• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bound Volumes of Comics

46 posts in this topic

I saw this on eBay and have seen similar listings before:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230780292489?redirect=mobile

Why would someone want to bind their comics into a volume like this? It destroys the comics in a way, as you can never have the original comic again. Was this something people used to do before things like Marvel Masterworks came onto the market? Has anyone here ever done this? Seems strange to me.

I have a friend who does this with all of his comic books. He has quite an extensive collection. His wedding gift to me was a bound set of Popeye comics. Which I lost in our fire of course.

To me I like seeing the covers on display. But the bound editions store nicely on a bookshelf.

But He enjoys collecting as much of a series as possible and then having them professionally bound. Just his thing I guess?

I mean some folks only collect slabbed comics. Some people only collect raw issues. Some folks like to have them restored..

I guess to each his /or her own.

Seems like bound volumes were more popular before the collectibles market exploded and made individual issues so valuable.

The worst is when the binding process involves trimming the comics. Seems to me the answer is to use a larger book size, not trim the issues. The plus side of bound volumes is that the comic covers seem to preserve very well due to lack of surface exposure and de-facto pressing. The downside is acidification.

A couple years ago I picked up one of Russ Cochran's personal bound volumes of EC's Crime SuspenStories. He had the full run placed in two bound volumes. I have the 2nd volume, which has the more notorious issues (such as #22). The covers and comics are all in terrific shape, but I found it necessary to place microchamber paper at regular intervals throughout the volume (esp. behind covers and back covers) to preserve the paper.

That same Russ Cochran set included a nice run of all the Crypt of Terror and Tales From the Crypt issues. Somebody snagged that volume for much less than it's worth and I'm still kicking myself for not bidding when it originally found its way to eBay auctions. The current owner is selling the volume right now on eBay with a starting bid much closer to what the book should be worth.

When browsing books at estate sales and the like, one dreams of finding a bound volume that has been mistaken for a boring reference book. Imagine looking through a stack of encyclopedias and finding a bound run of early Action Comics.

There was a big group of us who started binding comics maybe 7-8 years ago (we were all listening to the same podcast, and were on the same message board and someone discovered a book bindery who put a nice deal out there for us to use to bind comics).

Why bind?

1. No other available collected edition of a book. Some books either arent popular enough for there to be a trade, or its oddball stuff, or there are legalities making trades not possible. So you can have your own books bound!

2. Easy reading. Ignoring slabs (which cant be read) its far easier to pull a book off the book shelf and read thru 30 issues of a title versus pulling out a long box (if you can get to it and its not in storage) pulling 30 individual issues out of their bags and boards, dealing with the tape, etc... and then getting to read them (and then having to rebag and box them!). These books were made for reading, so they should be read!

3. You want a collection a certain way. I really enjoyed Morrison's DC 1 Million event. There was a trade of it, but it only had the 4 issue mini and a few of the crossovers. Instead I came up with my own one of a kind bind that has the 28 key issues of the book put together in a logical reading fashion! I am also collecting a "Marvel Continuity" collection that runs from Civil War to present day... with every book that I think feeds into the general Marvel/Avengers continuity...

4. More books in your bind! Why pay $25 for a 6 issue Marvel Premier HC, when you can bind 30 issues into a collection for the same ammount (granted you also paid for the original singles, but its still a great deal for a book with 30 issues in it. its like an omnibus (though not oversized).

hmmm more thoughts to come...

Here's a random smattering of some of my binds:

IMG_5029.jpg

Yup, made my own custom Dust Jackets for these.

IMG_5034.jpg

Here's a shelf full of mutilated comic books:

IMG_3309.jpg

Before DC put out their Starman collection I had mine done...

Books005.jpg

compelte with Table of Contents

Books008.jpg

Think there's gonna be an Atari Force Omnibus?

IMG_1964.jpg

And I got tired of waiting for a DC Who's Who collection so....

IMG_1961.jpg

From our vantage point here in 2012, seeing a nice bunch of pre-code EC or GA Superman's bound up makes us cringe. However, you have to remember that back when those were bound, comics were a throw away entertainment item. I'm sure almost no one thought they'd be worth what they are today.

but back to the original posters comment, I agree it is crazy to think that someone would destroy rare, older comics in this day and age.

probably the most expensive modern binding project I've seen done was a full bind of Miracleman, which was pricey.

As someone else said, modern & bronze stuff is readily available out there, and the value is low enough so that its not to painful to bind...

Also I typically bind books of an Fn/VF grade, so they arent all that collectable.

People also use reprints of particular high cost issues in their binds (I've seen this with Wolverine, Hulk, Spidey, etc) to avoid the collection costing to much... the point is to read the books, not go broke!

From our vantage point here in 2012, seeing a nice bunch of pre-code EC or GA Superman's bound up makes us cringe. However, you have to remember that back when those were bound, comics were a throw away entertainment item. I'm sure almost no one thought they'd be worth what they are today.

in Japan they are still meant to be thrown away...

IMG_5029.jpg

Yup, made my own custom Dust Jackets for these.

Wow, that's actually very cool. I only had seen ones that were bound to look like old reference books.

I like the idea. Maybe not for vintage books, but definitely for the modern stuff which has no collector's value anyway. Certainly better than waiting for the trades to come out.

Here's a shelf full of mutilated comic books:

IMG_3309.jpg

Thats just sweet, I could definitely have me some of these.

I have a few bound pulps that I bought but nothing as cool as this.

:applause:

how does one go about getting their books bound? Just curious.

there are quite a few bookbinders around the country that have experience binding comic books...

here are a couple of the main message boards that have binding communities:

Uncollected Editions Message Board

here are two of the main binderies used:

Houchen

DP Banks Single Bound Studio

Since shipping costs (both ways) affects your total spend you might want to call local binderies (look up book binders online in your area) and ask if they have done any binding of comic books. Dropping off and picking up hundreds of comics is way cheaper than shipping. IN your area Distinctive Book Binding looks like a good candidate to call...

I researching this right now. Pretty sure I want it done. Just not sure if I want the bonded leather or the printed cover. If I choose the printed cover I'll need to have someone make me a cover since I don't know how. I also have to make sure the cover won't crack along the spine when I open it if I choose that. Theres a few things I need to research regarding the actual binding too. Other than that I can't wait to have the Walking Dead compendium in HC, and a full set of Elfquest in mag sized black and white, possibly with dust jacket.

I wouldn't do it with a valuable comic. Most comics are not valuable though and there are plenty of nice runs that can be done for a dollar per comic or less.

I have around 100 bound books and just sent another 12 books to be bound. They only charge me $17.50 to have them done. They are very nice people and do a very good job. A link to them is in my sig line.

100_0672.jpg

100_0675.jpg

100_0678.jpg

books5.jpg

books8.jpg

books7-1.jpg

100_0572.jpg

100_0544.jpg

100_0540.jpg

100_0542.jpg

100_0536.jpg

how does one go about getting their books bound? Just curious.

or are you ask about the actual process used to prep your books for binding?

No, where to get them bound :) Which you answered in great detail. Thanks! Will have to contact that bindery in Rockville.