• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Romita Jr. @ Vegas Hard Rock Cafe - May 4-6, 2012

164 posts in this topic

ATTENTION ALL YOU WHINY, ENTITLED, GOTTA-KNOW-IT-ALL PIZZ-ANTS:

I see all these threads, they get me all riled up, heck I wrote a 3 hour response to one that I had the smarts not to post (and I really didn't have the 3 hours I devoted to it either) but the thread usually calms down or I'm so busy it blows over and I say nothing.

Not today.

I don't have 3 hours tonight either, so let me say this:

YOU. DO NOT. KNOW. THE FULL STORY.

Am I the only one who remembers Todd M going to CGC and saying, "Nope. Nothing. Don't send anyone to my signings." and stopping altogether? Do you think he miraclously changed his mind with no intervention from forces here? You think the b*tching and moaning on these boards (which, by the way, is indexed in Google's search engines every freakin' day and read by ALL sorts of people) leads creators to go, "Gee, I want to be a part of this!"?

Trust me when I tell you:

1. There are *NO* signed contracts between DWC and any creator where DWC is paying to be the exclusive facilitator.

2. Stan's office CHOOSES to work with Chandler. They are running him and Sharon RAGGED. I have BEGGED and PLEADED with DWC to lighten their workload. I predict that one Rice will have to pick the other one off a con floor, and then the wolfpack can howl about how happy their lives will become. And the true fans will cry a river.

3. Cons do not pick up ALL the costs required when Stan does a public signing, most of the time. And surprise, surprise, they really don't like to advertise that fact, gee, I wonder why? Maybe because it's their phucking business and not yours. A deal is made where DWC is there, costs are covered by the addition of fees that apply to some of the audience, and life goes on. Go complain to CGC, I dare you, PLEASE! (sorry, CGC customer service, you don't deserve this)

But oh, no, that just don't fly. You all DEMAND to see spreadsheets, contracts, you gotta know the costs because you're CONVINCED, CONVINCED, that Chandler Rice is trying to screw you out of $20 just because he can.

4. I find this the most ironic: Romita Jr. just wanted to sketch for this event. I do not think (and John or Kathy Romita can correct me if I'm wrong) that any plans to offer to sign books, or consider larger requests than the $50 head sketch, were on the table, and they definitely didn't want to bother with taking in books to be CGC graded. Chandler stepped in, got the approval from CGC to take in enough books to hit a minimum amount to qualify for CGC grading, and worked with John to make this option happen.

And this is the thanks he gets. I am willing to go on record and say I actually begged Chandler NOT to mess with this. He's got a comic con every single weekend 'til the end of June, and he's already coming off a long streak of them. But no, he did it. And yes, he's arranging to have some books even sent over to England to get signed by Millar. But all the money raised at this event is going to the Heroes 4 Jordan charity. ALL OF IT. And I consider the Romitas to be the "First Family of Comics" so I'm glad their charity is getting the extra cash.

Of course, I'm shouting at the wind, I realize, as I type this. Those of you who label me "Chandler's helper" will just assume it's propaganda. I could spill secrets, tell you everything that Chandler has to put up to make some of this happen, and it wouldn't matter... You've made up your mind and that's it. Sure, you try to argue the "facts" but we know. WE ALL KNOW. Just be freakin' honest for once in your miserable lives and admit it.

You don't like Chandler. Not now, not ever. He could resurrect Jack Kirby for an hour like in "Pushing Daisies", arrange a signing opp, and you'd criticize something. Trust me, you're that obvious. Even when you think you're not, you are.

OWN UP TO IT OR LET IT GO. Yes, it's that simple.

It's just comic books, folks. These creators are not put on this earth to sign your comics and sketch on your blanks. You don't own them, you don't deserve a darn thing, and I wish you could just be grateful and either boycott someone you don't like or do something useful with your lives!

And now I've wasted time I don't have, and I think I've reached Elad Long status, so I'm signing off. I would love to rant on and on, I've got months worth of material burning inside, but I gotta try to catch up with my real life, ship in books to CGC from people who really do care about this industry, and survive, so I can offer opps to a group of people who will happily take what I can offer (at the right price) and then and moan about everything else.

Hey, it's my OPINION, right? I'm allowed to have my OPINION, aren't I? Somehow, I'm sure I'll be proven wrong, how you all can rant, but I'm wrong, and that's fine. it'll just prove my point. So let me end with something short, sweet, and a perfect summary:

GO. . YOURSELVES.

