• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
19 19

4,891 posts in this topic

Gustavo, what do you mean by "retraced"?

Comics at that time were 17 or 18 pages and Vid wanted to fill the 32 page quota that Novaro used to offer. They did not want to include an extra filler story, so they would take a single panel of any given page and then blow it up to fill an entire page. This was initially done by photographic means and the end result was disastrous as the quality of the line would look terrible.

I told the editor that I could trace (or retrace) the drawing in pencil and then ink it to give it a better line quality. And, Lo and behold! He agreed!

Awesome, I especially like your personal touch by adding your initials.... What a way to leave your mark! :applause:

I posted this way back in this thread, but with the 1:200 Ditko, ASM 700 variant hitting the US stands last month, I thought this would be a good time to post it again

As far as I know, up until last month I was able to say that I owned the only comic in the world that had the rejected Ditko cover for AF 15 as a cover.

I really liked the sound of that :(

Printed in 1983, it was the first spider-man issue from Distri Editors, from a very small run of 10 issues.

It prints AF 15+ a Bonus Story of Strange tales 115

Distri1-aranhaphotobucket.jpg

IMO a much better investment than the ASM #700 variant.

I would have to agree..... hm

I got a few goodies in today.

th_BatLash6Mexico_zpse0ef5a82.jpgth_StrangeAdventures209Mexico_zpsc1c2650d.jpgth_StrangeAdventures212Mexico_zpsbaafaa04.jpgth_Unexpected121Mexico_zps7fb524da.jpg

Then there's this one, a beautiful copy I have to say. Looks almost good enough to have come off the spinner rack just yesterday. The reasons I like it so much:

1) 3rd appearance of Jonah Hex

2) It has Neal Adams pencils with Bernie Wrightson inks

3) Great Joe Kubert cover

WeirdWesternTales12Mexico_zps184b1241.jpg

th_BatLash6Mexico_zpse0ef5a82.jpgth_StrangeAdventures209Mexico_zpsc1c2650d.jpgth_StrangeAdventures212Mexico_zpsbaafaa04.jpgth_Unexpected121Mexico_zps7fb524da.jpg

Then there's this one, a beautiful copy I have to say. Looks almost good enough to have come off the spinner rack just yesterday. The reasons I like it so much:

Another day and another round of beautiful Mexican Novaro's added to your collection Tim! :applause: I love that cover of Weird Western Tales man.... :cloud9: and on a doubley rare novaro its even more :cloud9::cloud9:

Edited by Define999

Another day and another round of beautiful Mexican Novaro's added to your collection Tim! :applause: I love that cover of Weird Western Tales man.... :cloud9: and on a doubley rare novaro its even more :cloud9::cloud9:

I was just looking in the right place at the right time. You know how my luck runs. lol

was just looking in the right place at the right time. You know how my luck runs. lol

Im starting to think your "luck" is actually a inability to sleep! lol Your eyes on target far outweigh the time that a normal human who needs sleep and rest can produce.....

Well maybe that dedication coupled with a little luck sure can explain alot! (thumbs u

was just looking in the right place at the right time. You know how my luck runs. lol

Im starting to think your "luck" is actually a inability to sleep! lol Your eyes on target far outweigh the time that a normal human who needs sleep and rest can produce.....

Well maybe that dedication coupled with a little luck sure can explain alot! (thumbs u

:grin:

Finally managed to catalogue this Ebal. Batman 1st Series - 1959

Even though they used the original art in the interior, the cover was made by a local artist so you get a cover that has no US counterpart, no story credits and the titles of the stories are in a different language, so it’s a hard task just getting 1 book catalogued.

This one has 4 stories from 3 diff US DC titles.

Story 1 - Batman 112 - 1957

"The Signalman of Crime". -script by Bill Finger, pencils by Sheldon Moldoff.

Story 2 - Adventure comics 230 - 1956

"The Tom Thumb Aquaman", art by Ramona Fradon.

Story 3 –Adventure Comics 230 – 1956

“ The Outlaw Archers” starring Green Arrow, art by George Papp

Story 4 - Superman 115 - 1957

"Jimmy Olsen's Lost Pal" - -script by Otto Binder, art by Al Plastino

ebal77batman001.jpg

batmanebal77-2.jpg

Hi fellow foreign variant collectors, I need a little help.

A friend of mine is going to Russia for work, and I'll ask him to pick up some nice comics.

Anybody has pics of notorious issues in Russia? Stuff like ASM 300, Bat 227 (yeah, I wish) and stuff like that.

Post them here or send me a PM if you have them

Edited by marmat

Hi fellow foreign variant collectors, I need a little help.

A friend of mine is going to Russia for work, and I'll ask him to pick up some nice comics.

Anybody has pics of notorious issues in Russia? Stuff like ASM 300, Bat 227 (yeah, I wish) and stuff like that.

Post them here or send me a PM if you have them

Those were never printed in Russia.... :(