• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SS on high grade keys?

206 posts in this topic

Wow! :(

It's exactly that attitude that makes a lot of people hate SS people. Sorry but everything you just said there is pretty much the definition of selfish in my book. Sad :sorry:

I don't understand. Are you saying that if you have SS books you are "ss people" and if you don't you are "anti ss people".

That seems a little extreme, doesn't it?

That's kind of a wild assumption, that if someone collects SS books that they ONLY collect SS books, or that they will SS anything, or that they don't collect regular old books, isn't it?

SS is in it's relative infancy, and those that collect those books are ALL comic fans. So these imaginary dividing lines might make for an easy pick-a-side battle, but it's not really accurate.

There are guys like me that have collected, bought, sold and traded comics for over 25 years, collected Original Art for over 20 years, and can appreciate the beauty of taking an otherwise unappreciated book and turning it into something I cherish by combining meeting a creator, or celebrity, tied to that book and making a permanent memento of that experience.

Pigeonholing collectors into convenient boxes and then professing to speak for one, or more of those, groups may be comforting to the speaker but it is also highly dubious how on point those classifications are in the first place.

It's exactly that attitude that makes a lot of people hate SS people. Sorry but everything you just said there is pretty much the definition of selfish in my book. Sad :sorry:

You should look up the definition of selfish when you get time. Your view on this topic is every bit as selfish.

Wow! Your reading comprehension is poor :sorry:

I've said a bunch of times, if they are books your planning on keeping, do whatever the hell you want with them to make you happy.

If you are planning to just flip it, please don't destroy something fairly unique to make a few quick bucks. It may not matter to you but THAT is the definition of selfish which you clearly don't understand because you've apparently been so butthurt by the horrible anti-SS sentiment you've had to endure :preach:

You should look up the definition of selfish when you get time. Your view on this topic is every bit as selfish.

I've said a bunch of times, if they are books your planning on keeping, do whatever the hell you want with them to make you happy.

If you are planning to just flip it, please don't destroy something fairly unique to make a few quick bucks. It may not matter to you but THAT is the definition of selfish which you clearly don't understand because you've apparently been so butthurt by the horrible anti-SS sentiment you've had to endure :preach:

Is there some kind of rally I can attend? Perhaps there is a newsletter, armband or decoder ring that comes with the anti-ss membership kit?

I've never heard of "anti-ss" sentiment, much less endured any of it, until I stumbled into this thread.

Perhaps there's a reality show on Discovery, or the History Channel, that can get me up to speed on this growing movement. (shrug)

I do find it funny that one sect of comic collecting would think they are more "socially acceptable/normal" than any other. At the end of the day, we are all getting stuffed in to the locker with our underwear over our head, so might want to pump the brakes a bit. lol

What you consider marring a book is of no consequence to me. As far as your precious pedigrees go... I don't give a rats behind about those. I think it's crazy to pay the premiums they sell for just to be able to say "This is the Mile High copy". If you're so concerned about preserving pedigrees from being subbed for SS maybe all the pedigree flippers should stop putting them on the market every six months that way you don't have to worry about the SS community getting a hold of them.

Spoken like man who has thumbed through a stack of Church books and has a grasp of comic book history :insane::insane:

I don't understand. Are you saying that if you have SS books you are "ss people" and if you don't you are "anti ss people".

That's kind of a wild assumption, that if someone collects SS books that they ONLY collect SS books, or that they will SS anything, or that they don't collect regular old books, isn't it?

SS is in it's relative infancy, and those that collect those books are ALL comic fans. So these imaginary dividing lines might make for an easy pick-a-side battle, but it's not really accurate.

There are guys like me that have collected, bought, sold and traded comics for over 25 years, collected Original Art for over 20 years, and can appreciate the beauty of taking an otherwise unappreciated book and turning it into something I cherish by combining meeting a creator, or celebrity, tied to that book and making a permanent memento of that experience.

Pigeonholing collectors into convenient boxes and then professing to speak for one, or more of those, groups may be comforting to the speaker but it is also highly dubious how on point those classifications are in the first place.

When have I even remotely implied much less said that people ONLY collect SS? I doubt there's anyone with more than 50 slabs that has ONLY SS slabs. Of course I don't think nor did I ever say that.

