• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Long Beach Comic Expo May 12th

23 posts in this topic

I don't recall seeing anything regarding the Long Beach Comic Expo set for May 12th from 10-6:00. A smaller version of the fall Comic and Horror Convention.

http://www.longbeachcomiccon.com/comic-expo.php

I will be there with two full booths of GA, SA, Bronze and a little Copper. I am bringing around 20 long boxes of nice $1 books this year for the first time. Some great Bronze bargains for sure. Please let me know if you have any specific books you are looking for and I will do my best to pull and bring along.

Hope to see some of you there.

Ed Robertson

lol Ed you beat me to the punch. I was talking to Martha yesterday about posting her show. But here is the list of guests coming to the show.

George Acevedo

Gavin Andazola

David Arroyo

Eric Basuldua

Joe Benitez

Nick Blodgett

Jon Bolerjack

Brian Buccellato

Luis Calderon

Eric Canete

Denis Caron

Bernard Chang

George Chase

Acee Cruz

Bryant Dillon

Neo Edmund

Joshua Hale Flalkov

Douglas Freeman

Joel Gomez

Dan Goodsell

Clyde Grappa

Robert Harrington

Ray-Anthony Height

Vince Hernandez

Michael Hicks

Rebecca Hicks

Jessa Hinton

Tom Hodges

Shane Houghton

Nicholas Ivins

Georges Jeanty

Drew Johnson

Jean Kang

Chris Kawagina

Barbara Kesel

Ryan Kincaid

JT Krul

Kirk Kushin

Mindy Lee

Linda Lu

Dennis Mallonee

Jeff Martinez

Frank Mastromauro

Pepe Melan

Dan Mendoza

Jonboy Meyers

Craig Miller

Jacqueline Monroe

Mike Morris

Kip Mussatt

Marat Mychaels

Dustin Nguyen

Angus Oblong

Ryan Odagawa

Victor Olazaba

Alex Ortiz

Nathaniel Osollo

Norm Parmund

Peter Paul

Whilce Portacio

Norm Rapmund

Sam Rhodes

Jon Abe Rich

Mark Rivers

Andrew Robinson

Mark Roslan

Denise Saffren

Rosa Salvatierra

Lance Sawyer

Patrick Scullin

Nathan Seals

Beth Sotelo

Cat Staggs

Peter Steigerwald

Mike Tiscareno

Todd Tochioka

Jamie Tyndall

Rachel Walker

Joe Weems

Dale Wilson

Clint Wolf

Dawn Wolf

David Wong

Rachel Young

Blond

Zen

DWC will be offering CGC services at this event.

Lots more artists it seems than last year. Is it still going to be in the one tiny room at the convention or did they move it to a bigger room I hope.

I am not sure if they are in the same room or not. I will see what I can find out.

Ed R

Email reply from Phil Lawrence on this year's show:

We have about the same number of Exhibitors space-wise, about 25-30% new ones.

The room sold out, and we are busting out of the room into the Lobby for Artists and Fan Tables.

Same Convention Hall as last year but more exhibitors.

Hope that helps.

Ed R

lol Ed you beat me to the punch. I was talking to Martha yesterday about posting her show. But here is the list of guests coming to the show.

George Acevedo

Gavin Andazola

David Arroyo

Eric Basuldua

Joe Benitez

Nick Blodgett

Jon Bolerjack

Brian Buccellato

Luis Calderon

Eric Canete

Denis Caron

Bernard Chang

George Chase

Acee Cruz

Bryant Dillon

Neo Edmund

Joshua Hale Flalkov

Douglas Freeman

Joel Gomez

Dan Goodsell

Clyde Grappa

Robert Harrington

Ray-Anthony Height

Vince Hernandez

Michael Hicks

Rebecca Hicks

Jessa Hinton

Tom Hodges

Shane Houghton

Nicholas Ivins

Georges Jeanty

Drew Johnson

Jean Kang

Chris Kawagina

Barbara Kesel

Ryan Kincaid

JT Krul

Kirk Kushin

Mindy Lee

Linda Lu

Dennis Mallonee

Jeff Martinez

Frank Mastromauro

Pepe Melan

Dan Mendoza

Jonboy Meyers

Craig Miller

Jacqueline Monroe

Mike Morris

Kip Mussatt

Marat Mychaels

Dustin Nguyen

Angus Oblong

Ryan Odagawa

Victor Olazaba

Alex Ortiz

Nathaniel Osollo

Norm Parmund

Peter Paul

Whilce Portacio

Norm Rapmund

Sam Rhodes

Jon Abe Rich

Mark Rivers

Andrew Robinson

Mark Roslan

Denise Saffren

Rosa Salvatierra

Lance Sawyer

Patrick Scullin

Nathan Seals

Beth Sotelo

Cat Staggs

Peter Steigerwald

Mike Tiscareno

Todd Tochioka

Jamie Tyndall

Rachel Walker

Joe Weems

Dale Wilson

Clint Wolf

Dawn Wolf

David Wong

Rachel Young

Blond

Zen

DWC will be offering CGC services at this event.

