• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eastern Color Proof/File Copies?

105 posts in this topic

May, 1991 CBG alleged "file copy" ad by Fantazia, the OP may be referring to:

fantazia2.jpg

Yep. Not a great deal of change in his blurb...

Reads like an old Comic K*ys eBay listing.

Anybody have the link to the CBG/CGC Comic Keys exposed thread for the newbs?

Interestingly enough, it also reads exactly like another seller's listings that is *still* selling on eBay.

What exactly was he selling? Were these actual covers that were unused that got stapled to the inside contents of the correct issue from a lower grade copy?

Yes, thats what was done.

Hundreds, if not thousands of these unused covers came to light in the mid-1980s. Many dealers were replacing the worn covers of their books with these new covers. Its hard to believe now, but restoration and marrying covers was not looked upon with a negative eye back then, although some cases were ludicious.

I recall seeing a perfectly white VF++++ Fantastic Four cover on a book with cream pages.

Danny went the extra mile, buying a stamp and inventing the Eastern Color File Copy myth. He also generally used higher grade interiors.

May, 1991 CBG alleged "file copy" ad by Fantazia, the OP may be referring to:

fantazia2.jpg

Yep. Not a great deal of change in his blurb...

Reads like an old Comic K*ys eBay listing.

Anybody have the link to the CBG/CGC Comic Keys exposed thread for the newbs?

This could work.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=316256#Post316256

danny boy is a megalomaniac. he likes to stay in the spotlight. prolly getting wood while reading this thread.

he no longer tries to deny that he is daniel dupcak. as much as he trims and CT books, he will point out others that are doing it too.

fantazia1.jpg

danny boy is a megalomaniac. he likes to stay in the spotlight. prolly getting wood while reading this thread.

he no longer tries to deny that he is daniel dupcak. as much as he trims and CT books, he will point out others that are doing it too.

fantazia1.jpg

.....the ironic thing about this is that most of those books would probably be good buys at those prices today....even restored. I miss those days when 500 bucks would get you almost anything you could want. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

20 years ago when I was last collecting comics hardcore, there was a company called Fantazia (based in NY, I think) that offered up quite a few proof/file copies of 60's Marvel books from a company called Eastern Color, which apparently did some printing for Marvel. I remember the price list (that I still have somewhere in storage but haven't found it yet) had runs of Avengers, FF, X-men, Spidey, etc from #1 on up.

I used to own I believe 4 or 5 of those books and would love to track at least a couple down again. Does anyone have any of these in their collection? Were they eventually "named" as a pedigree or was that too early in the "naming game" to have the entire collection designated?

I believe the ones I had were FF #22 (and one or two other FFs that I can't remember), one issue of TTA, Marvel Collector's Item Classics #1, and maybe one more.

Anyone remember anything about this?

Peace,

Chip

nex1ty.jpg

fdbuk6.jpg

ao8d1i.jpg

I am still not convinced that all books stamped with the

Eastern Clr (not for sale) are Danny's work. This book was sent in, it has the original staples (no stress in the centerfold) The cover does not appears to have been tampered with, and the pages are off white not the "cream to off white" that many of the fakes are.

If CGC just carte blanche grades the book PLOD without checking that it is not restored I would have to argue the point that it violated it's own unknow standards and provide a Detailed notation as to why the book is PLOD.

You pay good $$ to have it checked, just seeing a stamp does not make it a fake.

I 've got a good 2 more months to wait so we'll see what happens.

Worse case if they crucify my book it should get no worse than a 9+ PLOD or a 9+ Green label.. personally I feel it deserves a Blue label.

I might have to have it checked by Matt Nelson is the worse happens.

20 years ago when I was last collecting comics hardcore, there was a company called Fantazia (based in NY, I think) that offered up quite a few proof/file copies of 60's Marvel books from a company called Eastern Color, which apparently did some printing for Marvel. I remember the price list (that I still have somewhere in storage but haven't found it yet) had runs of Avengers, FF, X-men, Spidey, etc from #1 on up.

I used to own I believe 4 or 5 of those books and would love to track at least a couple down again. Does anyone have any of these in their collection? Were they eventually "named" as a pedigree or was that too early in the "naming game" to have the entire collection designated?

I believe the ones I had were FF #22 (and one or two other FFs that I can't remember), one issue of TTA, Marvel Collector's Item Classics #1, and maybe one more.

Anyone remember anything about this?

