• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Disputing credit card charges thru paypal for comics?

15 posts in this topic

Awhile back, I purchased some comics from a person and paid for it through paypal with my credit card. The comics were overgraded and some are even color touched. I immediately email the seller to inform him that I want to return the books, but have not heard a word from him since. I called up my credit card company to dispute the charges and they told me to send in all the paper work (even told that I may need to take the comics to a dealer who can verify that the comics were overgraded). Now I've never had to dispute charges for comics made on my cc, but fairly confident that it'll work out in my favor.

Has anyone ever had any good/bad experiences with a similiar situation?

Oh ya, here's a gratuitious graemlin. sumo.gif

I've had a horrible experience as a seller that accepted Paypal. Two months after my auction, the buyer claimed identity theft, disputed the charge and Paypal tried to chargeback $1,100. Total nonsense... the buyer is a liar and used the system to get himself a bunch of free comics. Needless to say, I am no longer a Paypal user.

That said, Paypal tends to better protect buyers than sellers. They seem fairly arbitrary as to when they will allow a chargeback, so 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Because Paypal has such a high percentage of fraud and chargeback, some CC companies will NOT accept chargebacks of Paypal transactions.

Read all about it here:

PaypalSucks.com

I think PayPal wants you to dispute things through them first, not through your credit card. I want to say that I've read somewhere (I've had to file a few complaints myself over the years) that if you dispute the charges by going to your credit card instead of going to them, they reserve the right to take away your PayPal "membership" (or whatever you'd call it). This may have changed, you should probably contact PayPal about it.

I went through the exact same thing as you and here's the deal. If you dispute the charges through your CC, your CC will give you yoour money back but and here's the problem, Paypal will screw you. They will limit your account and you will not be able to withdraw or send money with it until you pay Paypal back the money that your CC charged back. If you have money in your Paypal account it will sit there indefinitely, if someone sends money to your Paypal account it will be accepted and then you can't touch it. I think they may even be able to take the money from your checking account that is linked to Paypal, but I'm not sure about this. Paypal wants you to do their dispute resolution. Problem with this is that they won't cover you for merchandise that is not up to par. They only cover you if you didn't receive anything. So basically the only thing to do is take out any money you have in your Paypal account and unlink your checking account and credit card and then do the charge back with your CC. You have to kiss your Paypal account goodbye but that's better than being out a bunch of money.

I guess I was an early subscriber to Paypal so they can't take money out of my checking account. I have done chargebacks twice and nothing has been to done to me (I have sent both the books back and both merchants never gave me a credit). It all depends on when you signed up for Paypal, I guess.

Nope, it depends on whether after your chargeback, if Paypal is able to get the funds back from the seller.

If they can, nothing happens, but if the seller takes off with a zero balance, they will come after the buyer who made the chargeback.

You've been very lucky my friend.

I've heard all sorts of horror stories about paypals' nonexistent customer service, and that's why I paid with my credit card instead of a bank transfer. I could care less if Paypal cancels my account over my filing a credit card chargeback. The purchase was for $1000 and I'm sure I'll be fine w/o their services should they cut me off.

I was screwed over last year by Paypal and some scam artist who paid me with a cc, only to dispute the charges (claimed she lost the card, even though she took delivery of the item at her residence). I had proof that I sent this person the item with delivery confirmation, but that didn't stop paypal from taking the money from my bank. Since then, I made sure the balance on the bank account that paypal can transfer from always remained $0.00. The second I receive money thru paypal, I deposit the funds into the bank account and then immediately withdraw them into my regular bank account.

In this case, I'm confident my credit card company will back me up. Pretty straight forward case of misrepresenting the description of the merchandise. I spoke with a customer rep from my cc and they said that I may have to bring the books into a dealer to verify that the comics I received were not of the grade promised and contained color touching.

By the way, thanks to this board, I was able to educate myself on how spot the color touch and save myself a big headache down the road. thumbsup2.gif

Here is what you do. You take your CC off of your Paypal account. It's illegal for them to "chargeback" anything that they aren't authorized to do so, and since they don't have your CC they can't just do it automatically. At this point, they know there's nothing else to do but the RIGHT THING and chargeback the paypalee (person you sent the money to).

First things first however, file a dispute with the CC company. They will flag the transaction and most companies will send you a sheet to fill out. Take pictures of the books, and send copies of the emails and the auctions. Finally take the books for an independant grade (to anyone who knows comics enough and will sign an "affidavit" testifying to this misgrading). At this point, mail everything in and send the book back to the seller signature confirmation. Mail copy of the receipt and signature confirmation along with the dispute filing to the CC. It'll take about one billing cycle before it'll be taken off.

Hopefully you won't have to do this very often because the CC company may get "tired" of it and it COULD effect your credit report.

Brian

When ever I sell something over $100 I demand in my auctions that

if they pay with PayPal that they are confirmed.

I am confirmed and when a seller and a buyer are both confirmed within a transaction

the deal is sealed with a gurantee from PayPal itself.

I know this because I had a lame-azz buyer try to weasel these way out of the payment

by filing a ID Theft and I reported her azz and within less than a week the payment was back in the account and the girl it ended up being investigated by the feds for fraud!

I hope that dirty wench got busted!

Why does everyone want to rip people off these days, I just don't get it.

What comes around goes around, if you mess somebody over for money

the same is just going to happen to you.

893frustrated.gif

I went through paypal today just to see what they could/would do and of course, got this canned reply:

"As stated in our User Agreement, PayPal's Buyer Complaint Policy only

applies to the shipment of goods and does not apply to disputes about the

attributes or quality of goods received. Therefore, we regret to inform you

that we are unable to reverse this transaction or issue a refund.

We encourage you to continue to work directly with the seller to amicably

resolve this dispute and apologize for any inconvenience. If this

transaction occurred on eBay, you may file a Standard Purchase Protection

Program claim through eBay.

PayPal does not tolerate fraud or illegal activities. Your complaint has

been noted in the record of the PayPal user you reported. If we find this

user has violated our policies, we will investigate and take appropriate

action. If this occurs, you may be contacted in the future about the status

of this complaint.

We appreciate your business, and regret this experience.

To make sure future transactions proceed smoothly, we suggest reading these

Security Tips:"

I'm going to now dispute the charges via my credit card and let them take care of this.

I went through paypal today just to see what they could/would do and of course, got this canned reply:

"As stated in our User Agreement, PayPal's Buyer Complaint Policy only

applies to the shipment of goods and does not apply to disputes about the

attributes or quality of goods received.

I've heard stories of people buying computers and getting a brick in the box... and Paypal won't do a thing because it's a "quality of goods issue." insane.gif

Use Paypal long enough, and you WILL be burned.

When ever I sell something over $100 I demand in my auctions that

if they pay with PayPal that they are confirmed.

I am confirmed and when a seller and a buyer are both confirmed within a transaction the deal is sealed with a gurantee from PayPal itself.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I shipped to their confirmed address, had Delivery Confirmation proof and I still got burned by a Paypal chargeback.

My proof was so good that the NYS Attorney General wrote to them directly and told them to re-evaluate my case because my documentation was compelling and complete.

Paypal still didn't care.

Paypal is not governed by consumer protection laws like a real bank or credit card company. Paypal's rules are set up to protect Paypal, NOT the users. Their "protections" are a joke and you are at their mercy in a dispute