Wow thats a long list! It looks like it could be a list of attendees at some other small shows.

Does anyone know if there is going to be a large amount of SA/GA high end dealers at this show or is it predominately geared toward the new artists and their work?

Just wanted to get an idea as I mainly collect GA/SA, but this show does sound like fun.

Does anyone know if there is going to be a large amount of SA/GA high end dealers at this show?

Robocard will be there. Probably Terry's Comics. That's about it for Golden Age.

Does anyone know if there is going to be a large amount of SA/GA high end dealers at this show?

Robocard will be there. Probably Terry's Comics. That's about it for Golden Age.

Thanks for the plug.

I will have around 60 long boxes plus 8-10 CGC/Magazine boxes of CGC and mylar books. I am going to mark 8 long boxes at half off: Horror, War, Western, Mystery, Sci-fi, Dell, TV, Movie and more from the 1950s-60s. Plus I will have at least two boxes each of Marvel and DC (mostly SA) for half off as well. I am looking to move these so please stop in and check out what I have to offer.

I will have some nice keys as well.

Ed R

A bit off the topic but this Sunday the Los Angeles Comic Book and Science Fiction Convention will be holding its 35th anniversary show at the Shrine Auditorium near USC. Will there be any SA/GA/BA dealers there? I would like to attend, but if only if comic dealers are present.

Thanks,

SLR

A bit off the topic but this Sunday the Los Angeles Comic Book and Science Fiction Convention will be holding its 35th anniversary show at the Shrine Auditorium near USC. Will there be any SA/GA/BA dealers there? I would like to attend, but if only if comic dealers are present.

Thanks,

SLR

The website does not list the exhibitors but it looks like the emphasis is on everything but comics. Maybe someone is more familiar with this one. I know Long Beach will have some nice books. :insane:

Ed

With the new booth and artists appearing just for the Expo, any chance the regular LBCC will add back in Friday next year? It's been a hectic year for Cons with massive overflow of attendees, would be cool for LBCC to add back in Friday after ending it last year.

My first time going was just on a Friday afternoon and being able to walk around freely and speak to the people and artists in the booths were cool.

With the new booth and artists appearing just for the Expo, any chance the regular LBCC will add back in Friday next year? It's been a hectic year for Cons with massive overflow of attendees, would be cool for LBCC to add back in Friday after ending it last year.

My first time going was just on a Friday afternoon and being able to walk around freely and speak to the people and artists in the booths were cool.

The promoters got a lot of grief from certain exhibitors about Friday (too many days, cost them more money, attendance was not great, blah, blah). I pushed pretty hard to keep it but to no avail so I don't think so for 2012. I am going to ask next week anyway as it makes sense to me.

Ed

The Long Beach Comic Con location I must say, has always been A+

The traffic, or lack-there-of to get there as opposed to Anaheim and Downtown LA is a non-issue.

The parking is reasonably priced, and is easy to get in/out of.

The food selection in the surrounding area is diverse and to me, has been one of the best to surround a convention that's walking distance.

The proximity to surrounding nightlife and major areas (right off the freeway up North to Santa Monica or Hollywood, or down South to Anaheim or Orange County) after the show is also good.

Overall, I used to really like Wizard World LA when it was in Long Beach, then after it left and went to the LA Convention Center then subsequently disappeared, I still thought the show was at its very best when it resided in Long Beach.

I'm glad to see this show at So Cal's finest venue!

The promoters got a lot of grief from certain exhibitors about Friday (too many days, cost them more money, attendance was not great, blah, blah). I pushed pretty hard to keep it but to no avail so I don't think so for 2012. I am going to ask next week anyway as it makes sense to me.

Ed

When I went on the Friday in 2010, it was pretty sparse and some artists did say it was slow, but it was LBCC's second showing only right? I think the show has become more established and if they can promote it like the recent Wonder Con in Anaheim then I don't see foot traffic being an issue for a 3rd day again since WC was packed even on Friday. Plus with people getting bumped from even getting tickets to SDCC, Long Beach is a great Con to attend without all the ticketing hassle.

