• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greg Capullo Original Art?
2 2

181 posts in this topic

Any thoughts as to how much an acceptable offer might be for a full New 52 Batman issue (cover, plus pencils for all interiors, plus inked pages for all interiors)?

With plenty of sales data for older pieces or for current books with a history of selling pages like Walking Dead, I am still struggling as to whether those are good comparatives in figuring out how to price a full issue of a Snyder/Capullo/Glapion Batman.

If I was guessing, and this would be to buy-to-keep and not for trying to profit by breaking it up for resale, I would peg $6k for the cover, an average of $650 a page for the pencils ($16.9k for 26 pages) using an average price for all pages on TWD #107 as a guess-timate, and $300 for the inks on blueline ($7.8k)? So $30,700 total for the whole book...is that way off?

Would love to hear a) this is too high or low, and why or b) if there has been an actual recent sale of an entire Snyder/Capullo Batman book. DOTF would be a premium to any of the Court of Owls books...thoughts on how much that premium might be?

Thanks! Likely this is just an academic exercise, but it might become a goal.

Bob

Any thoughts as to how much an acceptable offer might be for a full New 52 Batman issue (cover, plus pencils for all interiors, plus inked pages for all interiors)?

With plenty of sales data for older pieces or for current books with a history of selling pages like Walking Dead, I am still struggling as to whether those are good comparatives in figuring out how to price a full issue of a Snyder/Capullo/Glapion Batman.

If I was guessing, and this would be to buy-to-keep and not for trying to profit by breaking it up for resale, I would peg $6k for the cover, an average of $650 a page for the pencils ($16.9k for 26 pages) using an average price for all pages on TWD #107 as a guess-timate, and $300 for the inks on blueline ($7.8k)? So $30,700 total for the whole book...is that way off?

Would love to hear a) this is too high or low, and why or b) if there has been an actual recent sale of an entire Snyder/Capullo Batman book. DOTF would be a premium to any of the Court of Owls books...thoughts on how much that premium might be?

Thanks! Likely this is just an academic exercise, but it might become a goal.

Bob

I think you're probably pretty close on interiors but who knows. greg or jon aren't telling anyone what their price is. I love Greg's work and he can do what he wants but I'm disappointed by how he is handling things I wouldn't go near this stuff. They are really holding fans over a barrel and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Edited by KingKoa

A really nice Greg Capullo all-out action X-Force cover featuring the X-Men (with prominent Wolverine and Gambit images) just sold on Heritage for $4,780. Now, I don't know what Greg has been up to lately, but I suspect that anyone contemplating paying $30K+ for a complete issue published recently ought to have their head examined. You can get complete issues of books from the '70s, '80s and '90s that people actually care about, with word balloons and non-decompressed storylines, for less than that.

It didn't have the cover, but the complete Daredevil #77 story (featuring Spider-Man to boot) by Colan and Palmer sold for $22.7K just over a year ago on Heritage. I've seen complete stories of Daredevil, Punisher, Tomb of Dracula, etc. all priced well below even that level. Those John Romita Jr. complete stories have been fetching $5-7K for the most part on Heritage. Now, I'm not saying that what I collect rocks and what you collect sucks, but, I'm sorry, anyone who thinks $30K for Greg Capullo doing Batman sounds even within the realm of reasonability needs to get checked for mental illness. And if that's what Greg thinks his own work is worth, he needs to get checked as well. :screwy:

A really nice Greg Capullo all-out action X-Force cover featuring the X-Men (with prominent Wolverine and Gambit images) just sold on Heritage for $4,780. Now, I don't know what Greg has been up to lately, but I suspect that anyone contemplating paying $30K+ for a complete issue published recently ought to have their head examined. You can get complete issues of books from the '70s, '80s and '90s that people actually care about, with word balloons and non-decompressed storylines, for less than that.

It didn't have the cover, but the complete Daredevil #77 story (featuring Spider-Man to boot) by Colan and Palmer sold for $22.7K just over a year ago on Heritage. I've seen complete stories of Daredevil, Punisher, Tomb of Dracula, etc. all priced well below even that level. Those John Romita Jr. complete stories have been fetching $5-7K for the most part on Heritage. Now, I'm not saying that what I collect rocks and what you collect sucks, but, I'm sorry, anyone who thinks $30K for Greg Capullo doing Batman sounds even within the realm of reasonability needs to get checked for mental illness. And if that's what Greg thinks his own work is worth, he needs to get checked as well. :screwy:

I wouldn't call it reasonable but I would say it's in the realm of possibility that it's priced that way. Not that it would sell but who knows.

Edited by KingKoa

Absolutely agree about the head-examining. Much better ways for one person to spend $30k than on a book published five months ago!

