• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
19 19

4,886 posts in this topic

Yes the all important Iceland books..... :gossip: Did you know about these spidercrazy? hm We are trying to find a database of them to see how deep the books went? hm

Yes, I know about them, but haven't yet been able to get my hands on any copy, despite Iceland being a 'neighbour' nordic country. The population of Iceland is only about 320 000 people, therefore the print runs were very small, only about 500 copies of each issue. One peculiar (very rare) misprint in Sweden is a variant of Spindelmannen #7, 1986, which has a couple of the middle pages printed with icelandic text! I still wonder if Iceland has a similar variant with swedish text in the middle.

Damn! :o:o:o 500? :o Wow, could be the rarest copper age foreign Spideys in existence up there with the taglog ones.... hm

Some new information: The usual print run was about 1400 copies, but since the market is what it is on Iceland, they tried to lower the print run over time. Does this mean that there are a number of 'leftover' copies in NM condition stored somewhere? Usually such copies are sent away for destruction, but surely it couldn't be that difficult to find storage for a small amount of copies...

For anyone who missed this in the "This Week In Your Collection" thread over the weekend...

I had posted in a previous post in this thread about getting 7 issues of the Ediciones Vertice Dr. Extrano series, and was actively looking for the other 7 when I found an auction offering the entire run. Since these are very rare, I decided to go for it. So here's the whole series! (Each book was wrapped so nicely in plastic I decided not to remove it when I did the scans, so some books might show some glare.) Some of these books are in lower condition than the ones I had gotten previously, so if anyone is looking to buy my under copies, PM me!

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

D.jpg

Finally, also from Spain, another cover not published in America:

marvelmania3.jpg

posted in a previous post in this thread about getting 7 issues of the Ediciones Vertice Dr. Extrano series, and was actively looking for the other 7 when I found an auction offering the entire run. Since these are very rare, I decided to go for it. So here's the whole series! (Each book was wrapped so nicely in plastic I decided not to remove it when I did the scans, so some books might show some glare.) Some of these books are in lower condition than the ones I had gotten previously, so if anyone is looking to buy my under copies, PM me!

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

D.jpg

PURE...PURE... Win!!

For anyone who missed this in the "This Week In Your Collection" thread over the weekend...

I had posted in a previous post in this thread about getting 7 issues of the Ediciones Vertice Dr. Extrano series, and was actively looking for the other 7 when I found an auction offering the entire run. Since these are very rare, I decided to go for it. So here's the whole series! (Each book was wrapped so nicely in plastic I decided not to remove it when I did the scans, so some books might show some glare.) Some of these books are in lower condition than the ones I had gotten previously, so if anyone is looking to buy my under copies, PM me!

Dang, some of those are not so convincing, but some are awesome.

Especially the Living Tribunal one, the Umar one with the Dark Dimension monsters, and the one with those Dalì-esque forms (which original issue does it publish this one BTW?).

Is the gravestone one the edition of Doctor Strange #176?

This just came in today, it's a Goodwill Bookstore edition from the Philippines. If you're not familiar with them the Filipino books are usually found in no better than VG with not so great paper quality and rusty staples. This one's a beauty and I couldn't be happier with it. :whee:

Batman237Philippines_zpscbc8b61a.jpg

This just came in today, it's a Goodwill Bookstore edition from the Philippines. If you're not familiar with them the Filipino books are usually found in no better than VG with not so great paper quality and rusty staples. This one's a beauty and I couldn't be happier with it. :whee:

Well...that's incredibly awesome!

Early japanese edition, from march 1970:

001iuf.jpg

The title is 'Shonen Monthly Magazine', I don't know how many of them contained Spider-man stories. These are all made in Japan and completely different stories than the american ones, they are much darker and made for a more mature public. Thick as a phonebook and very seldom offered for sale on eBay. Now I have two!

001iuf.jpg

The title is 'Shonen Monthly Magazine', I don't know how many of them contained Spider-man stories. These are all made in Japan and completely different stories than the american ones, they are much darker and made for a more mature public. Thick as a phonebook and very seldom offered for sale on eBay. Now I have two!

Shonen is the very same title where, in 1951, Astro Boy debuted. There are many books with the word "Shonen" in title, as in Japanese it means "Boy", so it’s a commonly used word, but from what you say it should be a monhtly installment of the renowned magazine where Astro saw his birth.

And of course they are thick, they have always been big antologic books.

From what I recall the Japanese produced Spider-Man stories had not a long life, and I am not even sure they were meant as a part of Marvel continuity.

001iuf.jpg

Wow where did you find that?????????

Well...that's incredibly awesome!

Uh, yea! Incredibly awesome! The Filipino books are some of the rarest foreigns out there! Good grab Tim!!!! (worship)(worship):applause:

001iuf.jpg

Shonen is the very same title where, in 1951, Astro Boy debuted. There are many books with the word "Shonen" in title, as in Japanese it means "Boy", so it’s a commonly used word, but from what you say it should be a monhtly installment of the renowned magazine where Astro saw his birth.

And of course they are thick, they have always been big antologic books.

From what I recall the Japanese produced Spider-Man stories had not a long life, and I am not even sure they were meant as a part of Marvel continuity.

So very interesting...... Id love to see a translated set of panels..... hm Pretty damn neat! (thumbs u