• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone dealt with Sparkle City Comics?
1 1

95 posts in this topic

I've been noticing that the recent Sparkle City auctions have not been as good. The depth is not there as it used to be. I remember when they would always have big books like Bat 1, Supes 1, Tec 31, etc. Books of that caliber in every auction. They also would have quite a few OO collections they would list. I wonder what happened. I guess they've cleaned out selling the bigger books at the moment.

My biggest issue with eBay is sellers' pulling of items if the bidding isn't to their liking. I've wasted a lot of time following books that ended up getting pulled.

Sparkle City doesn't do that, but their lead buyer is a guy named Greg Jortner, and some of what I've read about his business practices leave a bad taste in my mouth:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7262266&fpart=1

In fairness to Sparkle City, I had no issues when I bought a book in one of their eBay auctions back in 2012. I just don't like the idea of putting money in Jortner's pocket.

I received my only Sparkle city win. DD80 raw copy graded around 9.6.

Looked through it cover to cover. Grading was in the ballpark. There didn't appear to be any colour touches inside or out. No pages were missing. Page quality was ow/w IMO.

I will buy from them again. I might have risked more but I had some of the copies they were selling already.

I have stopped bidding with them. It seems that they are no longer slabbing their books with CGC which leads me to believe that there is something going on. They are not really slabbing their books with CBCS either so...

Their grading is a bit looser or not as critical as compared to a few years ago.

This is a shame as they were my go to guys every Sunday when their auctions would close.

What happened to Sparkle City's grading?

I have disagreed now and again when it comes to their grading depending on their scan, but this time they are listing a lot of raw 9.8s that are anything but.

i.e. gi combat 169

lol

That's gotta be a mistake.

I have disagreed now and again when it comes to their grading depending on their scan, but this time they are listing a lot of raw 9.8s that are anything but.

i.e. gi combat 169

lol

Look at their other 9.8s this auction.

i.e. gi combat 169

lol

Wow...you're not kidding.

This one made me laugh, but then there's so many to choose from.

Phantom Stranger #35,37,38 Newsstand MINT 9.8 LOT of 3 Comics DC Horror

rVBDu8t.jpg

i.e. gi combat 169

lol

rVBDu8t.jpg

What? They're just projecting the 'after-shipping' condition in the scans. :shrug:

On 6/22/2015 at 10:24 PM, lizards2 said:

Ditch Fahrenheit said:
  romanheart said:
  Ditch Fahrenheit said:
  romanheart said:

i.e. gi combat 169

lol

rVBDu8t.jpg

What? They're just projecting the 'after-shipping' condition in the scans. :shrug:

lol  the old me cracks the new me up!

1 minute ago, Patriot6 said:
34 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

lol  the old me cracks the new me up!

Sounds like you need a friend...

:sorry: