• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greg Capullo Original Art?
2 2

181 posts in this topic

Also capullo is hotter then ever right now because of Bats so now is the best time to sell his work. =)

I do agree, he has a hot hand but I'm not sure if that heat is sustainable, so if you're looking for profit, sell now, if you're a fan, I'd keep the art as his originals are rather elusive.

Hey everyone, not to bump this thread or whatnot. But I did see on greg's Twitter feed this afternoon someone snagged an OA piece at NYCC this year. I checked out the guys profile, and I looks like he bought it at the show.

The weird thing was it had one of spencer becks cards kinda sticking out from the picture.

Can be found here :

Should anyone be curious – I recently offered Greg $25K USD for the Batman #1 cover. A no go!

Thanks for letting him now believe it's worth even that much.

Should anyone be curious – I recently offered Greg $25K USD for the Batman #1 cover. A no go!

It is to me! Arguably my favourite run in comics history. (I'm 26, gravitate towards modern stories.)

It is to me! Arguably my favourite run in comics history. (I'm 26, gravitate towards modern stories.)

lol Just messing with you. It's ok. Every one of us has something that's worth the world to us even if it's only to us. Makes this hobby fun.

Heh, no worries :)

Question for you all: It appears the edges on the left and bottom are yellowed, but the artwork itself is only a few years old. What causes this and how much does it affect value? (I'm asking both in general and this piece specifically.)

2PLm1FbE_0310130944531.jpg

Heh, no worries :)

Question for you all: It appears the edges on the left and bottom are yellowed, but the artwork itself is only a few years old. What causes this and how much does it affect value? (I'm asking both in general and this piece specifically.)

2PLm1FbE_0310130944531.jpg

Pretty much makes that have no value. Please PM me and get my address to send it to so I can shred it for you. Kidding, that is a fantastic piece. Thank you for sharing it.

I don't think he owns it. Capullo still has it (if I read his initial post correctly).

The slight yellowing would have zero effect on value.

Edited by chrisco37

I don't think he owns it. Capullo still has it (if I read his initial post correctly).

Thanks! Do you know what the cause of it is?

Correct, Capullo still has it. And I've just confirmed: It's $50K FIRM.

Thanks! Do you know what the cause of it is?

Correct, Capullo still has it. And I've just confirmed: It's $50K FIRM.

It doesn't look like yellowing so much as light staining from handling and in the creation of the piece. Also, if the piece was shuttled back and forth from DC offices and back to Greg almost anything could have made its way onto the piece.

Could be just an older page that he drew it on. I can't quite make out the printed date along the right side (blue letters).

Not sure how it works with the companies/artists. I would imagine the company just gives an artist a big honking stack of their blank pages. Artist uses those until he needs more. Maybe Capullo is still working thru his first stack of DC blanks???

The series is, what, a few years old? The date of the board looks to be 200_?

Hard to criticize him for pricing as he does in terms of original art values being very subjective, as they're not "priced to move" in terms of general affordability compared to his peers, but Capullo seems to be a rather smart business man in controlling the supply/inventory to the demand in pricing what he wants (what it will take) for his artwork, knowing buyers have no other options to secure his artwork from other sources.

He may end up one of those "he who dies with the most toys, wins!" stack of unsold art as the marketplace may be unwilling to pay what he wants, but at least he's maintaining rate integrity and for those who end up taking that leap of faith and paying the asking price, hopefully there's never a future fire sale where he drops prices and market values adjust downward.

I wonder however, if he has worked with inkers to split original pages, and going through the inkers might be a better route for collectors.

I can answer a few of those questions:

- Miki gets every third issue from 21 onward. Two issues go to Greg, one to Miki.

- That said, Greg controls the prices and Miki charges what Greg tells him to.

- Batman #1 has received numerous, much higher offers above my 25K, all rejected as 50K is firm.

- Greg's other covers for Batman are estimated to cost 30 – 40K range. I offered 15 for some lesser known ones and was told it was way off (but this was not told to me by Greg.)

- All that said, Greg is very hard to get a hold of. I've tried contacting him on CAF, Facebook, Twitter, etc. all with no response.

Makes Jim Lee look cheap doh!

Edited by Mr. Machismo