• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greg Capullo Original Art?
2 2

181 posts in this topic

I wonder why greg doesn't introduce his work to the market via an auction house. I think a careful selection at a well promoted auction would set a market value where his work could be priced in a way, even if it was high that wouldn't seem absurd to the average collector.

I believe the simple answer is that he's not interested in the market rates for things. He prices art based on his willingness to part with it. He's got a variety of reasons for wanted to keep pieces based on time, sentimental value, skill, or significance (personal and professional). He simply doesn't care what the average collector thinks about the value, he wants to be sure he doesn't ever regret selling a piece, and prices accordingly. Unique point of view, but I give him credit for finding a system he can feel good about.

6 hours ago, RICKYBOBBY said:

Tried putting in a request.. do you get like a confirmation email when you complete the request? I just get a message saying cart is empty after pressing "Send Request"

RickyB

I just tried and I did recieve a quick note the message had been sent. I did not, however, receive a confirmation.

So the request feature was broken on the piece I wanted. Luckily I was able to find their email address and I got a quick response back from Jamie.

I agree on the prices for the Batman stuff but Spawn 32 cover for 6k? Or the Spawn 95 cover for 8k? I grabbed the Spawn 95 cover since it was the last left but thought they were slightly under priced. Both inked by McFarlane.

RickyB

47 minutes ago, RICKYBOBBY said:

So the request feature was broken on the piece I wanted. Luckily I was able to find their email address and I got a quick response back from Jamie.

I agree on the prices for the Batman stuff but Spawn 32 cover for 6k? Or the Spawn 95 cover for 8k? I grabbed the Spawn 95 cover since it was the last left but thought they were slightly under priced. Both inked by McFarlane.

RickyB

Highly under priced when you consider how much they were selling in Spencer’s site not so long ago.

1 hour ago, Matches_Malone said:

Highly under priced when you consider how much they were selling in Spencer’s site not so long ago.

Oh really? I dont visit his website much. Do you recall what the asking prices were?

Thanks!

On 2018-04-09 at 7:36 PM, Khazano said:

Funny thing is, those covers were all 8k before Greg released a bunch of his artwork for sale a few years ago. Spencer raised the price in response to that. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20130322065314/http://theartistschoice.com/miki.html#SPAWN

Hi all:

Just to set the facts straight on this topic, the prices were raised at Greg Capullo’s request, and not by Danny or Spencer.

So, I started reading the Snyder/Capullo Batman run in late 2017, and finally finished all ten TPB volumes today. 

As I noted in the Felix Comic Art thread back in January (after having only read the first two TPBs), I was enjoying the run immensely, even if I didn't think, at this stage of telling Batman stories, that it was going to have the kind of impact and staying power as the great Batman arcs from the 1980s when the character enjoyed a powerful renaissance through the storytelling of Frank Miller, Alan Moore, Jim Starlin, etc.  I also thoroughly enjoyed, later on, "The Long Halloween" (a masterpiece) and "Dark Victory" (also excellent), both of which I thought were superior to Loeb's later "Hush" effort (even if the Lee/Williams artwork for "Hush" is rightly regarded as the pinnacle of their artistic collaboration).  

Well, the bad news is that, after two exceptional outings with "The Court of Owls" and "The City of Owls", the Snyder/Capullo run takes a big drop off with the third trade (still good, but nothing compared to the first two volumes), and then it quickly spirals into some of the worst Batman stories I have ever read after that.  I mean, "Zero Year" was just awful, a real chore to get through; "Endgame" was also pretty terrible, and then the two-volume "Superheavy"...OMFG, don't even get me started on how bad this was.  The "filler" volumes (#6 and #10) which feature the in-between stories (not all by Snyder/Capullo) were definitely the best parts of the run after the first two or three volumes.  I'm pretty sure the throwaway story "Gotham Is..." from the Epilogue (vol. 10) TPB is the best Snyder/Capullo material since volume 2, because the in-between stuff...gaaaaaaaaaaaaah.  To keep it spoiler-free, my gripes include:  just plain bad ideas made worse by Snyder shooting to create huge epics and groundbreaking new directions (nearly all fall flat after the first two volumes); Batman seemingly having Superman powers with the amount of bullets and punishment he takes (not to mention Gordon withstanding like 2000 degrees of heat, if briefly, in the last story arc...give me a break); constantly getting deja vu from seeing so many ideas recycled from other sources; so much of the later story arcs just seeming to repudiate so much of Batman's history and essence (in fact, Batman himself is repudiated for a while...I'll leave that intentionally vague for those who haven't read "Superheavy"); the Mr. Bloom villain was beyond terrible (as was what they did with Batman post-"Endgame"), etc. etc.  