Peace,

Chip

nex1ty.jpg

fdbuk6.jpg

ao8d1i.jpg

I am still not convinced that all books stamped with the

Eastern Clr (not for sale) are Danny's work. This book was sent in, it has the original staples (no stress in the centerfold) The cover does not appears to have been tampered with, and the pages are off white not the "cream to off white" that many of the fakes are.

If CGC just carte blanche grades the book PLOD without checking that it is not restored I would have to argue the point that it violated it's own unknow standards and provide a Detailed notation as to why the book is PLOD.

You pay good $$ to have it checked, just seeing a stamp does not make it a fake.

I 've got a good 2 more months to wait so we'll see what happens.

Worse case if they crucify my book it should get no worse than a 9+ PLOD or a 9+ Green label.. personally I feel it deserves a Blue label.

I might have to have it checked by Matt Nelson is the worse happens.

Keep on banging that same drum, kemosabe. maybe the final tune will change at some point. :ohnoez:

No I don't think it looks trimmed, since I don't have it in hand to match up with another ASM 42 I'll just have to wait.

But I'm sure to get hammered but I want to be able to ask to the NOTES and reasons since there would be a significant financial impact if "they" can't authenticate their opinion. I will be very happy if it is treated the same as every book that is sent in as it should be. Considering I paid for the service upfront and waited LONG enough when it finally gets here. If the grade is premeditated then refund me the $$ and send it back. :makepoint:

Just look at this 8.0 corners look the same

jt8kdc.jpg

nex1ty.jpg

fdbuk6.jpg

One other point and be honest.. if I did not post the "stamp" what is the grade of the book. I had plenty of other board members who graded the B O O K not the myth.

No I don't think it looks trimmed, since I don't have it in hand to match up with another ASM 42 I'll just have to wait.

But I'm sure to get hammered but I want to be able to ask to the NOTES and reasons since there would be a significant financial impact if "they" can't authenticate their opinion. I will be very happy if it is treated the same as every book that is sent in as it should be. Considering I paid for the service upfront and waited LONG enough when it finally gets here. If the grade is premeditated then refund me the $$ and send it back. :makepoint:

It's impossible to tell for certain from a scan alone, but I'd be concerned that the bottom edge may be trimmed because the interior extends past it.

It's impossible to tell for certain from a scan alone, but I'd be concerned that the bottom edge may be trimmed because the interior extends past it.

I think that is because of the misswrap of the book.

I'm no trimming expert for sure but that bottom edge definitely looks trimmed imo.

I'll be shocked it that doesnt come back "bottom edge trimmed" since thats about as sharp a bottom ive ever seen with no overhang whatsoever (shrug)

What exactly was he selling? Were these actual covers that were unused that got stapled to the inside contents of the correct issue from a lower grade copy?

Hundreds, if not thousands of these unused covers came to light in the mid-1980s. Many dealers were replacing the worn covers of their books with these new covers. Its hard to believe now, but restoration and marrying covers was not looked upon with a negative eye back then, although some cases were ludicious.

Like how books now are having staples replaced, and/or are being disassembled, worked on, and reassembled to still get a blue label . Ludicrous indeed.

Thanks for that link to Stevie B.'s discussion of the Mile High Boy Comics 17 that went from a CGC 4.0 to a CGC 9.0. I'd forgotten that's where the term, "pressed to its full potential" originated on the boards. It was well worth re-reading just for that!

As to the current thread, is there anyone else who has the premonition that this won't end well?

This particular quote jumped out at me:

CGC does not and has never considered re-attachment of original parts of a comic book (without using reinforcement or glue), erasure, dry cleaning or pressing to be restoration and as such, it is not noted on the CGC label.

It sounds like a blue label pass to anyone who came into some Eastern covers when they appeared on the market, and attached them using the correct issue and period specific, original parts.

This particular quote jumped out at me:

CGC does not and has never considered re-attachment of original parts of a comic book (without using reinforcement or glue), erasure, dry cleaning or pressing to be restoration and as such, it is not noted on the CGC label.

If these Eastern covers were used by anyone that came into their possession when they appeared on the market, only later to be re-attached using the correct issue and period specific, original parts, does that give the Easterns a blue label pass?

As with a famous former Wihte House occupant's parsing, "it depends on what the definition of is is".

Depending on interpretation of "original", it seems to me. Original to the contents of the same book or original to the edition, printed near or at the same time as that particular book?