• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greg Capullo Original Art?
2 2

181 posts in this topic

Much to the dismay of guys like me who would absolutely love to get a page from Hush - maybe someday :)

I feel that the Loeb/Lee/Williams/Sinclair "HUSH" is going to be looked upon as one of the most classic storylines of Batman and comics in general, where the prices will keep on going up since it seems rare to find pieces available in the market for sale and most are in private collections of fans who love 'em.

In that, I'd personally rather have a Hush panel page over any Capullo cover any day because the artwork means more to me than being just an aesthetic pin-up of sort. It's one of the finest examples of great storytelling.

I only wish I'd gotten into buying artwork when Albert Moy had pages available years ago.

The last Comic Link auctions of last year had a couple Jim Lee Hush pages in them I think. Maybe I'm wrong.

Much to the dismay of guys like me who would absolutely love to get a page from Hush - maybe someday :)

I feel that the Loeb/Lee/Williams/Sinclair "HUSH" is going to be looked upon as one of the most classic storylines of Batman and comics in general, where the prices will keep on going up since it seems rare to find pieces available in the market for sale and most are in private collections of fans who love 'em.

In that, I'd personally rather have a Hush panel page over any Capullo cover any day because the artwork means more to me than being just an aesthetic pin-up of sort. It's one of the finest examples of great storytelling.

I only wish I'd gotten into buying artwork when Albert Moy had pages available years ago.

The last Comic Link auctions of last year had a couple Jim Lee Hush pages in them I think. Maybe I'm wrong.

Hush pages have come up from time to time, and Jim Lee himself has very recently been selling some outstanding pages from his collection on Heritage. I believe the next Heritage auction has a couple Batman/Superman fight pages.

Scott

Sure, he doesn't care. Or he postures that way. Who knows? None of us are in his head.

I think you took my statement the wrong way. To me it sounds like Greg is like BWS, Miller, and McFarlane. I'm not saying he is as well off as all of them but it seems that they don't need the money. Thus, they aren't driven to put pages out there for the OA market place.

That's exactly how I took it. And my remark wasn't the usual sarcastic "sure" but simple agreement.

Hush pages have come up from time to time, and Jim Lee himself has very recently been selling some outstanding pages from his collection on Heritage. I believe the next Heritage auction has a couple Batman/Superman fight pages.

Scott

Yes, I followed the most recent Heritage Auction closely and tried to bid on several of the pages - but it all went out of my range (which is on the low end for the OA world). I agree it's iconic work by all 3 artists. I have been able to get a panel page each from Albert using some time payments from their work on Justice League, Unchained, and Batman Europa over the last several years. Someday Hush may be realistic for me but it's probably a race between value growth and my own savings rate.

Someday Hush may be realistic for me but it's probably a race between value growth and my own savings rate.

Hopefully in theory you buy stuff today that goes up at a faster pace than the Hush pages and are maybe able to trade up to one or sell off certain pieces to then buy a Hush piece where your cost basis is lower than the actual sticker price.

I feel the same way about certain art which is beyond the realm of affordability as far as market value to willingness to spend cash. I categorize Byrne Uncanny X-Men; Miller Daredevil; McFarlane Spider-Man; Ditko Spider-Man; almost anything Jack Kirby and a few other runs in that realm. I'd sell/trade 'tho to secure some pieces, so hoping to do "upgrades" in the future that way.

He may end up one of those "he who dies with the most toys, wins!" stack of unsold art as the marketplace may be unwilling to pay what he wants, but at least he's maintaining rate integrity and for those who end up taking that leap of faith and paying the asking price, hopefully there's never a future fire sale where he drops prices and market values adjust downward.

The crazier the prices the more likely that whoever buys now at the asking price will be eventually burned, but as you said best of luck to anyone who decides to jump into the water.

At ~30K for 50 issues worth of covers, I can't imagine it being optimal to just sit on everything. Heck, I'd pay 15K for a few covers, which is Jim Lee pricing. I can't help but believe he's just going to sit on these for decades. From an investment standpoint, it would be far more lucrative for him to sell some and invest those earnings. He's taking a huge gamble on the long-term hype and market for his run, which he is seemingly dismissing at it's peak.

If Greg is turning down 10-15k for Batman covers, wow. I guess he wants what he wants but he's done so much artwork over the years that it seems crazy to set 30k and up as a price point. what does that mean, 2k filler pages? I think He's basically locking out 99% or more of the people who would be in the market for his work.

I love Greg and as popular as his batman seems to be I don't know that it's reached Hush or ASBAR proportions with fans or that he has reached or passed Jim lee's popularity over the last 15 years. Hush still seems to be the barometer for 21 century artist driven comic book popularity

Edited by Koa

FYI. I've discovered a lot about Capullo pages recently. The SPLASHES are 10-15K and sequential are 2-3K. Non negotiable and payment by PayPal Friends and Family.

I'll share more when I get a minute. Ended up grabbing a page as it was a key moment in Court of Owls...

He may end up one of those "he who dies with the most toys, wins!" stack of unsold art as the marketplace may be unwilling to pay what he wants, but at least he's maintaining rate integrity and for those who end up taking that leap of faith and paying the asking price, hopefully there's never a future fire sale where he drops prices and market values adjust downward.

The crazier the prices the more likely that whoever buys now at the asking price will be eventually burned, but as you said best of luck to anyone who decides to jump into the water.

At ~30K for 50 issues worth of covers, I can't imagine it being optimal to just sit on everything. Heck, I'd pay 15K for a few covers, which is Jim Lee pricing. I can't help but believe he's just going to sit on these for decades. From an investment standpoint, it would be far more lucrative for him to sell some and invest those earnings. He's taking a huge gamble on the long-term hype and market for his run, which he is seemingly dismissing at it's peak.

If Greg is turning down 10-15k for Batman covers, wow. I guess he wants what he wants but he's done so much artwork over the years that it seems crazy to set 30k and up as a price point. what does that mean, 2k filler pages? I think He's basically locking out 99% or more of the people who would be in the market for his work.

I love Greg and as popular as his batman seems to be I don't know that it's reached Hush or ASBAR proportions with fans or that he has reached or passed Jim lee's popularity over the last 15 years. Hush still seems to be the barometer for 21 century artist driven comic book popularity

That's if he wants to sell them. Maybe he just doesn't want to sell them.

That's if he wants to sell them. Maybe he just doesn't want to sell them.

You could be right. I can only go by what greg has stated on twitter over the past couple years, that he was going to sell his artwork. He also made a website to do just that. Danny Miki's rep the artists choice has a section for Batman art by he and capullo set up, although it's empty last i checked. Guns n roses have put together a reunion tour in less time it's taken Capullo to put some art up for sale on his website

Edited by Koa

FYI. I've discovered a lot about Capullo pages recently. The SPLASHES are 10-15K and sequential are 2-3K. Non negotiable and payment by PayPal Friends and Family.

I'll share more when I get a minute. Ended up grabbing a page as it was a key moment in Court of Owls...

Indeed F&F pricing if I ever saw one... :tonofbricks:

If you already screw over your fans that much, how about at least show some decency and at least leave them with the protection of a business transaction?

Kyle, I don't know you and I'm not a fan of Capullo so I don't care about you enabling his crazy behavior, but keep some shred of dignity and common sense. If after taking so much of your money an artist still wants to nickel and dime the PayPal fees, then you're better off grossing them up for the fees and have the benefit and peace of mind of the PayPal buyer protection (which is more important the higher the stakes and the crazier the artist).

And I apologize for saying it, but if you're an EBeaner as I suspect, you should have already learned that you can't -- and sometime probably shouldn't -- have it all. I completely understand the excitement of starting to collect OA and the sense of having missed out on so much given how late into the party you are that you're trying to grab as much as you can so that you don't miss any more, but I seriously suggest you slow down, step back and take a breather or else you risk making very significant acquisitions that you'll end up truly regretting. Certainly in case like Capullo, where given his pricing I think it's a safe bet these pages will still be there in a couple of weeks or even a month.

Edited to add: And keep in mind, in the trajectory you're going, your next step is buying in auctions such as HA and Clink, where you'll end up paying even more money because you'll have to duke it out with other people, and some of these other people have dipper pockets (or entered into this hobby a while back ago such that they have other pieces they bought relatively cheaply and can use to trade up), and you may regret even more not having the money you spent right now (on what may be less important pieces in retrospect).

Edited by rotembk

Thank you, rotembk for the advice. I agree, I must put a break on any new acquisitions if the past few months of purchases are to be considered. This is a dangerous hobby that I must continue in moderation!

That said, your post makes a number of assumptions.

This is the piece I purchased: http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1285984

It is important to me as it signifies the first appearance of the new villain Talon from Court of Owls, which is my favorite Batman story of all time. It came at a hefty price, but it is a piece that holds deep historical and sentimental value to me, and I am quite happy with the purchase.

Regarding the splashes, I bluntly provided reasons as to why they are overpriced, borrowing the sentiments of numerous people here. That is when I was told they were non-negotiable, as 11 of the 20 pages they selected to sell sold at asking the first day of NYCC. I did not argue the price of the piece I purchased as I considered the price to be fair, given the first appearance.

EDIT: In response to your edit – after reading the sticky on those new to the hobby, I am also strongly of the opinion of saving one's money to finance future purchases that would be more greatly appreciated (easier said than done.) For this reason, I will no longer purchase convention sketches or pieces I am absolutely not in love with. There's just too much out there, and there will always be another piece—there is no reason that I must have any given one of them.

Edited by Mr. Machismo

That's a fantastic page. I've always thought Capullo's art in raw form is quite a bit better than the published, colored work. I don't know why, but while some work is really enhanced by colorists (big fan of Alex Sinclair's work), Capullo's seems to really pop without it.

Guns n roses have put together a reunion tour in less time it's taken Capullo to put some art up for sale on his website

Please don't jinx the reunion :wishluck:

Seriously though, this whole reunion is surreal. After a 20 year blood feud Axl and Slash become facebook friends and set up a tour in less than a year and still no Image united #4. I keep waiting for them to be like April fools, fool

Edited by Koa

Congrats on the page. Capullos run on batman has been and will be regarded amongst the best on that character.

What's an ebeaner?

EB is the CAF+CGC forums equivalent for collectors of screen prints (gigposters, movie posters, fine art and street art prints, etc.) and pop-art.

Thank you, rotembk for the advice. I agree, I must put a break on any new acquisitions if the past few months of purchases are to be considered. This is a dangerous hobby that I must continue in moderation!

This is the piece I purchased: http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1285984

It is important to me as it signifies the first appearance of the new villain Talon from Court of Owls, which is my favorite Batman story of all time. It came at a hefty price, but it is a piece that holds deep historical and sentimental value to me, and I am quite happy with the purchase.

Did you get both the page that's just pencils AND the page that's just blueline inks?

I am hoping you got it all in one package.

Did you get both the page that's just pencils AND the page that's just blueline inks?

He should. When I last spoke with Glapion about it, they were only being sold together. Never separate.

Yes, both. Sold as a set. Just don't have an image of the pencils yet.

I wonder why greg doesn't introduce his work to the market via an auction house. I think a careful selection at a well promoted auction would set a market value where his work could be priced in a way, even if it was high that wouldn't seem absurd to the average collector.