• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Non-paying Bidders on eBay

15 posts in this topic

I have been selling off and on via eBay for over 12 years and only had one or two non-paying bidders until I started selling comics recently and have had that many in two weeks.

Is this the norm when it comes to selling comic books on eBay? I wonder what the deal is.

There are times when I bid on something I realize I didn't need but I follow through any way and pay for my purchase. Unfortunately there are many out there who do not do this.

I have been selling off and on via eBay for over 12 years and only had one or two non-paying bidders until I started selling comics recently and have had that many in two weeks.

Is this the norm when it comes to selling comic books on eBay? I wonder what the deal is.

There are times when I bid on something I realize I didn't need but I follow through any way and pay for my purchase. Unfortunately there are many out there who do not do this.

Based on the multitude of threads we've had over the years, I would say that it is common and has actually gotten worse in the past few years.

I basically quit eBay a few years ago and haven't looked back. In the past few years, I've bid on two things. Once for someone here on an auction that wouldn't allow international bidders (didn't win) and once for myself (fairly recently I put a lowball bid on a book I wanted. Didn't win).

You need thick skin to sell stuff as people are rude, insulting, and ignorant. I have learned not to allow them to stress me out over different things. I want the money and thats my focus. I have found that 1 out of 300 buyers flat out need a bullet in the head

Non-paying bidders are just rampant. Unless I'm the unluckiest seller in the ebay universe.

I have had pretty good luck over the last 12 years...got burned once or twice with joy bidders who F-ed with tons of sellers, though this week I am awaiting payment on 3 lots .. $100 in total ... and I'm getting a bit antsy as I feel like the bidders may have bought and decided not to pay because they found it cheaper elsewhere later. I am politely following up with them. They don't look like chronic deadbeats based on their FB, so I'm hoping they decide to pay based on some sense of ethics or morality if I am pleasant in my e-mails..."I can't wait to ship these to you, but I need to get paid first... :-) "

I recently sold a large number of sports card singles on ebay and experienced a couple non paying bidders.

It's part of the cost of doing business on the bay and your going to run into them. Just file the non-paying report and relist.

Sadly it has become more rampant lately due to the lax policy ebay gives there buyers.

The three strikes rule is a myth, and buyers that buy enough can accumulate many more than three NPB strikes before anything happens.

Ebay also removed the ability for sellers to leave negative feedback no matter the situation which is absolutely ridiculous.

I think it's just the way eBay is becoming. I used to sell many years ago without a problem, now every sale is such a stressful ordeal. Will they pay? Will they neg me over something stupid? I've switched all my auctions to BIN so they can't complete a transaction without paying. I personally filter BIN's from my search when buying so I think I'm severely limiting my potential by doing this, but I'd rather sit on this stuff than deal with any more deadbeats.

I am currently dealing with a disgruntled buyer who wants not a refund but a partial refund because I told him the raw book I was selling was a 3.0 and he says it's a 2.5. Yes, this is a real story. I read through his feedback and some of the feedback he's left for others and he has a history of buying raw comics and demanding partial refunds. Clearly this is some kind of ploy to get the books he wants along with some of his money back. In these circumstances I would usually just either accept the return or offer a partial refund but this whole circumstance reeks of impropriety so I told him that my 3.0 grade was in line with OSPG guidelines and to demand money because he thinks it's a 2.5 is unreasonable.

I am currently dealing with a disgruntled buyer who wants not a refund but a partial refund because I told him the raw book I was selling was a 3.0 and he says it's a 2.5. Yes, this is a real story. I read through his feedback and some of the feedback he's left for others and he has a history of buying raw comics and demanding partial refunds. Clearly this is some kind of ploy to get the books he wants along with some of his money back. In these circumstances I would usually just either accept the return or offer a partial refund but this whole circumstance reeks of impropriety so I told him that my 3.0 grade was in line with OSPG guidelines and to demand money because he thinks it's a 2.5 is unreasonable.

You know what stops that? Do not give them the partial refund. Offer to take the entire item back and offer a FULL refund. I had some guy try that with a piece of glassware. They disagreed with the grade. I looked at the guys history and he too had a habit of doing this. I told him that I would not partially refund him for the piece but I would be happy to refund the entire cost of the item once they returned it to me.

He refused to return it and demanded a partial refund. He did not get his way and decided to bring it to a new level. eBay sided with me because I offered a full refund upon return of item, he left negative feedback somehow and eBay removed the negative feedback.

Sellers do have rights. It is just in how you make the case and how you conduct yourself.

The NPB that irritated me the most was one who used a BIN. They finally contacted me after a week and said they made a mistake and didn't want the book.

I was perfectly fine with that but if they made a mistake why wait a week to tell me? They could have just let me know and I could have re-listed, I'm not unreasonable.

FHS

I was just commenting to my wife yesterday that I've had a 100% success rate with comic buyers, usually paying within a few hours, but with MTG cards it's been hit-or-miss for the most part. Of course, with CGC-graded stuff only so far, I believe it takes a lot of the guesswork out of things and gives the buyers more confidence and takes away some of the buyer's remorse issues. I'm dreading the day I start listing raw books...

I actually find the Disney Collectors to be the most troublesome. For some reason they can get a little... "weird."

Example...

I received a Christmas Card from a buyer I had dealt with .. ONCE.

Sometimes they FB request me.

It gets a little weird at times.