• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice on a Detective Comics #31 Coverless

49 posts in this topic

I know it's a long shot to hell, but do just the covers of pre-Robin TECS ever come up for sale anywhere? I have this dream that one day I'll find a real cover for my TEC #29....... :insane:

Get in line cause if i ever see one im paying stupid money for it lol

Well if you get a full cover I'll gladly take your 3/4 cover off your hands! :headbang:

I can take the cover off my copy and sell to you for $25k :grin:

I said stupid money so ill give you 30K

PM sent :insane:

I have had several copies of tec 29 over the years 3 coverless 1 that needed a centerfold at one point. There was a period where I wasn't actively collectiong, but I have never seen covers to these early books. It is possible you could marry a back cover from another DC book from that date if you can confirm it is exactly the same.

I do see batman one covers often, I think this is because the back cover it a pin up and hence the covers were torn a lot, this is also why you see so many copies missing back covers.

I think it is far more likely to find a copy missing a centerfold then just the loose covers.

James G

I have had several copies of tec 29 over the years 3 coverless 1 that needed a centerfold at one point. There was a period where I wasn't actively collectiong, but I have never seen covers to these early books. It is possible you could marry a back cover from another DC book from that date if you can confirm it is exactly the same.

I do see batman one covers often, I think this is because the back cover it a pin up and hence the covers were torn a lot, this is also why you see so many copies missing back covers.

I think it is far more likely to find a copy missing a centerfold then just the loose covers.

James G

Below are links to two recently ended auctions for covers to "early books." The Tec 28 auction was in reality a sale for the covers because the insides were married with rubbishy interiors from eBay almost as an afterthought.

Tec-37-ebay

Tec-28-CC

I think a Tec 36 cover from eBay went to a boardie about a year ago. I won a Tec 35 cover myself. You're probably correct about the Bat 1 back cover, a lot were saved, but a loose front cover rarely shows up for sale.

Early loose covers can be as rare as hen's teeth but they do show up. (thumbs u

I am sure Filmoplast is available in the U.S., but it would have to be special ordered and only through a select stationery or library supply house. I don't use Filmoplast myself because of the fixed widths, and the mechanical stress on large and brittle paper. Also there has been some reported quality control issues where the tape was tested to be acidic (possibly from the tape's backing over time) when it was supposed to be acid-free; this would make me leery of using the product.

@rockman2008: Thank you. Do you know if there are Filmoplast equivalents?

I find too complicate to buy fitting paper and/or find fitting glue to repair such small – but crucial – points, like tears, in some cases spine splits etc.

Although fixed width may be annoying, I cut the pieces I need with a cutter, so I just waste part of the tape.

Filmoplast, however, works better on certain kind of paper. Comic books' paper doesn’t seem more delicate than many italian publications of the era, but it seems it is, in a way.

In general, I can say Filmoplast can be used if you do not plan to remove it aftewards. If the paper is not too light (in color) and if properly applied, it’s really nice for reparations, although I would not generally use it to repair tears running within the artwork, just on the white or text areas of the insides.

I apologize for spamming the Detective #31 thread, I should have opened a separate discussion. :)

To the OP, have you decided whether you're going to get a reproduction cover or not? Fedoraman could hook you up with a nice looking repro, he made the cover for my #29.

I got one from him as well its amazing

To the OP, have you decided whether you're going to get a reproduction cover or not? Fedoraman could hook you up with a nice looking repro, he made the cover for my #29.

Did you ever get a quote to see how much it would cost to restore your TEC cover? I have a Amazing Fantasy #15 in a similar 3/4 state that is going to be restored, so it is possible to fix that type of missing piece.

Did you ever get a quote to see how much it would cost to restore your TEC cover? I have a Amazing Fantasy #15 in a similar 3/4 state that is going to be restored, so it is possible to fix that type of missing piece.

Yup I believe i talked to the same person who has yours h

It can def be done just deciding if I should.