• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original AF 15 Ditko Cover

53 posts in this topic

I remember reading that Ditko had originally done a version of the cover for Amazing Fantasy 15, but that Stan Lee had rejected it and had Kirby draw one instead. I was going to post about if Ditko's version ever got out but googled it and found the original cover:

Amazing_Fantasy_Vol_1_15_Variant_Original_Ditko_Cover.jpg

Looking at it I definitely think Stan Lee made the right call going with Kirby's version. Strange to think of alternate reality where this is the cover of AF 15.

I prefer the Kirby cover. Ditko wasn't as strong at doing covers as he was with story telling and co plotting a story. With the exception of Amazing Spider-Man #3, 12, 20, 25, 28 & 33, I didn't enjoy many Ditko covers. I think Romita Sr was a much better cover artist, but yes Stan did make the right choice with the AF #15 cover.

My favorite thing about this (and Kirby's cover) is that it basically has Spidey revealing his secret identity before the comic even starts...

a sign of things to come...

plus there's a great gag comic somewhere of Spidey realizing he just gave away his identity to this guy and then he drops him to his death.... or was that in a deadpool...

Strange to think of alternate reality where this is the cover of AF 15.

I don't think it would have been a lot different. The Spider-man character is what resonated with readers - the cover wouldn't have changed that, especially since it's the same concept, but at a different angle.

If this were the one that were published, we'd be looking at Kirby's cover wondering the same thing.

I don't think it would have been a lot different. The Spider-man character is what resonated with readers - the cover wouldn't have changed that, especially since it's the same concept, but at a different angle.

If this were the one that were published, we'd be looking at Kirby's cover wondering the same thing.

I disagree. Kirby's covers drew readers in. He was a master at plotting action scenes and making them look larger than life. Kirby's AF #15 cover is much more powerful than Ditko's. Ditko's cover imitates life. Kirby's blows real life out of the water.

That said, Kirby could never again capture Spidey as well as Ditko after that first cover.

I disagree. Kirby's covers drew readers in. He was a master at plotting action scenes and making them look larger than life. Kirby's AF #15 cover is much more powerful than Ditko's. Ditko's cover imitates life. Kirby's blows real life out of the water.

That said, Kirby could never again capture Spidey as well as Ditko after that first cover.

+1 to this.

I saw a board member was recently selling a portugese AF #15. It used the Ditko cover which I thought was random, but really cool that it still got used in a way.

Spider-man would have flopped with Ditko's cover? That's a pretty big statement.

The only thing worse than Kirby art is Ditko art.

:o

Sacrilege! I'm not a fan of Ditko at all, but Kirby-bashing? At 9am?

one of the things that I'm sure was intentional was how minimal and to the point

the real AF 15 cover it...

Almost like it was trying to mimic other Huge First appearances like

Action 1 and tec 27...

AF 15 was a SA books cover that looked a lot like GA.

I love it.

(worship)

one of the things that I'm sure was intentional was how minimal and to the point

Very true - that Ditko cover has got a lot going on, it's too busy.

the art is cool though.

It looks like it was made for a splash page that someone added all of the

cover items to. If you remove the book title, price, blurbs etc. it's not bad...

the art is cool though.

It looks like it was made for a splash page that someone added all of the

cover items to. If you remove the book title, price, blurbs etc. it's not bad...

I agree - I like the perspective of looking down at the onlookers. It's much more dynamic in terms of composition, but the balloons, blurbs, stylized 'Spider-man' type competing with the 'Amazing Fantasy' masthead just squashes all the action.

Roy said it very accurately: "Ditko's cover imitates life. Kirby's blows real life out of the water."

I probably can't be objective anymore since I've stared at that cover too many times and it now represents all things Spidey.

But when looking at the full size images of both, two things come to my mind. I prefer the minimalist background of the Kirby cover, and I prefer the more realistic Spidey in the Ditko cover.

One thing that's always bothered me about the Kirby cover is the angle of the web, and the unrealistic grip Spidey has with his right hand. Conversely, Ditko is right on the money with both (left hand in his version).

I must say though, I prefer the angle of Spidey's head (looking down) and the wing-webbing on Kirby's version.

Just my 2c.

amazing-fantasy-rejected.jpg

AmazingFantasy_15p000-fc.jpg

The Kirby cover is far superior to the Ditko version. Much more heroic looking.

I agree, but would we be saying that if the Ditko cover was the one used and thus been the cover we've all been used to seeing since 1961?

The Kirby cover is far superior to the Ditko version. Much more heroic looking.

I agree, but would we be saying that if the Ditko cover was the one used and thus been the cover we've all been used to seeing since 1961?

It's possible. But, there are some other alternative thread covers (can't recall the books) where "we" liked the unused one better.

I think it's tough to argue that the Ditko version is more dynamic/heroic looking than the Kirby.

I think Marvel made the right call for the cover (Kirby over Ditko) and also made the right call for the artist (Ditko over Kirby) moving forward.

Just curious, after that cover, did Kirby ever draw Spider-Man again? Maybe in a cross-over or something? I don't think he ever drew a standalone Spider-Man issue.

Strange Tales Annual #2, Avengers #11

He never did it as well as the AF #15 cover though.