• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pgm AF 15

15 posts in this topic

Anyone have any idea what my AF 15 would grade at? I read it (couldn't wait to do that! Some nice other stories in there! Martians etc!) I liked it because it didnt have marvel chipping

Anyway, the staples were rusty and turned to dust and detached from the front cover but still attached on back. on the back the mark by the upper staple is rust from the staples

Goodnewsis I don't think it's trimmed at all, just miscut. The bottom of the page on the front goes lower to parallel the miswrap, same with the back, the page actually goes lower. Also, I was kind of skeptical someone would bother to trim a book like this is such condition anyway... its not likely to make the book look much better!

Also, I don't feel any colortouch or seeany obvious when held up to the light (I haven't blacklighted it though). So, thegoodnews is I don't think it's restored.

But I'd Imagine the book is only a 1.8 at best? Maybe it's a 1.0 fair? I'm not that good at grading fairs goods and poors!

23783.jpg

23783-1.jpg

yeah, I was kinda thinking that myself... 1.0 fair!

any thoughts on trimming? In hand, the bottom of the page extends down further than it looks in the scan and why would someone trim a 1.0. But the top is pretty low on the book, so I dont know

Hi Red Rocks,

This book was listed with "Moderate Amateur Restoration" by the seller.

It's possible they "mistook" something they saw as restoration, but that would be very unusual and probably unlikely.

The page is hanging more than likely because the staple isn't there to keep it in place. I would remove every bit of those rusted staples. They are of no significance and only stand to hurt the book. At this low grade, staple replacement is recommended IMO

The page is hanging more than likely because the staple isn't there to keep it in place. I would remove every bit of those rusted staples. They are of no significance and only stand to hurt the book. At this low grade, staple replacement is recommended IMO

thanks for the opinion!

If I have the staples replaced (I assume Matt Nelson should do it?) will that give the book a PLOD grade?

(That of course is assuming the book is not trimmed and color touched, I still have to get a black light to look for color touch, I cant see any with naked eye or feel anything on the page, also thinking why would someone color touch this book when its missing so much on the bottom? So I need to see the color touch with black light for myself)

It's a great restoration candidate.

really? awesome!

What makes you say that, I have no idea what to look for in restoration candidates.

If your going to get new staples put on,I would find out about getting the stains from the rusty staples cleaned and other problems with the cover.It looks like it has no Marvel chipping so that's a plus too. (shrug)

Restoration always sounds good until you add what you paid to the cost of restoring then figuring it's going to fetch half it's graded blue counterpart. I would send it to Matt and you guys should crunch the numbers and hear what Matt feels he could turn this book into, then Cgc has the final say. Hope it's not trimmed :wishluck: