• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective #31

11 posts in this topic

OK I've been actively buying comics for over 30 years and I have never seen this comic in a collection. As a fanboy I have always been hooked on the appeal of this comic. I'm kicking myself for not buying a 2.0 a few years back for what I just paid for this comic. Anyway see what you think this would grade out at.

Cover is completely split and detached. Unrestored and all original matching parts. Cream/off-white pages. No brittleness.

Only 2 choices to pick from, .5 or 1.0

Not for sale but I'm interested in what you think the market value is on this comic since a 1.5 supposedly sold for 25K

Thanks Leroy

det31.jpg

det31int.jpg

det31bc.jpg

Hate to call it a .5 if it's all there, even with a few chunks out of the cover, and if the pages aren't brittle, mildewed or otherwise defaced, but it's certainly on the low end of FR.

While it may seem silly to people who don't buy low grade books, prior to CGC,grades like FR- and PR/FR were used frequently. Those are the kind of grades I'd tend to use for a book like this.

0.8 ;)

Tape the cover to the interior and its a 1.0 for sure.

I'd call it a 1.0 anyway. Complete book with the majority of the cover and the pieces missing don't outright deface it. No water damage or other major issues, when a low grade is that "nice" I usually step it up from the 0.5 range. The 0.5's I think are more considered for just out right messes of a comic.

Technical grade poor due to full spine split and POFC. But tape the spine and you will get a 1.0 no doubt. The plus side is no brittleness and the iconic image of the bat-man is still all there. When did a 1.5 go for $25k? If this got into a 1.0 blue label, I can see it going for $10k-$12k tops

Technical grade poor due to full spine split and POFC. But tape the spine and you will get a 1.0 no doubt. The plus side is no brittleness and the iconic image of the bat-man is still all there. When did a 1.5 go for $25k? If this got into a 1.0 blue label, I can see it going for $10k-$12k tops

it was on Ebay about 2 months ago...someone hit the BIN or best offer. The book was discussed in the Gold forum prior to the sale. Most thought the asking price was a tad too optimistic but after 2 months or so, someone bought it.

GPA did record it.

we all know bad deals do get pass GPA once in a while so I can't say for certain if the deal is legit....but the book was not relisted since so I think it is likely legit.

it was on Ebay about 2 months ago...someone hit the BIN or best offer. The book was discussed in the Gold forum prior to the sale. Most thought the asking price was a tad too optimistic but after 2 months or so, someone bought it.

GPA did record it.

we all know bad deals do get pass GPA once in a while so I can't say for certain if the deal is legit....but the book was not relisted since so I think it is likely legit.

thanks, I remember that book now...

It seems to me like the low grade scale needs to be more defined just like high grade scale is.

If we have 9.0, 9.2, 9.4, 9.6, 9.8, 9.9 and 10.0 why don't we have NG, .2, .5, .8, 1.0 etc?

I agree with the poster who called this a .8 but we don't have such a grade.

This comic could be a .5 with or without the back cover and that does not make sense grade wise. Value wise I would get more with it having the back cover.

I agree with the poster who called this a .8 but we don't have such a grade.

CGC doesn't, but we can come up with added numerical grades if we wish. At least one of the big dealers ( Metro?), lists books as VG++ (4.75) at times - which to me is more of a BS grade than PR/FR, FR- and FR+. On the flipside, I still don't really understand what the difference is between a 9.9 and a 10.0, so I suppose coming up with more than 4 grades below GD might be overkill as well.