• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FCBD 2012 Pics!

50 posts in this topic

7155863910_02fa62a8f7_z.jpg

Lauren is that you? That is the classiest Poison Ivy I've ever seen.

Yes it is! I made the dress almost four years ago and only wore it twice. I place to use it more now. :)

This does look like a lot of fun. I only wish that they had Free Comic Day back when I owned my comic store. (1999)

As I look back to the collector shops I can see how much in the past few years how that the manufacturers are giving more back the the community to help promote their product. Which I am happy about. Comics have FCBD, Magic:TG has Friday Night Magic, AD&D even has free play days where they give a whole game set up to a store with prizes to encourage play, and you can even get a hold of Wizkids to come top you shop to demo. Warmachine has actual judges that they support with product to come to stores to demo. The more you get the public involved the greater the success. Thumbs up to the industry for taking an interest in their customers.

This does look like a lot of fun. I only wish that they had Free Comic Day back when I owned my comic store. (1999)

As I look back to the collector shops I can see how much in the past few years how that the manufacturers are giving more back the the community to help promote their product.

Well... sort of. It's actually the comic shops that are supporting the community... the manufacturers provide product at cost... but the shops are the ones that PAY for the product and then give it out for free. Virtually all of our customers, however, assume we get all of this stuff for free from Marvel/DC/etc.

Thumbs up to the industry for taking an interest in their customers.

I don't disagree. But there is another side to this coin no one likes to talk about... what does it say about an industry that has to give its product away for free in order to get the public interested?

You don't see Red Box offering Free-DVD day, you don't see movie theater chains offering Free Ticket Day, and you don't see local TV channels offering Free Advertisement Day. Other businesses offer sales, incentives, sometimes they give something else away for free (like toasters at a bank)... but it is rare outside of this industry to have to give away free one's core product in order to get the public to take notice.

Though I'm holding out hope for free-Cadillac day!

and yet there are so many industries that give out sample product every day of the year for free. Just think about companies that manufacture flooring (for a boring comparison) they give out sample swatches of carpet, tile, and everything else to potential customers all the time and incur large expenses related to these samples in hopes that their product will be picked out of all the others out there and create repeat business.

It's all in how you spin it.

and yet there are so many industries that give out sample product every day of the year for free. Just think about companies that manufacture flooring (for a boring comparison) they give out sample swatches of carpet, tile, and everything else to potential customers all the time and incur large expenses related to these samples in hopes that their product will be picked out of all the others out there and create repeat business.

It's all in how you spin it.

Perhaps.

Though methinks that might be closer to handing out Free Comic Book Page day as a comparison?

Anyway... we had a big FCBD as well... not complaining. But that doesn't mean I don't like to be aware of a larger and more complex picture than just what is often seen as politically correct.

And... did I mention... great pics B.Lauren! Thanks!