As for the art, I thought Capullo's art looked so fresh and exciting in the first couple of volumes.  And, he has his moments after that, but, generally speaking, it was really tough to disentangle the quality of the art from just how bad the stories got with each successive volume.  And, after a while, it just got a bit old hat; it is pleasant enough, but stopped grabbing my attention after the first few volumes.  Maybe because there's no real edge to it; it just looks nice to look at.  Towards the end, I was much more interested in the stories drawn by Jock, Sean Murphy, Riley Rossmo and especially Mikel Janin (who only drew one issue in the 10 TPBs, but, whose art I might have liked the most of all).  I also looked more forward to reading the James Tynion IV entries that Snyder's towards the end.  

In the end, I don't think any of it will have the long-term impact of the classic arcs referenced above, though, "The Court of Owls" and "The City of Owls" are certainly among the best, if not the best, Batman stories of the past 15 years.  It's just a shame that the rest of the run ranges between "merely good" and "putridly awful". :sorry: 

Looking forward to starting the Tom King-scripted trades next - I have high hopes after the excellent work he did on The Vision and The Sheriff of Babylon. :wishluck: 

Interesting opinion. I also believe Court of Owls is far and away the best of the bunch, but I really enjoyed the entirety of the run.

Surprised you liked Janin’s artwork best. I find it very clinical. Statuesque 3D-like models that look very unnatural (think: ragdoll mannequins), coloured a bit garishly, a constant and comically exaggerated frown on Batman, etc. Over the greats of today like Capullo, Jock, and Murphy, that’s a first to hear. 

Personal preference is a great component of the hobby, though! Kudos to Janin, he is still talented, like any other artist working for the big two, and I wish him the best.

I look forward to your thoughts on King’s run. I’ve read until the end of Jokes and Riddles, and my sentiments towards it mirror yours for the later Capullo/Snyder stories. I’ve read a lot of Batman, and for me, it’s absolutely my least favourite of anything I’ve read, which is why I have no art from it. Hoping they “reboot” it soon, but I’m glad the majority seems to be enjoying it.

The king run hits a great stride after i am gotham.  The recent series with catwoman has been particularly good.  Janins artwork in the series is very well done.

Snyders court was far and away the strongest of his run.  I agree some of the other books were a bit tough to get through were it not for capullos art.

2 hours ago, Mr. Machismo said:

Interesting opinion. I also believe Court of Owls is far and away the best of the bunch, but I really enjoyed the entirety of the run.

Surprised you liked Janin’s artwork best. I find it very clinical. Statuesque 3D-like models that look very unnatural (think: ragdoll mannequins), coloured a bit garishly, a constant and comically exaggerated frown on Batman, etc. Over the greats of today like Capullo, Jock, and Murphy, that’s a first to hear. 

Personal preference is a great component of the hobby, though! Kudos to Janin, he is still talented, like any other artist working for the big two, and I wish him the best.

I look forward to your thoughts on King’s run. I’ve read until the end of Jokes and Riddles, and my sentiments towards it mirror yours for the later Capullo/Snyder stories. I’ve read a lot of Batman, and for me, it’s absolutely my least favourite of anything I’ve read, which is why I have no art from it. Hoping they “reboot” it soon, but I’m glad the majority seems to be enjoying it.

So, IIRC, Jock, Murphy, Rossmo and Janin each drew one issue that appeared in the 10 Capullo/Snyder trades, so, I'm basing my opinion there on a limited sample size.  It's entirely possible that, after reading/seeing more of their work, my preferences could change, as there were aspects of all of their art that I enjoyed.  

I'm waiting for Murphy's White Knight to come out in trade before reading it.  Any suggestions on what to read for the best of Jock on Batman/Tec/etc.?  

37 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

So, IIRC, Jock, Murphy, Rossmo and Janin each drew one issue that appeared in the 10 Capullo/Snyder trades, so, I'm basing my opinion there on a limited sample size.  It's entirely possible that, after reading/seeing more of their work, my preferences could change, as there were aspects of all of their art that I enjoyed.  

I'm waiting for Murphy's White Knight to come out in trade before reading it.  Any suggestions on what to read for the best of Jock on Batman/Tec/etc.?  

White Knight was OK. I like the art. But they story wasn’t that great, IMHO. It was like a bad Christopher Nolan movie. 

6 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Well, the bad news is that, after two exceptional outings with "The Court of Owls" and "The City of Owls", the Snyder/Capullo run takes a big drop off with the third trade (still good, but nothing compared to the first two volumes), and then it quickly spirals into some of the worst Batman stories I have ever read after that. 

The stories really suffer when consumed in TPB form and multiple volumes at a sitting. The later stories suffer in the comparison to the the first two volumes for sure.

I felt exactly as you did, because that is how I consumed the stories. I bought the first 4 TPBs and read them all at once....1 and 2 were like "WOW", but it plummeted for me after that point.