• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Storage Wars (personal experiences)

32 posts in this topic

I was reading in the Edmonton news paper a few weeks ago that there was an older lady who attended a storage locker auction, put in a bid for a locker, won and found out it was full of hundreds of old comics.

Just wondering if anyone has every had any luck like this, or knows of anyone who has hit a jackpot with storage lockers ?

I couldn't do it. Comic books aside, such a big risk, never knowing what you are going to find.

I've got a "personel experience" for you.

I once "lost" about 15 long boxes of comics & rare 1st edition books, among other things, in a storage unit back in the late 1980's. It sucked. :P

I estimate the comics were worth around $50,000 at the time (1989 or so), and that's just the comics. Today the comics would be worth easily about 10x that amount.

Most of the better comics were nice runs of early Marvel SA (ASM, FF, TTA, TOS, JIM, AV, X-Men, DD), some nice SA DC, with a few GA books (about 100) thrown in there.

Also some esoteric items such as early Puck magazines, British comics, and the like.

It does happen, and worst of all I know who bought the storage unit, since I saw some of my comics for sale in their store, and a somewhat rare 78RPM record.

The employee who ran the storage unit (who could not tell me who purchased it, did tell me what they purchased them for) and did tell me it was two brothers (which narrowed it down to the ones that ran the comic store, which was only about 4 blocks away. :cry:

By the way, they purchased the whole storage unit for about $280.00. :tonofbricks:

A long time ago, I purchased a storage locker in Clearwater Florida for $97 I think if memory serves.

Anyway, it had been a long day and there were several bidders mostly male. they had all given up pretty much in disgust after a large unit full of huge crates labeled "Snap-On" and huge "Craftsmen" boxes sold for over $400 and turned out to be all EMPTY crates and boxes.

One older guy and a couple were left and myself. Then there was a unit with metal shelving units in front as you opened the door. I saw magazine boxes,comic boxes,and unopened boxes of sports cards. I won it for $97.

I got every single issue of Easy Rider,Full Throttle..from #1's. Hustler,Gallery,Cherry,and a host of mens magazines I sold the Hustler #1 on Ebay for like $400 I had two copies in the lot I sold the one still in it's plain brown wrap.

The comics were mostly moderns and bronze with a few silver nothing spectacular. A short box of old hippie comics..which I miss lol.

There were a lot of Sci Fi and Fantasy magazines. I mistakenly called in a dealer friend to help me out and he made out like a bandit he bought like 300 magazines from me for pennies on the dollar. I did save the Vampis and monster related stuff which I collected at the time.

Then the baseball,basketball,football and hockey cards went to a friend in PA he paid me $15 a box..

There were baseballs in glass domes. I got $200 each sight unseen from my friend in PAfor just the baseballs(which I found out later they were worth way more but at the time I needed the cash so I did just fine) There were gloves and signed bats and pictures of baseball players in albums. My friend in PA had a brother really into sports stuff he gave me like $700 in cash for all that mish mash of sports stuff.

But then here is where the story got..well good/bad..behind the metal shelving were metal storage lockers and racks of guns..and I mean loads of them. small metal cases (like the size of a ladies cosmetics travel case)that opened up with hooks for handguns. Big fitted cases with larger guns and rifles. Standing lockers with racks for hunting rifles and all sorts of firearms and loads and loads of ammo.

I was in my 20's and not gun savvy. I asked my friends and no one had an idea as to what I should do. My sports card friend said I needed to get rid of them because who knew where they were from or what not..

I had not met my husband..he hates this story..lol because I knew someone who had guns and I just gave them all away. I am sure that guy was chuckling all the way home at how I just gave him a mint worht of firearms The story kills my husband everytime..he is like "Thousands of dollars! They were worth a lot!" If only I had known. I was just worried they were stolen or used in a crime etc..

My husband will pull out his gun ID books and say "See look at how much that one was worth!"

too late ..spilled milk etc..

looking back I should have realized they were probably just someone's collection but oh well..

I made a mint on what I did sell anyway.

On the other side of the coin when I had to leave florida to get away from a bad scene. I could not possibly cart everything I owned to California. I went to Florida with my husband and grabbed family photos and whatnot from my storage. But the person who got my storage unit at auction (The owner of the storage was a friend and agreed to auction it for me to get rid of the stuff and it sold for $45) Got not only my furniture and several brand new still in the wrap appliances..but they got my doll houses... I used to make dolls and doll houses and there were 5 completed houses and 2 in progress plus a full victorian Christmas house display. The Christmas house cost me $230 in roofing tiles alone..I glued every tile on individually lol hours of work and thousands of dollars sad..but hopefully they enjoyed them..

