• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

**Rare Primetime Vault Opening: Timely Junk**

120 posts in this topic

Hey Ben, I'm tempted, oh so tempted.

It was sure great to see you at the theatre yesterday for The Avengers. Always great to see an 'ole friend and catch up. When I told my wife that I ran into my comic buddy at the Avengers movie, she replied, "Who else do you think you're going to see there besides a fellow comic geek!" :grin:

Your wife is right John! :insane:

John you know what happens when temptation sets in :devil::whistle:

holy $hitballs - Golden Age Grail!!!!

Awesome looking book, Ben - can't imagine what grade it would pull without that color touch that had to be stripped!!

Let's talk trades if noone snatches this bad boy up!!

the riverboat gambler :juggle:lol would certainly be strong 4.0+ without the paper loss :P The colors make up for it....many Cap 1s have faded blues, reds, and yellows...

First book up:

USA Comics # 8 CGC 2.5

This was the toughest of all USA "Cap" covers for me to acquire. I think it's tougher than the 11, but some will disagree. I have had more opportunities to buy the 11 than an 8. Eye appeal is very nice for the grade. Spine and colors are mid-grade form, but CGC zapped the PQ :( Had the book raw for three years and didn't think they were brittle. Oh well. Buy the book, not the label :cloud9:

The last time I sold my USA 6, 7, 9, and 10 here on the boards they flew outta here at 4-5X guide. A low grade copy (4.0) sold on Heritage for $2,250 range three years ago. Tough book.

Asking $2,500

USA8CGC25FCLabel.jpg

USA8CGC25FC.jpg

USA8CGC25BC.jpg

That is a really nice looking 2.5. ;)

Another book featuring the guy with the round..er...I mean triangular shield in this one ;)

Cap # 1 CGC 3.0

I got this copy from a dude named GAtor :insane: Blue label Cap 1s are nowhere to be found lately. This copy has colors that are the best I've seen on any Cap 1! Eye appeal is certainly 4.0. Some color touch was scraped off by Matt Nelson in a few areas along spine and along FC edge (you can see some paper loss). Clean and bright copy for the grade.

Asking $30,000

cap1cgc30-1.jpg

myCap1CGC30NEWSCANnolabelFCDEC10.jpg

myCap1CGC30NEWSCANBCDEC10.jpg

Hey Ben,

You have some great books there buddy! Good luck on your sales!

As most of you know, I rarely sell books, but I have some other things on the horizon, and I can always get these back later.

Hi Ben,

huh? So it’s relatively easy to find a Cap #1 if you are willing to spend the money for its current market value? Just curious, I would never feel comfortable with such amounts of money in play, but Captain America Comics #1 (especially after I met Jack Kirby and asked him a specific question about the character) would definitely be a comic book I would keep on the top of the "meaningful" roster of "literary classics". ;)

It even seems you priced it pretty in line with the average pricing for the grade. It’s really a beautiful copy. I would keep such top-valued comics in public museums… :)

First book up:

USA Comics # 8 CGC 2.5

This was the toughest of all USA "Cap" covers for me to acquire. I think it's tougher than the 11, but some will disagree. I have had more opportunities to buy the 11 than an 8. Eye appeal is very nice for the grade. Spine and colors are mid-grade form, but CGC zapped the PQ :( Had the book raw for three years and didn't think they were brittle. Oh well. Buy the book, not the label :cloud9:

The last time I sold my USA 6, 7, 9, and 10 here on the boards they flew outta here at 4-5X guide. A low grade copy (4.0) sold on Heritage for $2,250 range three years ago. Tough book.

Asking $2,500

USA8CGC25FCLabel.jpg

USA8CGC25FC.jpg

USA8CGC25BC.jpg

That is a really nice looking 2.5. ;)

(thumbs u

As most of you know, I rarely sell books, but I have some other things on the horizon, and I can always get these back later.

Hi Ben,

huh? So it’s relatively easy to find a Cap #1 if you are willing to spend the money for its current market value? Just curious, I would never feel comfortable with such amounts of money in play, but Captain America Comics #1 (especially after I met Jack Kirby and asked him a specific question about the character) would definitely be a comic book I would keep on the top of the "meaningful" roster of "literary classics". ;)

It even seems you priced it pretty in line with the average pricing for the grade. It’s really a beautiful copy. I would keep such top-valued comics in public museums… :)

Cap 1s are not tough at all by GA standards. Finding a copy has never been an issue. A lot of cap 1s are restored though and the past year blue labels have been tucked away.

Hi Ben,

Cap 1s are not tough at all by GA standards. Finding a copy has never been an issue. A lot of cap 1s are restored though and the past year blue labels have been tucked away.

Right its a 1941 book not '38 or '39 and those two or three years make a huge difference in the copies available on most GA books.

kinda like 61 vs 64 marvels

I've seen that USA#8 in-hand and it is awsome! I'm close to saying to "H-E-double hockey sticks" with the Brittle pages and just buy the darn thing! It's all about the cover anyways, isn't it??? (shrug):frustrated:

First book up:

USA Comics # 8 CGC 2.5

Asking $2,500

USA8CGC25FCLabel.jpg

USA8CGC25FC.jpg

USA8CGC25BC.jpg

Oh my.... :o

That is one great looking book.... must resist.... very tempting.... look away....

Another book featuring the guy with the round..er...I mean triangular shield in this one ;)

Cap # 1 CGC 3.0

I got this copy from a dude named GAtor :insane: Blue label Cap 1s are nowhere to be found lately. This copy has colors that are the best I've seen on any Cap 1! Eye appeal is certainly 4.0. Some color touch was scraped off by Matt Nelson in a few areas along spine and along FC edge (you can see some paper loss). Clean and bright copy for the grade.

Asking $30,000

cap1cgc30-1.jpg

:idea:You wouldn't happen to do 3 year payment plans :facepalm:

Cap # 1 CGC 3.0

Asking $30,000

cap1cgc30-1.jpg

:idea:You wouldn't happen to do 3 year payment plans :facepalm:

I can remember five years ago when I could have competed in a CLINK auction for this book in a blue label 4.5 for around 15k. Kicking myself to this day for as time goes on, a book of this magnitude will only continue to head north! Beautiful copy, Ben!

I've seen that USA#8 in-hand and it is awsome! I'm close to saying to "H-E-double hockey sticks" with the Brittle pages and just buy the darn thing! It's all about the cover anyways, isn't it??? (shrug):frustrated:
All about the schomburg cover dizzy!