• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pre-Screening

12 posts in this topic

I want to know more about this process. How does it work and how do you go about it? What are the fees (and why is there no mention of pre-screening in the services & submissions portion of the boards?) Can you pre-screen for a 10.0 grade?

I want to know more about this process. How does it work and how do you go about it? What are the fees (and why is there no mention of pre-screening in the services & submissions portion of the boards?) Can you pre-screen for a 10.0 grade?

This has been discussed many times, so try a search.

Short answer:

prescreen can be used if you have big number of books. 50 for pre-Modern book minimum, 100 if sending in Moderns. You can prescreen for any grade--but only on the entire batch. They charge a "failure" fee for each one rejected---$3 or $5 (I forget). So, it would be prudent to prescreen yourself before sending in the books--otherwise that flushing noise you hear will be your money going down the toilet.

The noise on the street is that CGC is getting "tougher" for 10.0 grades--whatever that means. Although I don't agree on many things Mile High Chuck says about CGC, I do agree that there are indeed split hairs between 9.8 and 10.0. For my money 9.4 is just fine! thumbsup2.gif (of course, Moderns and new books should be 9.8 or better, otherwise you are indeed wasting your money).

This has been discussed many times, so try a search.

Short answer:

prescreen can be used if you have big number of books. 50 for pre-Modern book minimum, 100 if sending in Moderns. You can prescreen for any grade--but only on the entire batch. They charge a "failure" fee for each one rejected---$3 or $5 (I forget). So, it would be prudent to prescreen yourself before sending in the books--otherwise that flushing noise you hear will be your money going down the toilet.

thumbsup2.gif

Our pre-screens work as follows:

For the Modern tier we require at least 100 comics and all other tiers, at least 50 comics. You specify one minimum grade for the entire batch. In approximately a month they will be screened for that grade; those that meet or exceed it will be put in the specified tier at its respective turnaround time and those that are rejected will be returned at a nominal fee per comic (plus shipping and insurance). The fees are as follows: Modern $3 per reject, Economy $ 5 per reject, and Standard $7 per reject . We ask that all comics be in a mylar with a backing board and clearly listed on an invoice.

question answered...thanks!

And I havent seen the finale yet, but I know that Tony S. made out better then Tony B.!! foreheadslap.gif

The highest grade you can prescreen for is 9.8 thumbsup2.gif

do you know why LH? probrably to hard to pre-screen for a perfect comic... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

do you know why LH? probrably to hard to pre-screen for a perfect comic... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I assume it's a waste of man hours to pre-screen higher than 9.8. Since it so hard to achieve a 9.9 or 10.0.

The criteria that determine whether a book is a 9.8 or 9.9 requires too much labor to make prescreening feasible.

When screening for 9.8s you can make 90% of the rejection calls in under 10 seconds. Those last 10% take a little more time, and some of them that make it through the initial prescreen process will be rejected later because they just don't quite make the cut. They still only get charged as prescreen rejects even though they have gone through the full grading process at that point.

If CGC allowed screening of 9.9s, you'd still have some sub-9.8 copies that could be rejected in 10 seconds. But almost every one of the actual 9.8s would require the full grading process to be sure it wasn't a 9.9. There's no way for them to make money doing all that work for $3-5 a book.

If I send a stack of 100 moderns, of which 80 will pass 9.8, I would bet that Litch can pull 18 of the 20 rejects on his first 10 second per book pass. So only two eventual rejects would have to go through the grading process. If I was screening for 9.9, Litch could still pull the 20 sub-9.8 books in seconds, but pulling the 9.8s out of the 9.9s takes a lot more time...

And I use the "10 second" estimate loosely. I would expect that on a lot of the books it's actually much, much faster. It takes me about 10 minutes to screen 100 books on my end (which will pass at around 85%) and I would say that half of that 10 minutes is spent on about 15 of the books. The rest I can prescreen in 3 seconds or less (mostly straight into the "do not submit" pile)...