There's pretty clearly people that like SSing books, SS people. And, there's people that are totally against it, non SS people. Even some of us have SS books. Like I said, I have one because it was a book I wanted and gpa for a regular copy was like $250 and this one went for like $150 for some reason so I couldn't pass up that good a deal. Theres also plenty of people that dont care one way or the other. I'm not pigeonholing people. I'm just simplifying it for the sake of conversation.

Like I've said a BUNCH of times, if they are books you're planning on keeping, do whatever you want. I could care less. If its a book you just want to flip though and it's fairly unique, it certainly bothers me to not care at all about that book to make a few extra dollars.

I don't think one side is more acceptable or normal whatsoever. If you like SS, great! It's just not my thing. Like I said in my 1st few posts, to me most sig placements look bad and take away from the cover so I dont like them or the book anymore. Just my preference. If you like it better, that's fine by me.

Unique books deserve special treatment in my mind though (shrug)

What you consider marring a book is of no consequence to me. As far as your precious pedigrees go... I don't give a rats behind about those. I think it's crazy to pay the premiums they sell for just to be able to say "This is the Mile High copy". If you're so concerned about preserving pedigrees from being subbed for SS maybe all the pedigree flippers should stop putting them on the market every six months that way you don't have to worry about the SS community getting a hold of them.

Spoken like man who has thumbed through a stack of Church books and has a grasp of comic book history :insane::insane:

(worship)

Guest Grails
At the end of the day, we are all getting stuffed in to the locker with our underwear over our head, so might want to pump the brakes a bit. lol

I have never laughed from reading a post on these boards. I came close though after this.

Honestly, the people on the SS side are using very selective data. I just did a quick 5 minute check myself...This is FF #5

( 9.0 )    (2) $16,661    -    -    -   $15,822  Dec-2010

( 9.0 )  Sgnt series/Signed by Stan Lee  -    (1) $14,340    -    -   $14,340  Feb-2011

This is FF #1

( 7.0 )    (1) $21,000    (1) $17,500    (1) $17,500    -   $17,500  May-2011

( 7.0 )  Sgnt series/Signed by Stan Lee  -    (1) $15,535    -    -   $15,535  Feb-2011

ASM #1

( 6.0 )    (7) $5,465    -    (1) $10,158    (1) $10,158   $10,158  Mar-2012

( 6.0 )  Sgnt series/Signed by Stan Lee  -    -    -    -   $8,000  Oct-2009

Lastly I'm looking at GPA and no one is getting 9.0's and above of the super keys done like FF#1, AF #15, etc etc. or any other 100k book.

Not taking a side in the argument just showing other numbers.

Jim

Stan Lee's sig can be found on, what, 10,000 comics or more by now? It's as common as high grade Dazzler #1s.

When it comes to a high grade SA key, the scarcity is in the comic and not Stan's signature. This is why adding Stan's sig doesn't add value to these particular books. Indeed, there is a significant segment of the high grade collecting community that finds creator signatures detract from the eye appeal of scarce high grade keys, and so would pay more for an unblemished copy than a SS one.

You're the one who started telling people what they should or shouldn't do with their books so deal with it.

For the record, I don't use GPA either so above or below it doesn't matter to me.

I didn't tell anybody what to do other than say please don't SS Pedigrees. You may not I've a rats about them but a lot of people do. It wouldn't bother you if one of "us" bought the only 9.8 SS copy of some grail of yours that you dreamed of owning and cracks it out to read knocking it down to a 9.4 and selling it a few months later?

Justify it however you want. It's pretty clear your whole "I don't give a rats what anyone thinks" attitude is just a cute little defense mechanism for all the non SS love you've had to endure.

Group hug for you buddy :acclaim:

The way you presented your side made it sound like there is/are one or more people out there specifically buying up pedigree books and subbing them for SS and maybe there is, I don't know. If they are then there's not much that can be done about it but your presentation came across as if every SS collector is doing this. Maybe you should start another thread about how no one should be cracking and pressing pedigrees.

