• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm sure this thread exists somewhere.....

111 posts in this topic

But for resurrection's sake, let's see what the general concensus of this board is to this age-old question:

What is the ULTIMATE key for each generation (GA, SA, BA)?

Is there any argument that Action 1 (GA), AF 15 (SA), and TMNT 1 (BA, debatable), are the marquee/landmark books of their generation as of now?

What do you guys foresee giving these copies an eventual run for their money (see what I did there) in the next couple of decades.

Discuss or flame me, your choice!

You nailed down the big ones. I'd consider TMNT a Copper comic though. What about Bronze though? Cerebus?

As far as modern, so far it looks like Walking Dead, doesn't it? As far as actual big published comics. Some self published and small press stuff is far more interesting to me, and can come with a hefty price tag, but WD is the modern to have right?

My short list of BA keys is:

Green Lantern 76

GSXM 1

X-Men 94

Hulk 181

ASM 121, 122, 129

I'd include Conan 1 and Stars Wars 1 for debate purposes.

Exactly my list, except I'd add House of Secrets #92 and All Star Western #10

Action 1- GA

AF 15 - SA

Hulk 181 - BA

Turtles 1 - CA

Pretty sure this with WD 1 for moderns is pretty accurate. Probably the greatest age of debate would be bronze. Think there's some good arguments for GSX 1 and GL 76.

Action 1- GA

AF 15 - SA

Hulk 181 - BA

Turtles 1 - CA

+1

please also add

Walking Dead 1 - Modern

This would be my list, though I would give the "modern" key a "conditional" place, since it takes some time to see what holds onto its "key" status long term. Though Walking Dead is doing all the right things (not a flood of #1s on the market, cross-media property success, known by non-comic fans)...

but if say in 5 years Mouse Guard has a successful series of major movies that become "THE" kids movie of the generation and those kids become adults and start seeking out the source material, driving up the already high price for the small press #1 release of Mouse Guard... then maybe its not Walking Dead... but for now it sure is!

My short list of BA keys is:

Green Lantern 76

GSXM 1

X-Men 94

Hulk 181

ASM 121, 122, 129

I'd include Conan 1 and Stars Wars 1 for debate purposes.

Exactly my list, except I'd add House of Secrets #92 and All Star Western #10

With the prices its been getting lately, Iron Man 55 is creeping into the discussion :gossip:

Action 1- GA

AF 15 - SA

Hulk 181 - BA

Turtles 1 - CA

+1

please also add

Walking Dead 1 - Modern

This would be my list, though I would give the "modern" key a "conditional" place, since it takes some time to see what holds onto its "key" status long term. Though Walking Dead is doing all the right things (not a flood of #1s on the market, cross-media property success, known by non-comic fans)...

but if say in 5 years Mouse Guard has a successful series of major movies that become "THE" kids movie of the generation and those kids become adults and start seeking out the source material, driving up the already high price for the small press #1 release of Mouse Guard... then maybe its not Walking Dead... but for now it sure is!

The only reason I didn't include a "Modern" top key is that the market is fickle and everything is too new at this point to crown it.

But, if I had to pick one right now, it would have to be Walking Dead 1 by 100 miles.

And, as far as BA books go, Hulk 181 is the clear top book.

Other books (GSX, GL, etc...) are important, for sure, but 1st Wolverine is the king.

At least until Avengers 2 :gossip:

For Modern comics, I can understand Walking Dead 1 being up there, but as a Key I would consider Ultimate Spider-Man 1 as a Modern key as it helped relaunch and refresh a lot of titles - IMHO (shrug)

Lower moderately high grades of Hulk #181 and GL #76 are close,

IH 181 in 9.0 $1224 (12 mo)

GL #76 in 9.0 $1320 (12 mo)

but since GL #76 is so rare in 9.2+ grades the price jumps well past Hulk #181.

I think (strangely) some of the reason Hulk #181 gets thought of as "Key" is its availability to own (who wants a key to be impossible to find?!?!?)

There are 8x as many Hulks graded vs GL #76s

For Modern comics, I can understand Walking Dead 1 being up there, but as a Key I would consider Ultimate Spider-Man 1 as a Modern key as it helped relaunch and refresh a lot of titles - IMHO (shrug)

but from the collecting hobby you'd agree that Walking Dead is key?

Here's how I decide. If I had a USM #1 in 9.8 and someone offered me a Walking Dead #1 9.8 would I do the trade?

if the answer is yes, then you know which one is KEY.

Other books (GSX, GL, etc...) are important, for sure, but 1st Wolverine is the king.

1st Thanos is never going to surpass 1st Wolverine as the top book.

You can't erase 30 years of Wolverine with 1 movie.

Hulk #181 is unquestionably the most popular bronze book out there. No book gets asked about more at shows. Even non comic collectors stop to look at them.

1st Thanos is never going to surpass 1st Wolverine as the top book.

I actually agree but if he's the major villain in the next movie and it as good as the 1st and breaks all the box office records, it could get REALLY close (shrug)

The prices i've been seeing for even raw copies of IM55 lately have been CRAZY!!! I have to get my copy graded ASAP!