• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman 608 RRP scam

11 posts in this topic

I'm sure we've all seen more egregious scams than this on eBay, but yuck:

Batman 608

- cropped to remove most but not all of the Watchmen header

- wording of the label obscured so that "reprints Batman 608" not visible

- photo of a genuine raw 608 RRP included (different background to other photos, obviously)

- refers to limited print run of 200

- "rare and limited", "selling at record prices", "once in a lifetime opportunity"

- described as "Mint CGC rated"... last time I looked 9.8 was not "mint"...

- seller bought the book 24 hours ago for 50 bucks and is using the same photos to flip it (apart from the photo of the raw)

Grim stuff.

I sent this message to the d-bag seller via eBay:

Hi, I'm confused by your listing. You have the 2009 After Watchmen version of this comic pictured in the CGC case in 9.8, but you also show a raw copy of the original Limited 2002 edition. What is for sale here? Very confusing.

J

Let's see what he comes up with. hm

Be interesting to see. I typed quite a long and semi-abusive message to him then decided not to send it. Can't see the sense - he'll just ignore it - and could do without someone trying to on my auctions if he gets annoyed enough about it.

I suppose if you wanted to put an end to it right away you could report the listing for violating the terms of use.

Claims in the text that "All Serious bids will be considered if you want to do direct deal via Paypal, for those with excellent Feedback!!"

I'm fairly confident eBay wouldn't appreciate him advertising that he'd like to skirt paying them they're FVF, scam or not hm

I emailed him telling him it was a fraudulent listing. I got these messages back and he's at least added a note at the bottom regarding what the book actually is.

hi, I would amend if u knew how. All info on this item was supplied by its owner who asked me to sell it on their behalf. I believed the information to be true at the time of posting. I was unsure that the print number was correct hence the allegedly after it was stated. I can only apologise for any confusion this may of caused. thank you

I couldn't amend the item but a note was added to the description. I would also like to point out at no point does it claim to be the RRP version but thank you for bringing this issue to my attention.