When I don't answer your responses, let me tell you now it has nothing to do with what you say. I'm behind on 2 different projects, I've wasted enough time on this, and I'm secretly hoping CGC bans me from the boards so I can't check in. So, discuss among yourselves, everyone. Peace out.

Sincerely and with love,

Joel "#SoSickOfThis" Elad

So am I correct that you don't have any exclusive arrangements with any creators whereby you compensate them for the right to be the CGC facilitator? I think that's what JJ is saying and saying those types of relationships are not allowed in the SS program. If so, kudos. I just seem to get confused with all the talk of DWC being the exclusive CGC option for Stan or Todd or whomever. Must be pretty nice to have these creators and others decide out of the blue to only use you for CGC stuff.

I guess since there are no exclusive contracts/deals between you and the creators, you wouldn't mind some other facilitators trying to set up these same types of signings, right?

To answer your question, I don't see it as you do it or it doesn't get done at all. I see it as either you agree to do it (for whatever special accommodations you've worked out with certain creators) or it doesn't get done, because, for whatever reason [$, choice, who knows] that creator now refuses to work with any of the other competent, professional, approved facilitators.

For the record, I'm a consumer of the SS product. I don't have to be a facilitator (and I'll let you guess whether I've been approved as one) to voice my opinion when I see, what appear to be, restrictive offerings that look like exclusives or monopolies on certain creators. Keep delivering the same level of service you always do for your clients. Eventually, the market will come to afford you the level of business that you deserve. (thumbs u

I was going to reply to the points here, but I'm just done. For the record, it's never that clear, the story is never that easy. Your "competent, professional, approved" facilitators pull sh*t too, you just don't know about it. The other parties have demands they don't like to advertise. Nothing was out of the blue, but it's not as nefarious as you think. I would ask you to trust me, but I seriously doubt you or the others can. So that's it.

I see all these threads, they get me all riled up, heck I wrote a 3 hour response to one that I had the smarts not to post (and I really didn't have the 3 hours I devoted to it either) but the thread usually calms down or I'm so busy it blows over and I say nothing.

Not today.

Am I the only one who remembers Todd M going to CGC and saying, "Nope. Nothing. Don't send anyone to my signings." and stopping altogether? Do you think he miraclously changed his mind with no intervention from forces here? You think the b*tching and moaning on these boards (which, by the way, is indexed in Google's search engines every freakin' day and read by ALL sorts of people) leads creators to go, "Gee, I want to be a part of this!"?

1. There are *NO* signed contracts between DWC and any creator where DWC is paying to be the exclusive facilitator.

2. Stan's office CHOOSES to work with Chandler. They are running him and Sharon RAGGED. I have BEGGED and PLEADED with DWC to lighten their workload. I predict that one Rice will have to pick the other one off a con floor, and then the wolfpack can howl about how happy their lives will become. And the true fans will cry a river.

3. Cons do not pick up ALL the costs required when Stan does a public signing, most of the time. And surprise, surprise, they really don't like to advertise that fact, gee, I wonder why? Maybe because it's their phucking business and not yours. A deal is made where DWC is there, costs are covered by the addition of fees that apply to some of the audience, and life goes on. Go complain to CGC, I dare you, PLEASE! (sorry, CGC customer service, you don't deserve this)

But oh, no, that just don't fly. You all DEMAND to see spreadsheets, contracts, you gotta know the costs because you're CONVINCED, CONVINCED, that Chandler Rice is trying to screw you out of $20 just because he can.

4. I find this the most ironic: Romita Jr. just wanted to sketch for this event. I do not think (and John or Kathy Romita can correct me if I'm wrong) that any plans to offer to sign books, or consider larger requests than the $50 head sketch, were on the table, and they definitely didn't want to bother with taking in books to be CGC graded. Chandler stepped in, got the approval from CGC to take in enough books to hit a minimum amount to qualify for CGC grading, and worked with John to make this option happen.

And this is the thanks he gets. I am willing to go on record and say I actually begged Chandler NOT to mess with this. He's got a comic con every single weekend 'til the end of June, and he's already coming off a long streak of them. But no, he did it. And yes, he's arranging to have some books even sent over to England to get signed by Millar. But all the money raised at this event is going to the Heroes 4 Jordan charity. ALL OF IT. And I consider the Romitas to be the "First Family of Comics" so I'm glad their charity is getting the extra cash.

