• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 129 CGC 9.4 WP - $950 - no longer available - note: debris in case

90 posts in this topic

I can't believe nobody is buying this book. It's a big bronze key, it's well centred, it has white pages and it's priced cheap.

There is more to the market than GPA and that $900 might be real but it's not what I would consider fair market value for the book. I sold 2 9.2 copies for $800 and $825 in the last 4 weeks.

If someone wants a nice 9.4 copy for their collection this is the one.

Either that or i might just buy it and resell it for $1200 somewhere. :devil:

If I had to guess, I think that the word "larvae" freaks people out even if it is truly inconsequential.

Agreed...sorry, but that's why I haven't pulled the trigger.

I understand that, but I had a similar book last year to sell and had to go through the reholder deal. I've posted these pictures to help, I think this thread has been watered down enough that this can be helpful.

Notice in the first picture you can't see anything wrong. Then look at the neck of Peter in the lower picture.

I was going to reholder it anyway until I decided to upgrade, but for the buyer I sent it with about ten others to CGC. It took about a month total back then.

The debris in this book was unseen unless you really hunted for it in certain light. It was outside of the sealed inner well, so no harm was done.

asm136cgc94ow.jpg

asm136cgc94debrisincase.jpg

As long as there is no damage to the book, it will just get a reholder.

CGC will quality control the book by quickly eyeing it to make sure it looks like a 9.4 and reholder it. I personally wouldn't think twice about the debris. It's an $11 fix.

Edit. It's a free fix, you need to cover shipping though.

Just a stupid question because I am interested in the book. If you do a reholder, does CGC a) check to make sure the book isn't damaged in some way by the larvae (not sure how they could but just asking) and b) is it guarenteed to get a 9.4 White on a reholder. I have never done one and thus why I am asking.

Thanks

Reholder books are inspected for major defects which might suggest not being the labeled grade. If nothing looks odd, it passes to the final sealing process.

If interested, I suggest calling for grader's notes. If the listed defects do not suggest a possible lower grade than 9.4, you could relatively confidently believe that it will come back at the same grade. Regards,

Just a stupid question because I am interested in the book. If you do a reholder, does CGC a) check to make sure the book isn't damaged in some way by the larvae (not sure how they could but just asking) and b) is it guarenteed to get a 9.4 White on a reholder. I have never done one and thus why I am asking.

Thanks

The book is not guaranteed a 9.4 WP with a reholder, but that would be the norm. They do an inspection to make sure nothing looks out of the ordinary on the book grade - if not, should move on to get a new holder with the same grade. Say for example, a big heavy object fell on the case, cracked it - and it's clear there was some damage done to the book inside, they will regrade it.

I've never dealt with SS books before, but there are a couple different PMers that are interested in the book for SS. So they aren't concerned about the debris inside because they are going to crack it anyway. I am told CGC does regrade those books. So if it's being purchased for SS - then there is certainly a chance the book may not receive the same grade.

With just a straight reholder it should receive the same grade, but it's not guaranteed.

Update on where we are at: the good news: lots of offers, the bad news - none I can accept. The lowest I can go on this book is $950 including shipping - US only - paypal only - one payment only (as I need the cash to pay off some other books I've already purchased and "reimburse" myself). I really only sell books in order to buy more books.

Have had a number of offers that were close to those terms, but not quite there; either a little short on the dollar amount, want time payments, or shipping out of the US.

I am pretty new to these boards and absolutely love them. Really trying to build relationships here as I'm sure I will be hanging out more on more on these boards. Which is why I was hoping to close this deal here. Not a screaming deal, but a solid price on a HG key bronze book. I'll probably be moving it back to ebay later today (at a slightly higher price so I net $950 after fees) unless I can close the deal here before then.

I do really appreciate all the PMs, insights, discussions, and knowledge I have found on these boards. It's a great community and I'm proud to be a (small) part of it. Thank you.

I do really appreciate all the PMs, insights, discussions, and knowledge I have found on these boards. It's a great community and I'm proud to be a (small) part of it. Thank you.

(thumbs u Hope you stick around.

(thumbs u Hope you stick around.

Same here.

Quick question though....why the resistance to ship outside US? Is it a cost thing? Maybe int'l buyers could pick up the difference?

You're limiting your buyer pool big time.

Same here.

Quick question though....why the resistance to ship outside US? Is it a cost thing? Maybe int'l buyers could pick up the difference?

You're limiting your buyer pool big time.

