• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
19 19

4,891 posts in this topic

As Far as FF1 goes, I got The one I posted, the three German ones, The La Prensa one set up on a deal, The Australian set up on a deal, the Greek FF1 I am geting sent to me in April.....then we'll go with other pritns from there..I am only sticking to foreign prints though
Cheapskate :baiting:

lol

Coming from Finland....another ASM 129 edition

Finland129.png

This one is quite interesting, I have seen those before but they are very rare, I believe they were some type of subscription gifts. There should be about five different, I think. Nice find!

Yes, but i only wanted the one with the ASM 129 cover... :grin: :grin: :grin:

Hello again:

The following is a partial listing of my work as a translator:

Translations by Gustavo Medina

(G. Medina or Medigtz credited in most of Novedades Marvel variants).

If anyone has any other issues in between those listed here, I´d appreciate it if you could tell me if my name appears in the credits.

This is only a partial list of what I have been able to find.

Novedades Editores:

FF

SPIDER-MAN

SPIDER-WOMAN

ESPECIAL HOMBRE-ARAÑA

NOVARO (DID NOT CREDIT THE TRANSLATORS)

ARCHI AVESTRUZ

UNKNOWN ISSUE FROM 1981 or 1982

(I DO NOT KNOW THE NUMBER BUT IF ANYONE HAS THESE ISSUES, IT WOULD BE EASY FOR ME TO IDENTIFY THE COVER AS THESE WERE PUBLISHED MONTHLY)

BATMAN SERIE AVESTRUZ 3-20

BATMAN SERIE AVESTRUZ 3-22

BATMAN

After more than four years of searching, I finally found the Comicorama issue I was looking for... #1016, published circa 1973.

002exf.jpg

Do you know the content of each comicorama is different from one to another? What # are bound in yours?

Yes it would be great to know..

PS is it true for the hardbound as well?

After more than four years of searching, I finally found the Comicorama issue I was looking for... #1016, published circa 1973.

002exf.jpg

Do you know the content of each comicorama is different from one to another? What # are bound in yours?

Hardbound..right?

@Barbarian: It says your Album is private. I want to check out those cool variants!!

That is my general album and it includes all photos including some private ones. You´ll have to click on the photos 1 at a time. All those books are from Ebal Editors. The Brazilian equivalent to La Prensa + Novaro in Mexico.

Ebal was not as not as thorough on the Marvel side of it, but sure on the level with DC Material (thumbs u

Is this the reason why many Novidades books are more expensive than the older La Prensa or Novaro? lol

I don’t understand how sometimes the 1980´s reprint is more valuable than the same book, printed in the 1960´s or 1970´s by La prensa or Novaro.

You have an explanation for this?

Hello again:

The following is a partial listing of my work as a translator:

If anyone has any other issues in between those listed here, I´d appreciate it if you could tell me if my name appears in the credits.

This is only a partial list of what I have been able to find.

Novedades Editores:

FF

SPIDER-MAN

SPIDER-WOMAN

ESPECIAL HOMBRE-ARAÑA

NOVARO (DID NOT CREDIT THE TRANSLATORS)

ARCHI AVESTRUZ

UNKNOWN ISSUE FROM 1981 or 1982

(I DO NOT KNOW THE NUMBER BUT IF ANYONE HAS THESE ISSUES, IT WOULD BE EASY FOR ME TO IDENTIFY THE COVER AS THESE WERE PUBLISHED MONTHLY)

BATMAN SERIE AVESTRUZ 3-20

BATMAN SERIE AVESTRUZ 3-22

BATMAN

I don't think I have a single book on this list. :ohnoez:

002exf.jpg

Hardbound..right?

All comicorama have soft cover

hombre-arana-especial-1_zpse187308a.jpg

Two Special Oversized editions of El Hombre Araña, reprinting X-men 1 and a couple of Spider-man annuals! Translations by yours truly! ´Nuff said!

Is this the reason why many Novidades books are more expensive than the older La Prensa or Novaro? lol

I don’t understand how sometimes the 1980´s reprint is more valuable than the same book, printed in the 1960´s or 1970´s by La prensa or Novaro.

I would love to think that the reason is the fact they like my work (God knows I loved working there and tried my very best to do a good job!), but the most likely explanation would be that the Latin American reader base for the 80´s variants was more of a fan based one and very few of them would have heard of La Prensa. I myself had seen some La Prensa comics lying around my Grandfather´s house, but was never really excited about them.

Novedades and Grupo Vid were around when buying and collecting comic Mexican variants became popular locally, as opposed to Novaro or La Prensa. Vid was the first Publishing company to organize comic book conventions in Mexico (Mecyf).

I think that would probably explain the difference,as there would be more people trying to complete their Novedades collections. Also, even though the translations by La Prensa were pretty good, Remy Bastién, my editor at Novedades, was a comic book fan and knew what hardcore fans wanted to read, as opposed to his counterparts at Novaro or La Prensa, who probably didn´t know much about comics. Remy, being a fan, realized it would be good to have translators that knew about comics, and that is probably why he hired me and J.G. Holguín, who had also, like myself, worked at Novaro. Bastién was the first to promote newsletters to establish contact with the fans and that also probably contributed to Novedades´ popularity.