In replay to your question, and in response to Ed's comment that the Los Angeles Comic Book and Science Fiction Convention has emphasis on everything but Comics. The Los Angeles Comic Book and Science Fiction Convention is very much a Comic Book Convention.

At the Sunday, May 6 Convention Special Guest Barbara Leigh, who was the original Vampirella Cover Model for Warren's Vampirella Magazine will be appearing to sign autographs. Fans of the Warren Comic line have an opportunity to acquire a photo from the Vampirella photo session that Barbara did for Warren which also includes an autograph.

Georges Jeanty, Artist for the Dark Horse Comic Book Buffy The Vampire Slayer will be taking commissioned sketches and have his Buffy Sketch Books available for purchase. Georges also worked for DC Comics on titles such as Green Lantern, Superboy, and Superman. At Marvel Comics Georges did the artwork for Gambit, Deadpool, Bishop: The Last X-Man, and Weapon X.

Convention Special Guests Kathryn Leigh Scott and Lara Parker from the Dark Shadows television series will be appearing to sign their new books. Dark Shadows has a long history of being represented in Comic Books and Comic Strips, with Dynamite Entertainment producing a new Dark Shadows Comic Book series. Convention Special Guest Ian Ogilvy starred as The Saint in The Return of the Saint television series and he will be signing autographs. The Saint has also been turned into a Comic Book series.

Dark Horse Comics and Dynamite Entertainment have provided books for a Free Drawing taking place at 2:00 P.M. Dark Horse has provided several editions of Creepy Archives, Eerie Archives, Boris Karloff's Tales of Mystery, and a Buffy The Vampire Slayer Hardcover. Dynamite Entertainment has provided a large quantity of a Vampirella Trade Paperback.

Dynamite Entertainment has provided a Vampirella Comic Book (a $3.99 value) for Early Admission attendees (this also includes a Dark Shadows Movie Poster, a $20.00 value) while supplies last. Early Admission is only $12.00 and allows early shopping in the Dealers Room, and Regular Admission is only $8.00 beginning at 10:00 A.M.

There's also a small number of independent Artists and Publishers attending on the Dealer Room floor. The Dealers Room has a really good sign up of over one hundred tables covering a wide range of Comics featuring FVF Comics, Alan Rutledge, Don Madision, Aladdin Books, Frances Green, Jeff Dixon, Ron Vreeken, Fernando Abarca, Jimmy Ruiz, Comics Ink, Comic Cellar, Jeff Frank, JC's Comics and Collectibles, Angelo DiMeo, Alan Williams, Scott Hudlow, Galaxy of Comics, Terence McVickers Rare Books (who will have Science Fiction paperbacks, some pulps, original art by Virgil Finlay and Stephen Fabian),and many others. Golden Age isn't in as large of a supply, so you're more likely to come across Silver and Bronze Age Comic Books. Many of the dealers at the Los Angeles Comic Book and Science Fiction Convention don't do too many of the other area shows. The table rate is only $105.00 and admission is only $8.00 so there's more savings at this show for both the dealers and collectors, and you're more likely to find good deals because of the low rates.

There will also be other entertainment media guests relating to Science Fiction (the name of the show is Los Angeles Comic Book and Science Fiction Convention), and for those that are interested check the separate listing for the Convention on the CGC Boards.

Last call for anyone with specific comic want list issues before I finish my fine sorting. I have marked 12 long boxes at 50% off for the show and will be bringing a few Modern hot books like New X-men 128 & 129, signed limited edition of Vengeance of Bane second print, a large amount of the Knightfall run in Batman and Detective, a large run of Deadpool, and a few other assorted goodies plus my usual GA, SA, and Bronze.

Ed R

Ed

When I went on the Friday in 2010, it was pretty sparse and some artists did say it was slow, but it was LBCC's second showing only right? I think the show has become more established and if they can promote it like the recent Wonder Con in Anaheim then I don't see foot traffic being an issue for a 3rd day again since WC was packed even on Friday. Plus with people getting bumped from even getting tickets to SDCC, Long Beach is a great Con to attend without all the ticketing hassle.

The 2010 show unfortunately was on Halloween weekend which did not work out too well. Both Martha and Phil have done a great job making adjustments to the show and personally I think keeping it a 2 day for right now is the best but that is just my opinion. It worked well last year as a 2 day and we shall see what happens this year. But either way I agree that the Long Beach location is a great location for both fans and exhibitors alike. Martha and Phil have a great thing going.