• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buying expensive keys raw or cgc?

48 posts in this topic

If you can buy high grade key s I would stick to slabbed unless you know who the dealer is and know their reputation. Even with that said often dealers miss resto. but the good ones will stand behind their books

I keep turning up Silver Amazing Spider-man's that are restored. We are not talking about AF15 or ASM1... we are talking about 8, 19 and 22...

Almost all of my online purchases are slabbed.

In what sort of grades? Nose-bleed or wallet-friendly? (shrug)

8 turned out to be a 7.0 Purple Trimmed - (Although I may crack it and resubmit because I honestly cannot tell in comparison to other books)

22 -3.5 all three sides trimmed

14 -3.0 slight color touch

19 -5.0 slight color touch

6 -2.5 slight color touch

I have slowly been weeding them out of my collection and doing some serious upgrades. Two months ago I upgraded the 22 Purple 3.5 for a blue label 8.5. I also upgraded the 6 from the 2.5 purple to a blue 5.5.

Here is what I got...

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/PeopleSetDetail.aspx?PeopleSetID=35856 (I am going primarily for the first 100)

The only purple label I am keeping right now and have no plans on substituting is the 23 I have with slight color touch. The cover is bright white and looks perfect. Even with a slight color touch, at a 9.0 I cannot find the book in a more presentable copy.

I want to echo this.

It's not just the high dollar high grade books getting undisclosed restoration.

If you buy on Ebay from someone you don't know, buy slabbed.

If you can buy high grade key s I would stick to slabbed unless you know who the dealer is and know their reputation. Even with that said often dealers miss resto. but the good ones will stand behind their books

This is remarkably important. (thumbs u

Even with the best will in the world, a dealer can occassionally miss resto...hell, CGC have done it in the past. In these circumstances, there are two things that are important.

(A) Said dealer doesn't develop a pattern of frequently missing resto

(B) Said dealer has a cast-iron returns policy.

Here's an example of what (B) should look like...

* Returns are accepted for any valid reason on all items, including CGC graded books, for a period of three months after purchase, providing goods are returned in exactly the same condition as when they were sold. Shipping will be at the buyer's expense.

* If the return is necessary because of an alleged Comicana Direct error (incorrect grade, information not offered at point of sale, etc), the item will be reviewed and if fault is found, shipping both ways will also be refunded.

*Returns/partial refunds are available if a book is graded by CGC up to one year after purchase and is assessed at more than one point below the grade stated by Comicana Direct at the time of sale. In these circumstances, return shipping will also be refunded.

* A full refund, including shipping both ways, if a book is found to be restored at any point in the future and this fact was not disclosed at time of sale.

I'm collecting silver age comics, right now Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer. I'm fine buying most issues raw, but now I'm contemplating moving up and buying some more expensive keys. Namely I want FF 48 and SS 1 and 4.

Would it be advisable to try and save a little money and buy these raw on eBay, or at this level should I only be buying graded copies?

I wouldn't buy them raw on eBay, unless it's from a stellar seller with a golden rep and a fool-proof returns policy.

Slabbed is overall the better way to go, but reputable dealers can also supply you the goods. (thumbs u

What FT said.

Personally, I would avoid eBay entirely. The little bit you might save isn't worth the risk (IMO). Not on those books.

They are common and any reputable dealer should have them in stock. Heck, I'd put up a WTB thread. Lots of people here have those books.

You'll have your choice of raw or slabbed.

What grade range(s) are you looking for?

This is remarkably important. (thumbs u

Even with the best will in the world, a dealer can occassionally miss resto...hell, CGC have done it in the past. In these circumstances, there are two things that are important.

(A) Said dealer doesn't develop a pattern of frequently missing resto

(B) Said dealer has a cast-iron returns policy.

Here's an example of what (B) should look like...

* Returns are accepted for any valid reason on all items, including CGC graded books, for a period of three months after purchase, providing goods are returned in exactly the same condition as when they were sold. Shipping will be at the buyer's expense.

* If the return is necessary because of an alleged Comicana Direct error (incorrect grade, information not offered at point of sale, etc), the item will be reviewed and if fault is found, shipping both ways will also be refunded.

*Returns/partial refunds are available if a book is graded by CGC up to one year after purchase and is assessed at more than one point below the grade stated by Comicana Direct at the time of sale. In these circumstances, return shipping will also be refunded.

* A full refund, including shipping both ways, if a book is found to be restored at any point in the future and this fact was not disclosed at time of sale.

Bravo, Nick. That's easily the best return policy I've ever seen by a comic book dealer.

Seems almost universal advice that I buy slabbed. That's what I was leaning towards anyway, so its nice to see that reinforced here.

One question I have though, does anyone here buy slabbed to make sure they are getting exactly what they want, but then crack it open to either read, or simply store without the bulky slab?

I personally don't like the look of slabs, and since all my other comics are raw, the OCD in me kind of wants to make them all look alike, I was contemplating buying slabbed, but then cracking open and putting in a Mylar, so for my Silver Surfer collection they all look alike. Would that be bad idea?

I'm collecting silver age comics, right now Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer. I'm fine buying most issues raw, but now I'm contemplating moving up and buying some more expensive keys. Namely I want FF 48 and SS 1 and 4.

Would it be advisable to try and save a little money and buy these raw on eBay, or at this level should I only be buying graded copies?

There are many restored copies being passed off as unrestored and it is a minefield out there. That being said it really depends of the grade and value of the books. I prefer raw for any purchase under about $400.

If you prefer raw you'll find the boards a safer place to buy comics. Sellers here are much more likely to grade accurately and disclose resto than ebay.

+1 this is a great place to buy books

Seems almost universal advice that I buy slabbed. That's what I was leaning towards anyway, so its nice to see that reinforced here.

One question I have though, does anyone here buy slabbed to make sure they are getting exactly what they want, but then crack it open to either read, or simply store without the bulky slab?

I personally don't like the look of slabs, and since all my other comics are raw, the OCD in me kind of wants to make them all look alike, I was contemplating buying slabbed, but then cracking open and putting in a Mylar, so for my Silver Surfer collection they all look alike. Would that be bad idea?

theres a whole sales thread over in marketplace right now with (almost) nothing but cracked pedigree books..

buying slabbed decreases the liklihood of you buying a restored book at universal prices... and there are some books where color touch is more likely so I'd be more apt to buy slabbed...

IMO, they are your books, they are your collection. Crack em open if you want, especially if you are not planning on reselling them. I'd hold on to the labels though. I feel what you are saying with the slabs. They are cumbersome to store and I personally have to keep them apart form the other raw books in my run.

I keep turning up Silver Amazing Spider-man's that are restored. We are not talking about AF15 or ASM1... we are talking about 8, 19 and 22...

Almost all of my online purchases are slabbed.

In what sort of grades? Nose-bleed or wallet-friendly? (shrug)

8 turned out to be a 7.0 Purple Trimmed - (Although I may crack it and resubmit because I honestly cannot tell in comparison to other books)

22 -3.5 all three sides trimmed

14 -3.0 slight color touch

19 -5.0 slight color touch

6 -2.5 slight color touch

I have slowly been weeding them out of my collection and doing some serious upgrades. Two months ago I upgraded the 22 Purple 3.5 for a blue label 8.5. I also upgraded the 6 from the 2.5 purple to a blue 5.5.

Here is what I got...

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/PeopleSetDetail.aspx?PeopleSetID=35856 (I am going primarily for the first 100)

The only purple label I am keeping right now and have no plans on substituting is the 23 I have with slight color touch. The cover is bright white and looks perfect. Even with a slight color touch, at a 9.0 I cannot find the book in a more presentable copy.

I want to echo this.

It's not just the high dollar high grade books getting undisclosed restoration.

If you buy on Ebay from someone you don't know, buy slabbed.

I bought all of these as a teenager and college student. I was taken advantage of. There were a few dealers that told me certain books were restored. My raw copy of Amazing Spider-man 13 is restored but was too nice looking to pass up. Sometimes I turned restored books down. But nothing is more irritating to me than seeing a dealer at NYCC that I dealt with fifteen to twenty years ago that I know was less than honest.

Maybe I am being overly cynical. I am sometimes told that restoration work was not as big of a deal back then as it is now...

I had never had a restored comic book so picked one up in a auction to see for my self what cgc calls a slight color restoration ?

Well it turns out thier eyes are better than mine as for the life of me I cant find the color fix ?

Not sure I would trust a raw book of value with my lack of Expertise

I'm a noob - Sorry, if I'm being obtuse here, but wouldn't you have to crack the slab to determine whether or not the CGC grade was incorrect? I thought once cracked the CGC grade would be invalid. - Just trying to learn...

I'm a noob - Sorry, if I'm being obtuse here, but wouldn't you have to crack the slab to determine whether or not the CGC grade was incorrect? I thought once cracked the CGC grade would be invalid. - Just trying to learn...

What it means is that if you buy a raw book from me and I've graded it at, say, VF/NM (9.0), and you subsequently send it to CGC and it comes back a VF (8.0) or worse, I'll refund you the original purchase price, shipping both ways and your grading fee. (thumbs u

What it means is that if you buy a raw book from me and I've graded it at, say, VF/NM (9.0), and you subsequently send it to CGC and it comes back a VF (8.0) or worse, I'll refund you the original purchase price, shipping both ways and your grading fee. (thumbs u

(worship) This is why you are successful.

there's a better likelihood the book would come back 9.6 than 8.0

When I was a n00b I bought a raw X-Men 94 VF from Samco (bad seller) on eBay. The comic was probably F/VF at best and had an undisclosed signature on the first page. From then on I buy my key books slabbed.

What's the deal with that guy and the giant fonts that he uses in his listings?

You literally can't read it. Maybe that's the idea.