• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eastern Color Proof/File Copies?

105 posts in this topic

20 years ago when I was last collecting comics hardcore, there was a company called Fantazia (based in NY, I think) that offered up quite a few proof/file copies of 60's Marvel books from a company called Eastern Color, which apparently did some printing for Marvel. I remember the price list (that I still have somewhere in storage but haven't found it yet) had runs of Avengers, FF, X-men, Spidey, etc from #1 on up.

I used to own I believe 4 or 5 of those books and would love to track at least a couple down again. Does anyone have any of these in their collection? Were they eventually "named" as a pedigree or was that too early in the "naming game" to have the entire collection designated?

I believe the ones I had were FF #22 (and one or two other FFs that I can't remember), one issue of TTA, Marvel Collector's Item Classics #1, and maybe one more.

Anyone remember anything about this?

Peace,

Chip

There were no Eastern File copies. It was a scam ran by the former owner of Fantazia, a man who went to jail on related charges but who still defrauds the public selling restored books as originals.

Eastern printed covers for Marvel. Danny simply married cover specimens to books and pronounced them File Copies. He went so far as to have a rubber stamp made up to stamp some books.

He's scum. Hopefully you didn't pay much for them.

No kidding...really?

Wow! I had no idea it was a scam. Can't remember how much I paid back then...hopefully I can find the price list and see how much I paid. I know at least a couple of the books were stamped on the splash page.

Peace,

Chip

There were no Eastern File copies. It was a scam ran by the former owner of Fantazia, a man who went to jail on related charges but who still defrauds the public selling restored books as originals.

Eastern printed covers for Marvel. Danny simply married cover specimens to books and pronounced them File Copies. He went so far as to have a rubber stamp made up to stamp some books.

He's scum. Hopefully you didn't pay much for them.

i'm sure i had one somewhere, would love to run across it for nostalgia's sake

This is so weird...I believe I even spoke to him on the phone back then.

Surreal. lol.

Peace,

Chip

He used to post regularly on this forum early on, under the name of Hammer. He was banned several times before drifting elsewhere, but may have returned under various shills, including possibly Abrams (just speculating on this one).

Certain boardies have bookmarked key threads involving Hammer / Dupcake, and one guy in particular (OldGuy) has created a webpage devoted to the man's nefarious exploits, which have been prolific. Those early threads are genuinely worth reading, if anything to appreciate the level of intelligence and wigged out lunacy displayed by Dupcak. Either way he's rarely been out of sight or mind on this forum, despite his absence.

I had the TTA 57 Eastern File Copy for about 48 hours before I sent it back - the resto was really, really obvious, including the relining of the entire black bar that runs down the spine on the front cover side of the book. The corner crease (1/2 inch?) was also not really acceptable on a claimed NM/MT book.

I did get my $ back. Happy ending for me, I guess.

May, 1991 CBG alleged "file copy" ad by Fantazia, the OP may be referring to:

fantazia2.jpg

Yep. Not a great deal of change in his blurb...

Reads like an old Comic K*ys eBay listing.

Anybody have the link to the CBG/CGC Comic Keys exposed thread for the newbs?