I know plenty about pedigrees and comic book history. I've seen and closely examined books from quite a few of them. I maintain my stance that a pedigree copy of any given book is, as far as content goes, the same as every other copy of said book. I have also seen copies of many books that aren't pedigrees that are far nicer examples in regards to gloss, page quality etc. What I think is ludicrous is the fact that someone will pay 2-3-4 x + more for a copy of a book in 9.8 just because of a note on the label.

When have I even remotely implied much less said that people ONLY collect SS? I doubt there's anyone with more than 50 slabs that has ONLY SS slabs. Of course I don't think nor did I ever say that.

There's pretty clearly people that like SSing books, SS people. And, there's people that are totally against it, non SS people. Even some of us have SS books. Like I said, I have one because it was a book I wanted and gpa for a regular copy was like $250 and this one went for like $150 for some reason so I couldn't pass up that good a deal. Theres also plenty of people that dont care one way or the other. I'm not pigeonholing people. I'm just simplifying it for the sake of conversation.

Like I've said a BUNCH of times, if they are books you're planning on keeping, do whatever you want. I could care less. If its a book you just want to flip though and it's fairly unique, it certainly bothers me to not care at all about that book to make a few extra dollars.

I only collect SS books, have over 50 slabs and only have one non-SS slab and that one is a PLOD. lol

At the end of the day, we are all getting stuffed in to the locker with our underwear over our head, so might want to pump the brakes a bit. lol

I have never laughed from reading a post on these boards. I came close though after reading this.

Truly? Never??? How is that even possible? :o

You've certainly come back guns blazing. You straight up call someone selfish and wonder why they get defensive? lol

While I would never get, say a Church book signed myself, I wonder why some of us place this almost deific quality to pedigree books? It's as if they should all be enshrined in some hall of greatness and never again touched. I've seen some Crippen and River City books that were nowhere near HG. Should those never be signed? Would I get an Oakland or Mass copy signed? Most likely not, but never say never.

Is there some kind of rally I can attend? Perhaps there is a newsletter, armband or decoder ring that comes with the anti-ss membership kit?

I've never heard of "anti-ss" sentiment, much less endured any of it, until I stumbled into this thread.

Perhaps there's a reality show on Discovery, or the History Channel, that can get me up to speed on this growing movement. (shrug)

I do find it funny that one sect of comic collecting would think they are more "socially acceptable/normal" than any other. At the end of the day, we are all getting stuffed in to the locker with our underwear over our head, so might want to pump the brakes a bit. lol

I'm anti-SS. Damn Nazi stormtroopers. :mad:

I only collect SS books, have over 50 slabs and only have one non-SS slab and that one is a PLOD. lol

I would like to add that I only collect SS books. I have a collection with about 300 keepers right now. I enjoy buying 9.0 + ASMS and getting them signed. The blue label books I own are the ones I plan to crack to get signed by Romita and Stan in June at MASTERS 5! ;)

I would like to add that I only collect SS books. I have a collection with about 300 keepers right now. I enjoy buying 9.0 + ASMS and getting them signed. The blue label books I own are the ones I plan to crack to get signed by Romita and Stan in June at MASTERS 5! ;)

Are any of those Curators or PCs or Suschas? Get them signed so I can watch sufunk's head explode.

You've certainly come back guns blazing. You straight up call someone selfish and wonder why they get defensive? lol

While I would never get, say a Church book signed myself, I wonder why some of us place this almost deific quality to pedigree books? It's as if they should all be enshrined in some hall of greatness and never again touched. I've seen some Crippen and River City books that were nowhere near HG. Should those never be signed? Would I get an Oakland or Mass copy signed? Most likely not, but never say never.

If you are getting a Pedigree book you plan to flip SS'd because you dont "give a rats " about them just to make dat paper KNOWING you are destroying the book for a lot people, sorry but THAT IS SELFISH AS HELL. Thats all i said (thumbs u

Take that Suscha Avengers 1 for instance. I LOVED that book and wanted it BAD! I know some will say "then you should have bought it!" and yes thats true. I thought i could get better than his ridiculous BIN price later and at worse, someone else buys it and i have to wait til god knows when to get it. It didnt occur to me that the owner would DESTROY it to make a few more $$$! That book is completely ruined now! He doesnt care about that book at all or what the Pedigree means to people, all he cares about is squeezing a few more bucks out of the sale. Anyone doing that is selfish as hell, sorry! rantrant