002exf.jpg

Yes, I know, therefore I think it is pointless to hunt down more than one of each. I buy them only for the extra cover. The numbers bound in my copy are #19, 16, 20 and 21 (in that order). I also have Comicorama issues #1056 (with numbers 29, 30, 33 and 38) and #1110 (with numbers 65, 62, 67 and 66). Of the five different Comicoramas with Spidey covers that I know of, I am missing #1039 and #1083.

hombre-arana-especial-1_zpse187308a.jpg

Two Special Oversized editions of El Hombre Araña, reprinting X-men 1 and a couple of Spider-man annuals! Translations by yours truly! ´Nuff said!

I would love to think that the reason is the fact they like my work (God knows I loved working there and tried my very best to do a good job!), but the most likely explanation would be that the Latin American reader base for the 80´s variants was more of a fan based one and very few of them would have heard of La Prensa. I myself had seen some La Prensa comics lying around my Grandfather´s house, but was never really excited about them.

Novedades and Grupo Vid were around when buying and collecting comic Mexican variants became popular locally, as opposed to Novaro or La Prensa. Vid was the first Publishing company to organize comic book conventions in Mexico (Mecyf).

I think that would probably explain the difference,as there would be more people trying to complete their Novedades collections. Also, even though the translations by La Prensa were pretty good, Remy Bastién, my editor at Novedades, was a comic book fan and knew what hardcore fans wanted to read, as opposed to his counterparts at Novaro or La Prensa, who probably didn´t know much about comics. Remy, being a fan, realized it would be good to have translators that knew about comics, and that is probably why he hired me and J.G. Holguín, who had also, like myself, worked at Novaro. Bastién was the first to promote newsletters to establish contact with the fans and that also probably contributed to Novedades´ popularity.

hm Ahhh I see..... So what you are saying Gus, is there wasn’t a real back issue market for the early 60-70’s stuff? Interesting…… also explains why many of the early La Prensa and Novaro stuff is hard to find in better conditions. If there wasn’t love for these books from 80’s and newer Mexican collectors it makes sense that many of them were resigned to the dust bin of history and exist now in a very poor state! Without a real market for them it’s a wonder any of these early books survived in grades above fine……

Im telling ya, those early 60’s Mexican books are sooooo very difficult to find in decent conditions. Decent page quality is also something you very rarely see these book have….. I have 2 early 60’s Mexican Batmans that I picked up almost on page quality alone.

MexicanBats2frontweb.jpg

Mexican-Batsfrontweb.jpg

Mexican-Batsbackweb.jpg

Finding these books without completely tanned or brittle pages was a treat for me…… To think they survived without bags and boards for so long. One of the reasons for these books page quality was a interesting story…. And one of the reasons I collect comics is for these interesting stories. Apparently a antiques dealer from Canada visited Mexico while on vacation in the early 80’s and while there happened upon a comic book store. Out of pure curiosity he purchased a small collection of close to a hundred books I think. He brought them back to the frigid temps of Canada and put them in a box in his basement where they sat for another 30 years.

Well the seller had been picking the antiques dealers basement looking for items to buy when he came upon the box of old Mexican comics. He bought the collection from the old man and started selling them piecemeal on Ebay. There was a Frazetta golden age cover in that collection that I regret to this day not having the money for….. the page quality of these books was amazing and the story of how these 2 Batmans ended up in my hands is very rewarding to me….. I love this hobby, and the stories told within it make it so special….

Sorry for the rant….. :headbang:

Edited by Define999

002exf.jpg

Hardbound..right?

Yeah.. I have some that are thicker paper stock,and one or two that are thick cardboard almost a centimeter

With very good binding.will rassle up a pic

002exf.jpg

Yes, I know, therefore I think it is pointless to hunt down more than one of each. I buy them only for the extra cover. The numbers bound in my copy are #19, 16, 20 and 21 (in that order). I also have Comicorama issues #1056 (with numbers 29, 30, 33 and 38) and #1110 (with numbers 65, 62, 67 and 66). Of the five different Comicoramas with Spidey covers that I know of, I am missing #1039 and #1083.

The guide said that comicorama #1066 is also just Spider-Man inside but I dont know if the cover is spider-man. They are pretty hard to find. Most people back then (myself included) only bought them to extract the issue missing in our collection. The value of each one is determined by the issues inside.

002exf.jpg

The guide said that comicorama #1066 is also just Spider-Man inside but I dont know if the cover is spider-man. They are pretty hard to find. Most people back then (myself included) only bought them to extract the issue missing in our collection. The value of each one is determined by the issues inside.

sorry the hardcovers I meant were

2012JIMMERS359.jpg

002exf.jpg

sorry the hardcovers I meant were

2012JIMMERS359.jpg

Those are from France I think, not EH

my greetings to you Mister Gustavo Medina...it is an honor to have the oportunity to talk to you...hi from the beautiful Buenos Aires !!!! :applause:

Hello, Gonza_Araña! The honor is all mine and I think very fondly of Argentina since many of my Novaro variants have come to me via sellers in your beautiful country! :applause: :applause:

My very first Novaro variant came from The Land of the Pampas and the seller was incredibly nice and helpful!

Un abrazo!

00_zps531922c9.jpg