I've had problems shipping outside the US in the past. Add to that I live next to a super busy PO and don't want to stand in line for 30 minutes, fill out customs forms, figure out insurance, duties (not real clear on this piece), etc. It's just too much of a hassle IMO. For domestic, I can weigh it at home, pay, print and pack from home, then just drop it off at the PO without standing in line whenever it's convenient for me. I do make rare exceptions and ship outside the US from time to time, I just REALLY don't prefer it.

For domestic, I can weigh it at home, pay, print and pack from home, then just drop it off at the PO without standing in line whenever it's convenient for me.

You can do the exact same thing with international shipments as long as they're going USPS priority or express.

For domestic, I can weigh it at home, pay, print and pack from home, then just drop it off at the PO without standing in line whenever it's convenient for me.

You can do the exact same thing with international shipments as long as they're going USPS priority or express.

Yes, except for insured items over a certain value. Most things are cheap enough to prepare yourself, but the high end items have to be paid for at the counter. You can do postage, but high value insurance so far can't be done online. I hate the customs forms, mainly because the USPS clerks don't know them well enough. They have to fight through the many screens to enter all of the information, and often they have trouble.

Global Priority I believe is the standard method to use for insured items where full tracking and true insurance is possible. It's just a little more expensive and takes longer to do the paperwork at the PO.

To the OP,

I was initially concerned about shipping international as well. However, when shipping something under 4 lbs, you can go first class registered. the costs will fall between $23 and $28 total. You can fill out the customs form online and print. The only thing is you'll have to stand in line and pay since first class isn't available online (yet).

I have great experience shipping international and will echo Jeff's comments that good customers are there. I've had several in Canada, one in the UK and even one in Austria. Its more expensive and the international boardies are aware of this and usually will pay the shipping difference.

See, this is why these boards are so great, a wealth of knowledge from people willing to share that information and help out. I'll admit, my lack of knowledge/experience in shipping international also plays a part in why I don't do it. For example, I didn't realize you could do some of it from home. When I asked different guys at the PO, they said you can't use the automated machine, you have to stand in line - so I figured that meant I couldn't do it at home either. But do the priority mail boxes even fit a well packed slab? I thought they were slightly smaller than the US boxes which barely fit a well packed slab. I like the convenience of using the priority mail boxes, they are just about the perfect size for slabs, it's so easy.

Yes, I realize this limits my audience - but truth is I don't sell a ton of books and most of the ones I do sell are cheaper books. Why would an international buyer want to pay $40 to have it sent priority mail? Doesn't make a lot of sense. I do occasionally have books for sale that range between $1k-$5k - but from what I'm reading here, it doesn't sound like that is a very easy process to ship with USPS either.

So long story short, I personally just prefer shipping US only. It's the laziness in me, I understand that limits my audience and potential price on books, but I'm okay with that.

Go online to USPS and order some free boxes. For Priority Mail, slabs, get both the #1092 and 1095 boxes. The 1092 fits just inside the 1095 box, thus double protection.

If you ever ship anything near $3500, or more, also get some Express boxes, the 1097 is like the 1092(smaller). The larger size that it fits into is #1093.

Most local USPS offices have stopped carrying those non flat rate boxes. Here I can only get flat rate boxes, because they want to force people to use the more expensive service(flat rate). I keep on hand three sizes for CGC slabs, the 1095, 1092, and 1093 boxes. The 1092 fits inside the other two with a little room to spare at each end.

Shipping in the US anything $3500 or more is cheaper by Express than Priority Mail. The insurance is much higher for Priority Mail, than for Express, and the limit is $5k. Regards,

...and I will do just about anything not to stand in line at our PO. I'm sure some POs are fine, but 95% of the time, ours is completely packed. Not sure if Brian (Lone Tree) is watching this thread or not, but if so, hopefully he would vouch for me as we use the same PO. I love just going in, dropping my packages in the box and leaving - and am disgusted when looking at how long the line is to get helped at the counter.

Go online to USPS and order some free boxes. For Priority Mail, slabs, get both the #1092 and 1095 boxes. The 1092 fits just inside the 1095 box, thus double protection.

If you ever ship anything near $3500, or more, also get some Express boxes, the 1097 is like the 1092(smaller). I forgot the bigger size which is equal to the 1095, but you can find it.

Shipping in the US anything $3500 or more is cheaper by Express than Priority Mail. The insurance is much higher for Priority Mail, than for Express, and the limit is $5k.

Yes, I do have cases of the 1092 and 1095s - just not sure about the size of the international priority boxes. I did think they were a bit smaller than the 1092s though?

The express boxes I have are 1093.