I once "lost" about 15 long boxes of comics & rare 1st edition books, among other things, in a storage unit back in the late 1980's. It sucked. :P

I estimate the comics were worth around $50,000 at the time (1989 or so), and that's just the comics. Today the comics would be worth easily about 10x that amount.

Most of the better comics were nice runs of early Marvel SA (ASM, FF, TTA, TOS, JIM, AV, X-Men, DD), some nice SA DC, with a few GA books (about 100) thrown in there.

Also some esoteric items such as early Puck magazines, British comics, and the like.

It does happen, and worst of all I know who bought the storage unit, since I saw some of my comics for sale in their store, and a somewhat rare 78RPM record.

The employee who ran the storage unit (who could not tell me who purchased it, did tell me what they purchased them for) and did tell me it was two brothers (which narrowed it down to the ones that ran the comic store, which was only about 4 blocks away. :cry:

By the way, they purchased the whole storage unit for about $280.00. :tonofbricks:

See you are in Florida..hope I didn't buy your gun collection lol

There was a thread here a few weeks ago. Judging by the photos the books were modern overstock and mostly worthless. The media and public seem to think most comics are valuable, probably thanks to recent record setting auctions.

I am hating that..every thrift store in town here has worthless modern junk that looks like it has been trampled on by a class full of cheeto eating children ..and they want $3-5 each comic book..and if it has ANY age to it at all they want like $10..one store here has a Lassie comic that books out at like $20 in NM ans they have it marked at $150 because it is so old and rare..

all these auction shows,pawn shop shows,picker shows and news stories ..have everyone thinking that that Xforce #1,Brigade #1..or look it has a "genuine plastic gem on the cover book" that they have used as a prop to keep the microwave level for 8 yrs and is dirty nasty and yucko..is a priceless find..

I am sick of hearing about how that gatefold variant cover with a bullet hole or laser etched leather bound etc etc etc..is soooooooooooo rare..

they have it locked up in the family vault with that copy of the death of Superman to pay for their retirement..

plus in turn it makes all the newbs think EVERYTHING is uber valuable and drives up prices when I want to buy something at auction..

makes me wish I had something to auction lol

There was a thread here a few weeks ago. Judging by the photos the books were modern overstock and mostly worthless. The media and public seem to think most comics are valuable, probably thanks to recent record setting auctions.

I am hating that..every thrift store in town here has worthless modern junk that looks like it has been trampled on by a class full of cheeto eating children ..and they want $3-5 each comic book..and if it has ANY age to it at all they want like $10..one store here has a Lassie comic that books out at like $20 in NM ans they have it marked at $150 because it is so old and rare..

all these auction shows,pawn shop shows,picker shows and news stories ..have everyone thinking that that Xforce #1,Brigade #1..or look it has a "genuine plastic gem on the cover book" that they have used as a prop to keep the microwave level for 8 yrs and is dirty nasty and yucko..is a priceless find..

I am sick of hearing about how that gatefold variant cover with a bullet hole or laser etched leather bound etc etc etc..is soooooooooooo rare..

they have it locked up in the family vault with that copy of the death of Superman to pay for their retirement..

plus in turn it makes all the newbs think EVERYTHING is uber valuable and drives up prices when I want to buy something at auction..

makes me wish I had something to auction lol

i try to stick to the boards thanks to that

I routinely buy about ten to twelve storage units a year. I am quite good at it and go after mainly climate controlled units. What is it that you would like to know, directly? I would be more than happy to answer your questions.

I have always made money in the business, but I prefer flea markets and yard sales. That being said, I have found some cool items, but most of the time it is average items that you can sell for cash.

I do caution people from getting into the business, as there is a reason why I only buy about one unit a month. The average storage unit buyer ends up losing about $10,000 before making any money; if they make any at all. Since the television shows premiered; buyers and mainly 'newbies', are pushing the bid prices up past retail levels. I buy less and less units every year as a result.

Feel free to PM me for more information. I wrote several guides and articles on this subject as well.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

See you are in Florida..hope I didn't buy your gun collection lol

Ha, that unit wasn't mine. I was in Miami at the time.