Of course, I'm shouting at the wind, I realize, as I type this. Those of you who label me "Chandler's helper" will just assume it's propaganda. I could spill secrets, tell you everything that Chandler has to put up to make some of this happen, and it wouldn't matter... You've made up your mind and that's it. Sure, you try to argue the "facts" but we know. WE ALL KNOW. Just be freakin' honest for once in your miserable lives and admit it.

You don't like Chandler. Not now, not ever. He could resurrect Jack Kirby for an hour like in "Pushing Daisies", arrange a signing opp, and you'd criticize something. Trust me, you're that obvious. Even when you think you're not, you are.

It's just comic books, folks. These creators are not put on this earth to sign your comics and sketch on your blanks. You don't own them, you don't deserve a darn thing, and I wish you could just be grateful and either boycott someone you don't like or do something useful with your lives!

And now I've wasted time I don't have, and I think I've reached Elad Long status, so I'm signing off. I would love to rant on and on, I've got months worth of material burning inside, but I gotta try to catch up with my real life, ship in books to CGC from people who really do care about this industry, and survive, so I can offer opps to a group of people who will happily take what I can offer (at the right price) and then and moan about everything else.

Hey, it's my OPINION, right? I'm allowed to have my OPINION, aren't I? Somehow, I'm sure I'll be proven wrong, how you all can rant, but I'm wrong, and that's fine. it'll just prove my point. So let me end with something short, sweet, and a perfect summary:

GO. . YOURSELVES.

When I don't answer your responses, let me tell you now it has nothing to do with what you say. I'm behind on 2 different projects, I've wasted enough time on this, and I'm secretly hoping CGC bans me from the boards so I can't check in. So, discuss among yourselves, everyone. Peace out.

Sincerely and with love,

So am I correct that you don't have any exclusive arrangements with any creators whereby you compensate them for the right to be the CGC facilitator? I think that's what JJ is saying and saying those types of relationships are not allowed in the SS program. If so, kudos. I just seem to get confused with all the talk of DWC being the exclusive CGC option for Stan or Todd or whomever. Must be pretty nice to have these creators and others decide out of the blue to only use you for CGC stuff.

I guess since there are no exclusive contracts/deals between you and the creators, you wouldn't mind some other facilitators trying to set up these same types of signings, right?

To answer your question, I don't see it as you do it or it doesn't get done at all. I see it as either you agree to do it (for whatever special accommodations you've worked out with certain creators) or it doesn't get done, because, for whatever reason [$, choice, who knows] that creator now refuses to work with any of the other competent, professional, approved facilitators.

For the record, I'm a consumer of the SS product. I don't have to be a facilitator (and I'll let you guess whether I've been approved as one) to voice my opinion when I see, what appear to be, restrictive offerings that look like exclusives or monopolies on certain creators. Keep delivering the same level of service you always do for your clients. Eventually, the market will come to afford you the level of business that you deserve. (thumbs u

I was going to reply to the points here, but I'm just done. For the record, it's never that clear, the story is never that easy. Your "competent, professional, approved" facilitators pull sh*t too, you just don't know about it. The other parties have demands they don't like to advertise. Nothing was out of the blue, but it's not as nefarious as you think. I would ask you to trust me, but I seriously doubt you or the others can. So that's it.

:applause: Now I don't feel so alone.

Not today.

GO. . YOURSELVES.

Sincerely and with love,

:applause: Now I don't feel so alone.

I don't post in these threads very often. I don't care for the pile on mentality that some feel the need to engage in. I let my money speak for me.

I'm very happy Joel posted this.

Haters gonna hate :blahblah: Happy w DWC, they take pretty good care of me and help me make the most of the limited time I have to spend in this hobby. Think they are a significant asset to the signature series program. Think some folks really need to chill out a bit. Aren't we all supposed to be in line for Avengers tickets anyway? :jokealert:

While I have no dog in this fight, I have been privy to hear and see some things that go on behind the scenes regarding some of these signings.

All I will say is what Joel already has.

My momma always used to say "when someone tells you that you don't know the whole story, that means they don't either." Wise lady. I don't think anyone here thinks they are omniscient, but that doesn't also mean that they aren't keenly aware of what they've witnessed with their own two eyes. That includes Joel obviously.

I've never seen Joel so agitated and so profane at the same time. He mentioned having secrets about things that have gone down and poor treatment of creators to share but that he's left the conversation and isn't coming back. It's too bad he's Severined himself from the thread.

