay CGC for a reholder. This is a great price on a great book, even with paying CGC for a reholder. This is the equivalent of having a cracked or scratched case, it does not affect the book. Other than the debris inside the case, the case itself is in great shape.

Took down from ebay, want to avoid their fees so I'm putting a better deal up here. No probies or HOS. First :takeit: gets it. No time payments, just a straight purchase. Really need the cash (to fund other purchases of course), which is why I'm letting it go at such a great price - can't wait to get it reslabbed and sell it at a higher price (I've already made some purchases and need to "reimburse" myself).

Amazing Spider-Man 129 CGC 9.4 White Pages. $950 including shipping and insurance. US only, paypal only. Will be packed securely in a box. No returns on slabbed books. While I haven't posted much on these boards, I'm not new to collecting, almost 30 years under my belt and have 100% positive feedback on ebay over the past 15 years or so:

ebay profile

IMG_1103_1.jpg

No longer available. After closer examination of that "spec" under the 'A' - it appears to be a larvae shell to me, not part of the book. Looks like it is outside the plastic encapsulation, so not affecting the book. I just recently picked this book up and didn't notice it. I'm going to send back to CGC for a new slab.

How is this even possible? This thing is sealed up tightly, how could it even get in there?

No longer available. After closer examination of that "spec" under the 'A' - it appears to be a larvae shell to me, not part of the book. Looks like it is outside the plastic encapsulation, so not affecting the book. I just recently picked this book up and didn't notice it. I'm going to send back to CGC for a new slab.

How is this even possible? This thing is sealed up tightly, how could it even get in there?

Some other forumites have posted rare instances with the same situation. Not sure why it happens. But it is extremely rare.

Some other forumites have posted rare instances with the same situation. Not sure why it happens. But it is extremely rare.

Interesting, I've never seen this before - I just assumed it was a piece of the book until I took a really close look. I have confirmed it is definitely on the outside of the plastic (not affecting book) - I'm just pissed I have to pay for a new slab and shipping/insurance both ways.

Interesting, I've never seen this before - I just assumed it was a piece of the book until I took a really close look. I have confirmed it is definitely on the outside of the plastic (not affecting book) - I'm just pissed I have to pay for a new slab and shipping/insurance both ways.

Call CGC and they will work with you on this. Even if it was mistakenly done during encasement, they will cover the shipping back.

Trust me - they do care about how you view their product. :foryou:

Call CGC and they will work with you on this. Even if it was mistakenly done during encasement, they will cover the shipping back.

Trust me - they do care about how you view their product. :foryou:

No go, just talked to them. Said it's possible based on storage since only the four corners are sealed. At least they aren't eating away at the book itself.

Update: I'm really putting this thing under a microscope to make sure it is properly described - don't want any surprises for the buyer. There is the larvae shell under the 'A' and a second shell in the lower left hand corner (which doesn't show up on the scan). Not sure if it was originally one shell and it broke in two and is moving around in there or what. But I do see two larvae shells outside the book's encapsulation, but inside the case.

I've decided to put this book back up for sale, larvae shells and all. I have confirmed they are on the outside of the book and not affecting the book. Figured it would cost me about $50 to get a new holder from CGC, so I decided to reduce the price by $50. So now it's $1,000 including shipping and insurance (which is less than GPA) AND it has WHITE pages. Know going in though, there are two larvae shells in there. So if you want them out, you are going to have to send to CGC for a reholder.

So now we've got the Stan Lee "Cockroach" book and the "Larvae shell" Pedigree 129! :banana:lol

Seriously though, thats a NICE book and a NICE price! GLWTS (thumbs u

lol:)

Or maybe, it's part of the 'DENVER COLLECTION" ? ;)

GLWTS!

It's a nice book there. No one should be bothered by the debris in the case.

I have had two books that I discovered something between the inner well and the outer case. One was a keeper(ASM 136) and the debris looked like a tiny piece of candy, could have been a larvae shell etc. CGC didn't reholder that one for free, and I thought that they should have. The last one(ASM 33) had blemishes on the inside of the case which I had thought were smudges on the outside that I could buff out. I had sold the book so I had to send it to reholder for the buyer. The important thing is that the inner well is sealed, nothing should get into that. Regards,

Anyone interested in this great book? It's a great price, but please keep in mind if you want that debris out, you will need to send to CGC for a reholder. I've had some interest in the book via time payments. I would prefer not to go that route. Any takers?

The "larvae shell pedigree" is back up for sale on the boards. I'm having a hard time justifying ebay fees on this book, since it is already so heavily discounted. Great chance to pick up a great book at a great price. I sold a 9.2 on ebay a few weeks ago for $880 (with shipping) - so this one is only going for $70 more, can't beat that!

Are you sure you can't fish the larval debris out with a piece of paper? The holder should open enough to try at least.

I wish. I ran a test of some less valuable slabs (coming in from the side - a board member was kind enough to send me some instructions via a PM) and could get in there without breaking the seal. With this book, I am too worried about breaking the case, so while it may be possible, it won't be me that does it. The encapsulation appears to be stuck to the top of the case, so I can't get in there. If it was a less valuable book/slab I would be more aggressive with trying to get those casings out - but based on the book in hand, I just don't feel comfortable digging around in there. Thanks for the tip though.