• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thanos

105 posts in this topic

Key cheap books to speculate on pertaining to THANOS:

CM26.jpg

Captain Marvel #26: Second appearance of Thanos, first appearance of Death! People like to state this as Thanos first cover appearance but come on. He's obscurred in the shadows. Not really a true interpretation of the character but it is what it is.

CM28.jpg

Captain Marvel #28: Now here's what I like to call Thanos' first cover. Great image of the Mad Titan that ties The Avengers into his first cosmic storyline. This appeared months before Avengers #125. He doesn't actually meet the Avengers in the story but really, this book is all about the cover and in this CGC market, thats all that really matters.

CM33.jpg

Captain Marvel #33: Great Thanos cover and the first true origin of Thanos. Very underrated.

I enjoy the depth of Thanos' personality they have developed, and the time they have taken to let his plans play out. He's one of my favorite characters, not just favorite villain - I was ecstatic to see the rumor become true...

6995867870_77a3c2276a_c.jpg

Love that panel. Man, if only Mr. Perez completed the IG. It takes a step back with Lim. Why couldn't SDtarlin complete it? WHY?!?!?! lol

From what I understand, Perez did IG as a paycheck book and fell behind schedule on it because he found it too drawn out and boring. I would have to concur. His art on the first couple of issues is excellent though.

Hmmm. That doesn't sound like Perez; to admit he did it for a paycheck. You have a link with a quote? I always assumed he was doing a JLA/DC miniseries at the same time and couldn't keep up with the demands.

The quote is in an interview I read with him in one of the Perez books / magazines I have, I'll have to look for it. He was also doing the War of the Gods mini for DC at the time. He's admitted to doing paycheck work before, I believe in the same interview he admittted that Ultraforce was a paycheck book as well.

I found the quote. I was wrong in that he admitted it was a paycheck book, but the other stuff is true. "I was having a hard time keeping my enthusiasm up. I was becoming overly critical of the books I was working on. With Infinity Gauntlet, I felt the story did not warrant six double-sized books. --- it seemed really, really padded"

This was from Modern Masters Vol #2.

Thanos being inspired by Darkseid has never really been a secret, though it's true that the average Thanos fan might not know the history. But like Miller's Elektra is a glorious rip-off of Eisner's Sand Serif, the younger generation often riffs on the masterpieces of the older generation, sometimes with great results.

Darkseid is a great character in his own right, just like Thanos is a great character in his own right. If I were Darkseid and some badazz supervillian were going to be patterned after me, I'd want it to be Thanos.

Man that's way nerdier sounding typed out than it sounded in my head.

What is so great about this dude? Other than being a knock-off by Jim Starlin of Darkseid?

Thought this was interesting...

Starlin has admitted the character is influenced by Jack Kirby's Darkseid:

Kirby had done the New Gods, which I thought was terrific. He was over at DC at the time. I came up with some things that were inspired by that. You'd think that Thanos was inspired by Darkseid, but that was not the case when I showed up. In my first Thanos drawings, if he looked like anybody, it was Metron. I had all these different gods and things I wanted to do, which became Thanos and the Titans. Roy took one look at the guy in the Metron-like chair and said : "Beef him up! If you're going to steal one of the New Gods, at least rip off Darkseid, the really good one!"[2]

There is nothing new under the sun. Every idea builds upon another.

Spidey, Iron Man, Batman, Hulk, Superman - these guys and many other heroes were all based on previous prototypes and archtypes, many of which were created by other people.

Nothing new here.

The reason I like Thanos is that they always show him five steps ahead of the "good guys". Just when you think the good guys have him figured out, you find out he had already planned for that in some interesting and unique way. It's like reading a game of chess in comic book form. And the fact that he has numerous times out thought even the gods like Galactus is just enjoyable.

I just checked ebay, "Thanos Quest" and "Infinity Gauntlet" are hot at the moment. Some paid prices and bids I found:

Infinity Gauntlet 1-6 $45 (1 bid)

Infinity Gauntlet 1-6 $50 (12 bids and 4 days to go)

Thanos Quest 1&2 $20 (4 days to go)

Thanos Quest 1&2 $24 (6 days to go)

Thanos Quest 1&2 sold for $27 (19 bids)

Thanos Quest 1&2 sold for $76 (21bids)

Thanos Quest 1 CGC 9.8 sold for $95

Thanos Quest 2 CGC 9.8 sold for $38

Yeah, I've been scouring eBay today for all that stuff. Once I get these stupid big bills out of the way I think I'll have to score some nice raw copies of those as well as all the Avengers/Warlock/Captain Marvel appearances. I have the TPBs already.

Peace,

Chip

Thing is, I don't see Marvel Studios doing The Infinity Gauntlet. It's too big. Too many characters and yet another weapon that has to be introduced. The cube(Tesseract?) is established in the Marvel cinema universe (Cap, Avengers) and we have only seen a fraction of it's power. Remember, Thanos turned himself into a God with the Cube.

But, If Marvel was to surprise us with a Thanos Quest movie, one that introduces the Soul Gems and Warlock, Then I can see a IG film being made. (Wouldn't that be awesome? A man can dream) Make Loki the Mephisto character.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm a betting man and I gotta go with the early Thanos stuff as inspiration for the upcoming films. I've already secured the early cosmic cub stories (Including the ones with Red Skull, I have a feeling he's not done in the Marvel Studio films) and ist appearances of Death, Mentor, Warlock (who was tied into a early Thor yarn too, hmmmm), and Gamora.

I know sounds like a geekgasm but where else I'm I gonna post this? My other comic book friends are tired of my Thanos rants. lol