Nice story, I'm glad you made out OK.

It's too bad about the gun collection though. :P

I have been to dozens of these sales held locally. You need to be able to identify what was possibly stored by the owner opposed to what was once the property of an evicted tennent. In MA it is law that a lanlord must flip the bill for 3 months for the moving and storage of an evicted tennent. Chance of the tennent abandoning anything of value in the vacated apartment is as rare if they even had anything of value to actually leave behind. Well when the auctioneer opens up the bin's door and you see a mattress and 15 trash bags stuffed with clothes and the unit sells for $350, your head will spin and you will go back to doing things that dont waste your time. Not me I go often and sure I have heard the wonderful stories, but the horror stories far outnumber the good. If you have a truck and a large facility to sort through it all, as well as a way to off the low end merchandise, plus an endless bankroll...Then go for it. You will eventually find something to talk about. The TV shows are all staged

I have been to dozens of these sales held locally. You need to be able to identify what was possibly stored by the owner opposed to what was once the property of an evicted tennent. In MA it is law that a lanlord must flip the bill for 3 months for the moving and storage of an evicted tennent. Chance of the tennent abandoning anything of value in the vacated apartment is as rare if they even had anything of value to actually leave behind. Well when the auctioneer opens up the bin's door and you see a mattress and 15 trash bags stuffed with clothes and the unit sells for $350, your head will spin and you will go back to doing things that dont waste your time. Not me I go often and sure I have heard the wonderful stories, but the horror stories far outnumber the good. If you have a truck and a large facility to sort through it all, as well as a way to off the low end merchandise, plus an endless bankroll...Then go for it. You will eventually find something to talk about. The TV shows are all staged

The shows are NOT staged, but they are heavily edited. You don't see the misses.

The shows are NOT staged, but they are heavily edited. You don't see the misses.

Well when Barry bids on a locker it's usually a miss :)

YUUUUUUUPPPPPPP!!!

^^

I manage a storage complex of 600 units. We hold auctions every month. I can't bid on them, but in 8 months I have worked there I not seen one I would.

Thats show has everyone thinking there going to stike gold. Units sell for 4-6 times what they did before the show I'm told. Had a 10x10 full of nothing but trash bags sell for $600 2 weeks ago. WTF? People have 1 month to get there stuff out, they always get the good stuff before we overlock it. The only way your going to get something good is if they die or get deported.

I've been to a couple myself as I think this would be a fun side hobby, but I only saw a couple good deals. One unit had an entire household full of furniture and appliances. It sold for $260 which was a good price for all that stuff, but unless you have a store and a truck to haul it, what's the point? The other huge unit I saw probably had $20-30K worth of construction tools and supplies that went for $175. You had to have the stuff out in 3 days and you would have needed a semi to get that much stuff out (and again some sort of way to sell it). There are good deals out there if you have a warehouse and huge truck, and I'm sure there are collectibles caches out there as well, but are so few and far between it isn't worth the time unless you really enjoy the chase (which I kind of do).

If you don't have the storage space elsewhere when you find a great deal on a giant unit packed with items, how about if you just RENT the storage unit the stuff is in and then take your time getting the stuff out. Storage units don't cost that much and if the insides are valuable I would think you could just rent the unit for a couple months while you sell off the insides.

In most states, before you rent a storage unit, the storage company owners have to inspect the unit to make sure it passes all the codes and regulations. So that means you'd have to empty the unit while they check it out (which isn't always easy) and profit margins are often soooo thin (maybe not on that one specific unit but overall) that even an extra 10-50-100 per month can be rough. And that's IF there's vacancies, often times there's waitlists at storage places now (due to the economy).

But I've gone on a few and seen that happen from time to time.

There is pretty much a circuit of same ole faces at these auctions I have come to recognize, but I have seen shills show up for particular auctions. It is so obvious and they are in with the auctioneer or the facility owner. They know what's in there already or at least they are told how high to bid. Also looking for fresh foot prints in the locker is another sign the place had been searched. I have also heard of lockers getting staged with old boxes, glimpses of what appears to possibly be something only to be a total k job. Sure everyone is an American picker these days (iPone in pocket) badazz ebayer. You still need to be ultra lucky to avoid all the scams. They don't tell you all about that on TV.... Yuuuup!