• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
19 19

4,886 posts in this topic

P.S. Why CGC insists in writing "Marvel Comics", which is not clearly the publisher, in the foreign editions. It should have read "La Prensa, 9/62", with details in the label notes (i.e. "Mexican edition of Fantastic Four #1").

i argued this also!!!!

i emailed CGC several times with proof and links to their own Census ERRORS........

it is becasue La Prensa does not own the rights therefore MARVEL is the true publisher allowing them to print

Marvel is the licensor and La Prensa is the Licensee.....

but on the other hand i have seen other foreign books with their names as publisher as i beleive CGC has been inconsistent to the foreign processing

but on the other hand i have seen other foreign books with their names as publisher as i beleive CGC has been inconsistent to the foreign processing

That.

And the other explanation does not make sense: Corno was the publisher in Italy, La Prensa was the publisher in Germany, and so on.

These are oversized Canadian books, but I can't find them in GCD. Anyone know anything about them?

Scan-130624-0003_zps76dea075.jpg

Scan-130624-0002_zpsb3a68678.jpg

I think they are the english version publish by Heritage. The guide described them as rare and price them at 40$ in VF/NM [/quote

Really cool Stephane! :applause: I guess I didnt realize FH did stuff in English? hm

P.S. Why CGC insists in writing "Marvel Comics", which is not clearly the publisher, in the foreign editions. It should have read "La Prensa, 9/62", with details in the label notes (i.e. "Mexican edition of Fantastic Four #1").

I have been having the same problem with CGC for awhile.

Would you guys be interested in helping me compile a list for CGC to reference?

CGC's quality control im afraid when it comes to foreigns is cr_ap lately! :frustrated: Such an amazing book and all they had to do was look at the indicia and see La Prensa publishing? Also it doesn't say "Mexican edition"? :censored: WTF guys..... honestly if I was Hector I might consider this needing to be re-holdered? Highly important info is completely missing? Also this probably jacks up the census because I know I have seen a La Prensa FF1 properly identified. hm

GCG needs a foreign expert sooner rather than later..... this books handling is shameful. Liam, I like the idea of providing CGC with some lists or database info but there should be something in it for you son, dont do this for free!

And while we are at it, my italian #1 – I’m still undecided whether I should sell it… hm

I have the poster but not the original sticker which also came with it.

WElYPtqh.jpg

WOW what a beauty sir! :o(worship)(worship):cloud9:

BTW, sticker positioning should be like this (not my copy):

I6KV2ogh.jpg

One of my favorite factors in Italian books is the inclusion of stickers! So fun when you got em' :applause:

Actually Cluadio, im curious? hm What percentage of Italian books survived with posters and stickers still attached? In your opinion? hm

Edited by Define999

CGC's quality control im afraid when it comes to foreigns is cr_ap lately! :frustrated: Such an amazing book and all they had to do was look at the indicia and see La Prensa publishing? Also it doesn't say "Mexican edition"? :censored: WTF guys..... honestly if I was Hector I might consider this needing to be re-holdered? Highly important info is completely missing? Also this probably jacks up the census because I know I have seen a La Prensa FF1 properly identified. hm

GCG needs a foreign expert sooner rather than later..... this books handling is shameful. Liam, I like the idea of providing CGC with some lists or database info but there should be something in it for you son, dont do this for free!

I would definitely like to discuss something with them, but I certainly can't qualify myself as an expert in the field at this point. I think we could put together a small team that covers a wide variety of areas of foreign comics and see what we can provide them that would be easily accessible and understandable to their average grader. hm

Looking at the census there's no La Prensa or Trans World FF #1 listed so if there is another slabbed copy out there somewhere I don't know what it's listed under.

i already emailed them with links to their own mistakes...

they said the Head Grader said it is final

i already emailed them with links to their own mistakes...

they said the Head Grader said it is final

Man, that sucks. And I don't even collect CGC!

Looking at the census there's no La Prensa or Trans World FF #1 listed so if there is another slabbed copy out there somewhere I don't know what it's listed under.

There is at least one: a Blue Label, high grade LaPrensa FF#1, which sold for good money at either Comicconnect or Metropolis. I recall I saw the article (with picture) last year.

Actually Cluadio, im curious? hm What percentage of Italian books survived with posters and stickers still attached? In your opinion? hm

In some cases, a decent number of copies. In other cases (especially for certain issues, and also when there were both stickers & poster) they are very tough.

They usually go for no less than about 50 Euro (the cheapest).

Here’s an eBay listing for a FQ#1 with both stickers and posters. Book is worse than mine but has the stickers (or so it says):

http://www.ebay.it/itm/FANTASTICI-QUATTRO-1-CORNO-1971-con-gadget-POSTER-Manifesto-ADESIVI-/200931881395?pt=Fumetti_Occidentali&hash=item2ec87931b3

There is at least one: a Blue Label, high grade LaPrensa FF#1, which sold for good money at either Comicconnect or Metropolis. I recall I saw the article (with picture) last year.

I thought I saw one before too but searching through the census on CGC's site I couldn't find it. (shrug)

I thought I saw one before too but searching through the census on CGC's site I couldn't find it. (shrug)

That one was an 8.0, it was set for 12K for a long time, but then, I think it sold for a couple of thou...(don't quote me though), and the other 5.0 copy, I have never seen

I purchased this comic from Dave's Comics in Royal Oak, MI, circa 1985. I believe it must be Australian. It's undersized and very glossy. The interior is B&W, and the pages are very fresh - I'm guessing the paper is higher quality than that used for American Comics.

139191.jpg.383ba6a9072e95510b2e24fb51920c1a.jpg

139192.jpg.844e7afe374fc59b8a3f8603cd27be13.jpg