• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Romita Jr. @ Vegas Hard Rock Cafe - May 4-6, 2012

164 posts in this topic

A response to this past weekend will be posted shortly in the interesting discussion thread.

Now back to business of the John Romita Jr. Charity Sketch Event.

The event will begin at 12:00 pm on Friday, May 4th at the Hard Rock Cafe on the Las Vegas Strip. It will continue in the same location until the conclusion on Sunday, May 6th at 2 pm. This of course, is assuming that John can last for the 50 continous hours. We ask that anyone who wants, please come by and cheer John on anytime during the 50 hours.

For those of you that will be attending the event, DWC will be providing a CGC CAW at the event during the following hours.

Friday 12 pm - 3 pm, 5 pm - 8 pm, 11 pm - 2 am

Saturday 10 am - 1 pm, 4 pm - 7pm, 10 pm - 1 am

Sunday 10 am - 2 pm

If you have you own CGC authorized CAW than you can come whenever you want to. Please make arrangements with Joe Pierson at CGC regarding having your own CAW.

To get your sketch CGC graded, DWC is charging $100.00 plus return shipping that includes the sketch donation of $50.00, the sketch blank donation of $10.00, the DWC modern tier submission fee of $35.00 and the CGC processing fee of $5.00. If you wish to provide your own blank cover that John approves of, then you can deduct the $10.00 blank cover donation from the total. Return shipping fee depends on what country the book will be shipped to.

If you only wish to get a signature then the fee charged will be $70.00 plus return shipping that includes the signature donation of $20.00, the sketch blank donation of $10.00, the DWC modern tier submission fee of $35.00 and the CGC processing fee of $5.00. If you wish to provide your own book that John approves of, then you can deduct the $10.00 blank cover donation from the total. Return shipping fee depends on what country the book will be shipped to.

For those of you who can not attend, DWC will have a limited number of sketchs available after this event is over for those who can not make it out to Las Vegas. Starting Friday, May 4th every morning of the event, beginning at 8:00 am PST, DWC will make 10 sketch spots available to be purchased in the DWC Webstore. No specific character or CGC grade can be guaranteed. Duplicate orders will only be allowed if spots are left available.

And you can follow the event with a live feed by going to

Below is one of the event blank covers available to be purchased at the event and in the DWC webstore after the event is over. The cost will be $10.00.

KickAss2Blank.jpg

If I just want to come in to get a signature on one or more of my books with no extras, is it $20 per book? Or, is he going to be there only to do sketches? Thanks.

If I just want to come in to get a signature on one or more of my books with no extras, is it $20 per book? Or, is he going to be there only to do sketches? Thanks.

I saw a interview John did where he said a signature was $20 for up to 25 books.

John B

I saw a interview John did where he said a signature was $20 for up to 25 books.

John B

According to John that was a comment made out of context. He is offering a special price for more then 1 book signed. Come on down and find out.

John B

According to John that was a comment made out of context. He is offering a special price for more then 1 book signed. Come on down and find out.

Sounds good, especially since it is all for a good cause.

went by today and got a sketch cover done by JR JR (head sketch of spidey). Super nice guy. There was almost no line, so if you're in the area, you may want to check it out today.

Man I wish I was in Vegas... I really would like a sketch.

For those of you who can not attend, DWC will have a limited number of sketchs available after this event is over for those who can not make it out to Las Vegas. Starting Friday, May 4th every morning of the event, beginning at 8:00 am PST, DWC will make 10 sketch spots available to be purchased in the DWC Webstore. No specific character or CGC grade can be guaranteed. Duplicate orders will only be allowed if spots are left available.

POST-EVENT COMMENTS:

Overall, this event was a great success from a fan's perspective and standpoint. John Romita Jr was fundraising by sketching and signing autographs for 3 days in Las Vegas.

The location was accessible and easy to find.

The organizers, Desertwind Comics were on hand both supervising the event and providing support for John Romita Jr througout the majority of his attempt to break records appearing for 3 days non-stop, for I think 50 consecutive hours with only short breaks.

The system was very organized and fair.

The staff on-hand were very helpful and friendly.

There were times when the signing (inherent to having it for 2 days straight, day and night) was slower, and I heard John Romita Jr graciously accomodated a few full figure commission requests as well as multple sketch requests.

I believe the entire event was recorded and broadcast live via streaming video.

Overall, this was an excellent event and a tremendous opportunity. I heard a few fans drove from Colorado nearly a full day on the road just to meet John Romita Jr, and many from Calfornia drove 4 hours each way for the event.

Again, I thought this was a well organized event by Desertwind, providing the opportunity for both fans to meet JR Jr. and for Romita Jr to raise funds for his charity.

I look forward to the next Desertwind event.

Man I wish I was in Vegas... I really would like a sketch.

Desertwind, this may be an odd question, but is there a COA available through you for signed books I want to keep raw? Thanks.

Yes there is and all of the COA money goes to the charity.

This is for charity people, get a life. DWC I like you.

Events for charity need even more oversight and scrutiny, that's just common sense.

Is DWC donating all their time and resources as well or is the money that goes to the charity what's left once DWC takes out their fees, expenses and overhead?

Did this last question ever get answered? I'm sure people would have been more inclined to get books CGC'd or buy these extra sketch covers, if all the profit was going to the charity? As far as I can tell, only the COA money was pledged to the charity. So, does it?

This was a great event. I had a blast. Picked up some sketches for myself and some friends. John and his wife Kathy were great people to talk with and I spent a ton of time on my trip to Vegas hanging out with them, their family and all the other volunteers. Couldn't have been a better time for a better cause. Never posted pics here before so if I can't figure it out, I'll put a link to my CAF.

I thought The Romita family, the Romita Foundation, the Candlelighters Childhood Cancer Foundation of Nevada, and Heroes for Jordan were the Organizers?

They did have lots of sponsors like Marvel and Oasis Comics, etc., but the organizers were the CCCFN and the Romita Foundation, that's why cash donations could be deducted from income tax.

Kathy Romita was listed as the event chair. I think she did a fabulous job along with Spencer Beck of The Artist's Choice who helped get the word out to everyone in the artist and publisher community.

I didn't want their contributions and their leadership to get lost in the shuffle and the marketing of this great event and turnout.

Well done everyone! :applause:

Thanks for the info Chris. I went to the page linked and it was hard to find info from there about who was putting on the event and which charities were affiliated.