• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So what's with the Philippines?

35 posts in this topic

I was in the mutha land for a month a couple of weeks ago. If y'all think the Flips you know are great artists, imagine the number of those who have yet to catch their big break. Some have taken dayjobs like tattoo and mural artists just get by daily. But they all stick together. So if one makes it big, chances are he's bringing others with him.

It has to do in part with wwii and our occupation of the php. Nothing political here just a statement of fact that a ton of silver age comics ended up in the php during and after the war. I see heavy silver age infuence in some of their art.

For the past couple years many of the filipino artists tend to come to Singapore for cons, events, etc, due to the proximity

I've had the fortune to meet Tolibao, Segovia, Pagulayan, Leinil, etc in person and get pieces from them

Just sayin, would be a good idea to get a CAW or two here... :)

@ USArmyParatrooper

because we have Yoda here...

e1a70aeb-db21-4452-b6d2-fcf3ab73db43.jpg

Nah seriously.

I have access to almost all of the Pinoy artists and we are all good friends. Other than that I live pretty close to where some of them live which is also close to where big comic events are usually held. :grin:

If you're going here in the country just let me know, I can hook you up and we can invade their houses. lol

I don't know what it is...but its amazing...just a simple theory, and I could be wrong...

But a nice cross-section of asian (anime) and american comic art influences cross-pollinating perhaps, and thus creating sheer awesome...methinks hm

Plus if San Miguel in the PI realy is still a mystery in every bottle...that can't hurt. :devil:, when one is striving for creative juices.

I'll have to try the whole soda in a plastic bag thing, anything to draw better than the stick figures I attempt to draw then to pass off as art...then blame my infant children when I get called out on it.