• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's you favorite?

45 posts in this topic

I always liked this one:

"Oh, you just want to buy this so that you can run it over to the CGC booth and have it slabbed so that you can flip it for twice what I'm charging." (Said about a raw book that was priced at 10% higher than the highest price reflected in the same grade on GPAnalysis.)

I'm going to take a wild guess at the best (and judging from his collection, perhaps the ONLY) line that Harry (Burntboy) has ever heard from a seller when buying a book:

"Hey you kids, get away from the newsstand if you're not going to buy anything, and I can see all that bubble gum that you've stuffed in your pockets! Damned whippersnappers! Why can't you be like Harry here who buys one of everything?"

I'm going to take a wild guess at the best (and judging from his collection, perhaps the ONLY) line that Harry (Burntboy) has ever heard from a seller when buying a book:

"Hey you kids, get away from the newsstand if you're not going to buy anything, and I can see all that bubble gum that you've stuffed in your pockets! Damned whippersnappers! Why can't you be like Harry here who buys one of everything?"

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

after spending untold hours at Jades purchasing old DC's and then reading them at his soda fountain with a cherrycoke , his wife actually started to let me exchange the ones i read for different ones on the way out the door. (of course that's a double-edged sword when looking back, but at the time i loved that woman!!)

i then started to sell newspapers for jades successor, Sid, outside the store on sundays in the very early sixties and did, in fact, buy one of almost any superhero book. i can remember being torn over whether to buy the new marvels as the stories were strange and the artwork uneven (take a good look at the artwork in FF#1 & 2). also, the hulk went a whole issue before they changed his skin color and ironman went from grey to gold after one issue and then to red and gold less than a year down the road. but the O'brien brothers loved 'em so i decided to join in on the fun (thank god). blush.gif

and, yes, both owners let me browse and read to my hearts content cloud9.gif

You should spend some time writing out as many stories as you can come up with about buying your collection back in the day. Personally, I love reading stories about pedigree/original owner collections. With Matt's new pedigree book coming out, it looks like I'm not alone. It would be great to get as much information as possible on "paper" about your collection for posterity -- such as details of where you bought them, stories about the newsstand owners, funny things that happened (like the O'Brien brothers talking you into buying Marvels), how you stored them, how you kept your mother from throwing them away, etc. It would be a lot of typing, but I'll bet you'd have a lot of fun with it and I know that plenty of us would love to read about it -- especially if stories about particular books were accompanied by current scans of what that particular book looks like today.

Every once in awhile I get some humor flipping on the Coin Vault show on QVC

Actually Coin Vault is on HSN. QVC has something like Collectible Coins or Coin Collector or some such. But you are 100% right. My favorite two things are when these places sell bulk junk silver coins and specualte on what they wouldbe worth if silver hits $50 an ounce again (of course neglecting the fact it was the Hunt Bros shenanigans that rive the price to that artificial level). And the best one? "This is an MS-70 2004 Silver Dollar. If this were a Morgan at even MS-67 it would be worth a million dollars! Well no shucks! How many people slabbed Morgan dollars when they first came out?

I am the best dealer in the world and it is an honour for my customers to deal with me, I therefore charge a premium on my books for this additional privilege. grin.gif

Wow, that's a really convincing one...Storms give that one to you? smirk.gif

Of course, the fact they have been making the same mistakes for 25 years, with each mistake being reinforced year after year, doesn't seem to dawn on them.

Or they just don't care. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Of course, the fact they have been making the same mistakes for 25 years, with each mistake being reinforced year after year, doesn't seem to dawn on them.

Hmmm - equally frustrating.

I am the best dealer in the world and it is an honour for my customers to deal with me, I therefore charge a premium on my books for this additional privilege. grin.gif

Wow, that's a really convincing one...Storms give that one to you? smirk.gif

Sounds more like MR.

Hmmm - equally frustrating.

If they can charge more then they couldn't possibly be making a mistake. insane.gif