Will be interesting to see what it takes for someone to pry one of the new Bats books (cover + 52 pages of inks/pencils) out of his hands; likely its an immediate break up for sale situation. Or if he actually breaks one up himself and sells some pages just to shut people up.

Since he put up the DOTF pencils on his website for all to see, they are tantalizingly close but so unavailable. Not unlike many things in this world...

Absolutely agree about the head-examining. Much better ways for one person to spend $30k than on a book published five months ago!

Will be interesting to see what it takes for someone to pry one of the new Bats books (cover + 52 pages of inks/pencils) out of his hands; likely its an immediate break up for sale situation. Or if he actually breaks one up himself and sells some pages just to shut people up.

Since he put up the DOTF pencils on his website for all to see, they are tantalizingly close but so unavailable. Not unlike many things in this world...

He sold 2 spawn books out of the 75 he drew. over 30k each. Don't know how much stuff his inkers sold, but I don't see much out there. Miki has a few covers over at the artists choice open for offer starting at 8k. Greg and his inkers appear to a black hole collectors of their own work :pullhair:

Edited by KingKoa

On twitter Greg has said he's selling his artwork now it seems by the page but doesn't respond to price/availability requests.Has anyone had any luck ?

On twitter Greg has said he's selling his artwork now it seems by the page but doesn't respond to price/availability requests.Has anyone had any luck ?

He responded to me once...a year and a half ago or so, when I asked the price on the Batman #1 cover. He responded with "$50k".

I'm not sure if you can call that "luck" on my part. lol

Covers are all Capullo apparently. I heard some Batman interiors were on sale at NYCC 2013 I believe, but never followed up after hearing they were $2K+. I don't find that hard to believe considering the $50K price tag on the Batman 1 cover.

I would not pay full market value. If I were to buy a complete issue, I would expect a discount.

Cheers!

N.

Neither will I, but I suspect what we expect and what Capullo expects are different lol

I don't consider Capullo, yet to rival Jim Lee in terms of art market value pricing, but different strokes for different folks.

Capullo may be the ultimate businessman and marketing genius by limiting the supply and controlling the inventory and pricing it to the level he wants to cultivate the ongoing values at.

Personally, I'd think interiors should be in the $500 range and covers in the $2-5k range and $8-12k if a truly remarkable cover. But that's just my opinion.

Personally, I'd think interiors should be in the $500 range and covers in the $2-5k range and $8-12k if a truly remarkable cover. But that's just my opinion.

I'm sure you were being serious when you wrote this, but I have to ask: have you seen any pricing on any new artwork from any creator lately? Some new guy on a new, creator owned title would go for 65% of those values.

This is Capullo on Batman we are talking about. Whether you like the work or not, there is such an appetite for the work that he'd be choosing to lose massive amounts of money at those prices. The secondary market would make more profit that Capullo himself, if your prices were his prices.

At least double everything, then you would be closer to what the market would support. But that price would still be low.

He responded to me once...a year and a half ago or so, when I asked the price on the Batman #1 cover. He responded with "$50k".

I'm not sure if you can call that "luck" on my part. lol

That's complete insanity.

I don't consider Capullo, yet to rival Jim Lee in terms of art market value pricing, but different strokes for different folks.

Capullo is not Jim lee level in terms of name recognition and commercial appeal of his artwork but has anyone entered comics since has? Jim lee was one of the last artists to achieve "rock star" status among fans and has maintained it relative to the comic book marketplace.

So, for his art, from what it sounds like the originals are in 2 versions.

Pencils Only

Inks over Bluelined Pencils

?

Glapion inked on Bluelines but Miki is inking over Capullo's pencils. I'd much rather have the Miki inked pages

I'm sure you were being serious when you wrote this, but I have to ask: have you seen any pricing on any new artwork from any creator lately? Some new guy on a new, creator owned title would go for 65% of those values.

This is Capullo on Batman we are talking about. Whether you like the work or not, there is such an appetite for the work that he'd be choosing to lose massive amounts of money at those prices. The secondary market would make more profit that Capullo himself, if your prices were his prices.

At least double everything, then you would be closer to what the market would support. But that price would still be low.

I do think that some Spawn covers, inked or finished by mcfarlane could justify Jim Lee cover prices of 10k plus.

I've seen some Spawn covers inked by Miki sell for 5-10k. Or at least that was the listed price at dealers before the sold sign went up. of course that doesn't mean they sold for that price.

It'll be interesting to see where the Batman art is priced. I've been a big supporter of capullo since his early days on Spawn but the batman stuff doesn't have many splash pages which is where many of the popular 21st century artist price higher. Even when Capullo gets the chance for splashy imagery he tends to go for the storytelling shot which works great reading the books. i would pay more than what Rick's estimates but not the insane prices that have been quoted so far.

Edited by Koa