• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
19 19

4,891 posts in this topic

My quarterly check in...

Any one have any leads on any Chinese Marvel or DC comics?

My quarterly check in...

I wish :( Why the interest in Chinese in particular? We have seen Japanese before.

1/5 of the world's population reads Chinese, its a huge untapped market. I'd love to get my hands on some comics (especially older if they exist) BEFORE it gets tapped.

Odds are there weren't that many (if any) printed, given the communism situation.

I have another, more personal reason for wanting a Chinese comic, but its well...personal.

This is one of the rarest italian edition Spideys. Issue 58 of the third Spider-Man series (the second being the pocket sized "Settimanale" of which Liam has the Black Cat issue). It came out in early 1984 and after that the publisher went bankrupt.

These issues, if in nice shape, can fetch $100-300 each. This copy is incomplete (centerfold missing and manufacturing defect for which some internal wraps have tears, although these do not affect the story).

ZpSMQW0h.jpg

My quarterly check in...

Chinese Batman. I showed this back in January.

Its the same guy who is asking $250 for a Japanese Superman 300 and it later popped up for $6...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHINESE-BATMAN-COMIC-RARE-SCARCE-/290902645373?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item43bb261a7d

My quarterly check in...

Its the same guy who is asking $250 for a Japanese Superman 300 and it later popped up for $6...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHINESE-BATMAN-COMIC-RARE-SCARCE-/290902645373?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item43bb261a7d

I've seen one of these (close up).

I think I'm looking for something made by Marvel or DC.

I admit that this one is rare, and that it might actually be the only Chinese comic (of any type/publisher) with Batman on it. I'm hoping for more things along the lines of the other reprints/variants we see in this thread.

On the other hand, with the whizzes in this thread, they probably would have found something by now if it existed. Unless they're hiding something...

My quarterly check in...

I admit that this one is rare, and that it might actually be the only Chinese comic (of any type/publisher) with Batman on it. I'm hoping for more things along the lines of the other reprints/variants we see in this thread.

On the other hand, with the whizzes in this thread, they probably would have found something by now if it existed. Unless they're hiding something...

In this case, I promise you, we're not lol

My quarterly check in...

nah... not hiding this stuff..... THere is stuff we keep close to the chest but I can tell you honestly there really isn't much that we have found.... there is a Hong Kong Spawn, but Chinese? I think its more likely to find Japanese, Korean and other pro-west democracies foreigns than Chinas. Do you speak Manderin? That would help...... Also, there is plenty of fan translation stuff..... but actually printed material has been elusive man.... (shrug)

Edited by Define999

My quarterly check in...

nah... not hiding this stuff..... THere is stuff we keep close to the chest but I can tell you honestly there really isn't much that we have found.... there is a Hong Kong Spawn, but Chinese? I think its more likely to find Japanese, Korean and other pro-west democracies foreigns than Chinas. Do you speak Manderin? That would help...... Also, there is plenty of fan translation stuff..... but actually printed material has been elusive man.... (shrug)

Yah, I don't think anyone is hiding anything. I've made an email inquiry into a lead I just came across, we'll see if anything pops up. I'll keep y'all posted.

Keep my Marvel key issue hunt in mind! :foryou: It would be super cool if we found something.

haha keys would be very optimistic, i'm looking for ANYTHING

Just in case anyone is intersted.... here is the inside of a Gigant #2 Swedish Swamp Thing I got for my buddy Tim.... Id never really checked out the insides of a Gigant before so I figured I would share the results. All black and White inside and pretty decent print quality and paper stock.... :gossip:

gigant.jpg

gigant7.jpg

gigant2.jpg

gigant6.jpg

gigant4.jpg

gigant3.jpg

gigant5.jpg

Just in case anyone is intersted.... here is the inside of a Gigant #2 Swedish Swamp Thing I got for my buddy Tim.... Id never really checked out the insides of a Gigant before so I figured I would share the results. All black and White inside and pretty decent print quality and paper stock.... :gossip:

gigant.jpg

gigant7.jpg

gigant2.jpg

gigant6.jpg

gigant4.jpg

gigant3.jpg

gigant5.jpg

There's just something about Wrightson's work in black & white that makes me all :cloud9::luhv: