• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any other twenty-somethings mostly in awe of everyone's else's stuff?

67 posts in this topic

Started at age 9, at 28 now, like to think I've got a decent collection for someone still under the hill =), but damn if some of the stuff you folks have make mine look silly. That Timely thread in the Golden Age forum was cool and depressing all at once. I want that [!@#%^&^]!

Everyone has their own place on the pecking order of life. In most cases it's all about $$$$ so those that have a lot will have a lot of nice books and those with very little, will typically stick with cheaper books like moderns and Bronze Age.

Also remember that some of these folks have been collecting for 20, 30, maybe even 40 years and books weren't always as expensive as they are now. JC had the best advise, which is collect what you like within your budget.

Proper planning can also help you get some of those books you never thought possible. thumbsup2.gif

What you need to understand DK, is that.......once a month.......during the full moon..........all the older guys meet, and sacrifice one of the younger dudes to the God of Collecting.

This sacrifice ensures the continuation of our vampiric existence, and the survival of our collections.

For instance....Old Guy is really 157. BurntBoy is 211. And I? I am 473 years old.

So join us, DK, at our next meeting....in the low glades of Sarasota. Midnight. Full moon. You'll, um....enjoy it.

Okay, everyone. Back to work! hi.gif

Unless you have every comic printed in ultra high grade, there will always be books that will be better than yours. Just enjoy them and don't beat yourself over it. Focus on a particular title or genre and enjoy.

This sacrifice ensures the continuation of our vampiric existence, and the survival of our collections.

Yea, it also helps to keep down the number of repeat and OT posts on the boards. devil.gif

What you need to understand DK, is that.......once a month.......during the full moon..........all the older guys meet, and sacrifice one of the younger dudes to the God of Collecting.

For instance....Old Guy is really 157. BurntBoy is 211. And I? I am 473 years old.

So join us, DK, at our next meeting....in the low glades of Sarasota. Midnight. Full moon. You'll, um....enjoy it.

sign-funnypost.gif

This must be where the song, " THE Freaks Come Out at Night" comes from 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I'm a thirty-something and am in awe of some of the collections of the guys who contribute here. CentaurMan, Timely, tth, hkp, linmoth, Drummy, Bonds25, Captain_Tripps, GhostTown, BronzeBruce, and my personal favorite, Burntboy's collections (among many, many others too numerous to list) are amazing to look at. I also have a soft spot in my heart for Povertyrow's collection because it consists largely of books that I know nothing about and I like reading about how excited he gets about his pre-Code horror. It almost makes me want to start buying some. Aside from comics, some of Gene's original art just floors me too. And then there's David's "Tomato Box" pedigree that has some great bronze books that are in great shape, and I just dig the fact that he stored them in tomato boxes. We haven't had that many Pretty Book of the Day threads lately, and I think it's high time we started seeing some more of them.

Yea, it also helps to keep down the number of repeat and OT posts on the boards. devil.gif

ARCH, can you change OldGuy's title to be "The OT Guy"? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

ARCH, can you change OldGuy's title to be "The OT Guy"? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

blush.gifmad.gifsmile.gif27_laughing.gif

You Blade copycat! mad.gif

As a fellow 28-year-old...

It's great to see all the amazing books that

make up Golden, Silver, and Bronze collections,

and it's possible that some of those books were

even purchased for 10cents, 12cents, etc.

... and that's what really gets me thinking...

Since we "ooh" and "aah" about those people who

had the opportunity to buy fantastic books in their youth

for cover price... doesn't it make sense to do the same for yourself?

Which leads to the perpetual collector philosophical question...

Should you plop down $1,000 or $10,000 for a great book

from someone else's youth... or plop down $1 to $10 for a great

book from your own childhood?

I'm betting you can guess what I picked... grin.gif

(But I agree, those high grade vintage books are fantastic!

Special congrats to anyone who bought them for cover price!)

Unless you have every comic printed in ultra high grade, there will always be books that will be better than yours. Just enjoy them and don't beat yourself over it. Focus on a particular title or genre and enjoy.

So basically unless you are Tripps your collection sucks. blush.gif893frustrated.gif893whatthe.gif

Just listen to the following creed and remember it when you see something better than what you have.

"What I collect is cool. What you collect is stupid."

That way you know that you have the coolest collection.

In most cases it's all about $$$$ so those that have a lot will have a lot of nice books and those with very little, will typically stick with cheaper books like moderns and Bronze Age.

I don't think that's really true, especially on here.

Look at the Bronze Godfather; he's got some serious books and "flip cash" to play with, but concentrates mostly on Bronze. Same with Gene and I, and we've got some money to play with, but concentrate on the Ages we identify with and comics we value on a personal level.

If someone were to offer me a NM copy of AF 15, or the equal value in NM+ Byrne X-men, I'd take the latter everytime. thumbsup2.gif

As a fellow 28-year-old...

It's great to see all the amazing books that

make up Golden, Silver, and Bronze collections,

and it's possible that some of those books were

even purchased for 10cents, 12cents, etc.

... and that's what really gets me thinking...

Since we "ooh" and "aah" about those people who

had the opportunity to buy fantastic books in their youth

for cover price... doesn't it make sense to do the same for yourself?

Which leads to the perpetual collector philosophical question...

Should you plop down $1,000 or $10,000 for a great book

from someone else's youth... or plop down $1 to $10 for a great

book from your own childhood?

I'm betting you can guess what I picked... grin.gif

(But I agree, those high grade vintage books are fantastic!

Special congrats to anyone who bought them for cover price!)

I have a long-box and a half of mostly early Valiants in the basement! Started around Unity and stopped collecting after they dilulted the waters with too many bad books. I think my Harbinger #2 will go down as the comic in my collection that is worth the smallest percentage of what I paid for it as I got it at its highest popularity...and now... bleh.

And I spend a ton on new books, but I have as much love of the past as love for the present.

If someone were to offer me a NM copy of AF 15, or the equal value in NM+ Byrne X-men, I'd take the latter everytime. thumbsup2.gif

Thats a lot of byrne x-men! When you make that trade and have 50 or so extra sets, let me know, I have holes to fill there. =)

To have the kind of books that show up here frequently you have to have $$$$, some may choose to collect in newer ages, but I guarantee they aren't buying VG copies of Hulk 181 for the most part, but rather 9.4's. Sure it's not everyone on here, but let's be truthful, you aren't owning key GA or Silver age books unless you A) have been collecting for quite a few years or B) you have some $$$ to play with.

I'm not saying you have to be rich to have nice books, saving and planning can help to a certain extent, but when we are talking about books worth $5,000 and up....that is just outside the price range of most collectors and that's the money I am talking about here.

Sure, and I agree with that, but it's not the same as the statement I replied to:

"In most cases it's all about $$$$ so those that have a lot will have a lot of nice books and those with very little, will typically stick with cheaper books like moderns and Bronze Age."

Honestly, I could win 20 lotteries and I would still have absolutely no interest in collecting Gold or Silver. confused-smiley-013.gif