Those would have been interesting to hear.

This is a great cause being done by one of the all time great comic book artists. I am lucky enough to have already scheduled a vacation in Vegas that same weekend. I will be at this event with bells on. Here is a link that has JRJr talking about the event itself.

http://www.mtv.com/videos/interview/762930/john-romita-jr-to-break-guinness-world-record-for-charity.jhtml?xrs=playershare_fb

Thanks for the link PaulG, John Jr. seems like such a really nice guy. :headbang:

I have yet to meet JRJR, even with attending several shows a year so I think I am going to have to make the 10 hour drive to Vegas for this one...

I wonder what the lines will be like and what the wait time will be? :ohnoez:

Comic Book Guy, my instincts say that the first 8-10 hours will be the most busy. Then it will be busy Saturday afternoon as well. I would think 4AM either night would be an easy time to hit him up. Most people will be drunk or sleeping. The last few hours will get busy as everyone will want to see him break the record.

My flight on Friday is at 6. I just hope that I can get to the front between noon and 3:30. Maybe if I'm up I'll do something crazy likebuybothcovers and then submit one.

This will be a great comics oriented cap to a trip that involves my other loves. Vegas gambling and work.

My momma always used to say "when someone tells you that you don't know the whole story, that means they don't either." Wise lady.

Agreed. Two one sided stories does not a complete story make.

I have not even read the entire thread, just bits and pieces but having met Joel and talked to him (and by his posting on the boards) I was quite taken aback by his post when I read it.

And Transplant like I said before, if you would care to step up and set up your own signing opportunities with any of these creators I am NOT stopping you. Thank you for your opinion and input.

Been reading this thread from the beginning, and then I come across this post from DWC.

I am not a big poster here on the boards, I use it mainly as a information resource, but after seeing this post by DWC, I had to say something.

DWC, how can you possibly say this with a clear conscience?

If you set the wayback machine to last summer, just prior to the Baltimore Comic Con (where you had another "exclusive" DWC Stan Lee signing) myself, and several other local comic fans/collectors/lovers had taken the opportunity to take advantage of a local, Baltimore area comic store's previously arranged private signing with Stan the night before the Con. This private event had been arranged with Stan's people long before the show and had no conflict with your (DWC) signing at the Con on Saturday and Sunday.

Imagine how shocked I was to learn, just prior to "our" private signing opportunity with Stan, that you had found out about "our" private signing with Stan, and how you called the owner of the local shop (you called him personally I might add) who had arranged this, through proper channels with Stan's people, as well as CGC, and informed him that you were in charge of all Stan's signing events, and that "our"signing would not be permitted to happen.

Myself, and most of the other participants in this signing, were trying to support a local business, and were hoping that we might be able to see Stan himself at the signing, as well as seeing our books signed by the man himself. But, because this was a private signing, that you had no control of (or financial interest in) you just couldn't let it happen.

The local owner had to jump through every hoop imaginable to get our signing back on track after you selfishly tried to get our signing cancelled, just so your "exclusive public" signing at the Con would be the ONLY opportunity for local Baltimore comic fans to get their books done at.

How dare you try to come across as the good guy who is being persecuted when you tried to step on a small, local business, who had already arranged their event through the proper channels, just because you weren't getting your "exclusive".

Stop hiding behind your bs, because there are a lot of us who just aren't buying it anymore.

And for the record, I am a small collector who would love to get a Todd McFarlane sig on several of my books, but if the only way I can do it is to go through you in ANY way, I will just never bother, because I will never put a dime of my money in your pocket...

And to be clear, this is just in response to what you (DWC) said yourself... not meaning to on JRJR's Charity work....

Wow, just Wow. I originally posted this because it was for a great cause. I never realized how much of a contest it would turn into.

Forget the CGC aspect that this thread turned into and look at what is really at stake here. It is for a couple of great charities that help KIDS.

Step away from the keyboard and relax.

EdRod68,

We fully remember this signing and it is unfortunate your recounting of what seems to be 2nd hand information is full of misunderstood facts. But then we realize that no matter what we say, even when supported by proof, will not change your mind. Once again ask Peter Dixon or NYComics if we have been supportive of their signings? With that said I will go to bed and get ready for another long day of signings in Calgary which has been fantastic so far and from what we have been told will have over 50,000 attending tomorrow and if today was any indications Calgary will reach that easily.