• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bound Volumes of Comics

46 posts in this topic

Yep, love me my custom bound library sitting all pretty on my bookshelf. You can get really creative with creating your own personal book collection. I've added articles and reviews and pictures into my volumes, even my own Forewords telling why these titles mean so much to me....

:o Fantastic job!

Thanks! It really is quite a fun process, though it takes a little trust and a lot of patience. But in the end, it can be very rewarding. Now I have personally designed books that I expect I'll be able to hand down for generations. Not to mention it frees up some room in my long boxes and gets the comics back out breathing in the open again for me to enjoy. :cloud9:

Are they stitched? How was the gutter loss? Did you choose the bonded material around the spine to avoid cracking? The books look absolutely perfect, great job. I really can't wait to get a few done

Did them through David Banks (singleboundstudios.com), who's absolutely wonderful to help guide you through the process. I always use the art-on-cover option through Capitol Bindery. The binder, Kevin, is a master of the craft. A perfectionist in every aspect. But it's also MUCH more costly than most other bindery options through David or elsewhere. Then again, I get all the bells and whistles. My attitude has always been, if I'm gonna do this, then I'm gonna go all out because I've only got one shot to get it right! The books are sewn. The gutter loss is minimal, if even noticeable. The trimming is also well done and barely, if at all, noticeable to me. If Kevin thinks something will be a problem, he'll notify David to ask the customer about it first. The spine material is buckram (I think), and you can choose from many different colors. I prefer black with silver lettering & die-stamps as the standard for my bookshelf. David can design you covers, tables of content, endsheets, etc. Really, the only downside (other than cost) is the wait, which current seems to be 3-12 months, depending on the backlog and the specific project. I've had some projects in since last Sept or Oct, and am still waiting. Guess that shows how popular they are with David and Kevin! :pullhair:

The guy I go through is much like this also. They are sewn together and I can get all of the same choices. I am going to start sending down my thicker graphic novels and trades to have them done in hardbound where they turn your existing cover into a hardbound cover. They are in California and it costs me only $17.50 to get them done in black with gold letting. The next process will only cost me around $2.00 more. I get my books done in under 2 months and I have 8-12 done at a time. When done they ship out on Fridays and I usually will get them the next Tuesday. Check out their website in my sig line to see the work that they can do.

Did them through David Banks (singleboundstudios.com), who's absolutely wonderful to help guide you through the process. I always use the art-on-cover option through Capitol Bindery. The binder, Kevin, is a master of the craft. A perfectionist in every aspect.

David is a prince among men when it comes to binding projects!

He makes me miss the old Library Binding in Waco texas... great customer support, before they got bought out and the new bigger bindry took forever to figure out the comic binding part of their business...

I remember seeing those Cavewoman binds show up on the singlebound site... and then hunting down more Budd Root art!

Im always a fan of finding local solutions so you can a) develop a face to face relationship with the binder and b)save on shipping costs... just makes it easier to do the "slow trickle" of projects vs big batches all at once...

Lots of cool Bound items in this thread! (thumbs u

Im a Doc Savage fan, and here is the Doc Savage Showcase Hard Bound by Fantom Press. It is limited to 26 lettered copies and 5 contributor copies. Each copy includes original sketches by Tony Dezuniga, Val Mayerik and Ernie Chan. Along with the Sketches it has an autograph by writer Doug Moench.

I was lucky enough to have been able to aquire Ermie Chans contributor copy.

014-1.jpg

013-2.jpg

012-2.jpg

011-2.jpg

Also by Fantom Press, this bound volume compiles the complete First Wave and Doc Savage Series put out by DC. It also is limited to 26 lettered copies, but only 4 contributor copies. Whats insane about it is it includes signatures of every contributor, a total of 24. Aquiring all 24 sigs was a nightmare for Terry, and he swore "never again"! The guy was a Basket Case at the end of this project!

023.jpg

022.jpg

021.jpg

020.jpg

019-1.jpg

018-1.jpg

017-1.jpg

016-1.jpg

Has anyone here had a presentation binding for CGC holder created? A slipcase would be nice also. Just asking because I can't seem to find anything on the web to show off and store CGC book in a more elegant way.

I am new to CGC collecting and kinda assumed someone had created a nice presentation holder for them.

Thanks all.